Fans, please dont boo and throw stuff at the players

I attended the Iowa/PSU game with a good friend who grew up in the shadows of the PSU stadium in Happy Valley. We have gone to games together in Iowa City and Happy Valley when Iowa and PSU play each other. He has endured watching PSU get beaten up by the Hawks on numerous occasions. He loves Kinnick stadium, Iowa City (espec. Pagliais' Pizza), and most importantly, how he is treated by Iowa fans even when he decks out in his PSU gear!

Here are two quotes from my friend:

"I have never seen a stadium empty out prior to the end of the game like the fans did at Kinnick tonight."

"I have never hear fans boo the players at a PSU, or any other college football game."

Shame on us. Just, Shame on us.

Ahh Penn State.... somehow I think your gentle friend here shouldn't be preaching from his moral righteous high horse when with what just happened at his school.

Never booing or leaving early? I call major bull**** on that one..

I will never feel sorry for Football players are coaches because JUST because they are losing and getting the ire of the crowd.

What I wouldn't give to run down the field in Kinnick to catch a pass or run into someone.

Please - it's funny how all this moral perspective is really lacking.

Booing is meaningless - i don't boo because I don't want to sound like Im from 1935.

Maybe in 1885 football existed for some other reason

But college football exists in the form it does now because of fans. We are what drive it - the money the fame the drama

I'm sorry I don't feel sorry for those that get to live a dream. If i was a player I could tell you that i'd hardly give two ***** if fans were booing or throwing towels. I'm worried about playing.

So the NCAA should start handing out try hard ribbons and trophies so we can all feel good about a mediocre product at the end of the year? This isn't youth soccer and you aren't gonna win many games of national relevance with that many Iowa kids starting. We don't exactly turn out top level skill players. :rolleyes:

I will never feel sorry for Football players are coaches because JUST because they are losing and getting the ire of the crowd.

What I wouldn't give to run down the field in Kinnick to catch a pass or run into someone.

Please - it's funny how all this moral perspective is really lacking.

Booing is meaningless - i don't boo because I don't want to sound like Im from 1935.

Maybe in 1885 football existed for some other reason

But college football exists in the form it does now because of fans. We are what drive it - the money the fame the drama

I'm sorry I don't feel sorry for those that get to live a dream. If i was a player I could tell you that i'd hardly give two ***** if fans were booing or throwing towels. I'm worried about playing.

I risk almost as big of a chance of getting my butt shot off here as you do, but you make a very compelling point.

I went to my first game in late 1950's and saw some great games. I also saw Gary Snook get booed by his own fans in the mid 1960's. I did not understand it then as I was only around 13-14. I saw some pretty bad Iowa teams.

I have never and will never boo a hawk player unless they were to totally go berserk and stomp and kick an opponent which I do not foresee. I am not going to boo, heckle or throw things at 18-22 year old amateur student-athletes. They are very young men doing what the coaches tell them and coach them to do. NOne of us when we played sports ever wanted to be booed as we tried our hardest but many times failed to win.

These men cannot help it if they are not fast, strong, or quick enough and cant jump as high or catch and throw and tackle as well as other teams. I missed yesterday's game which was only one of a handful of games I have missed in the last 40 years. My son and others told me about the fans throwing towels at the players and probably coaches.

Booing does not help at all as the players knew they were failing. We need recruits, we need to find a couple tim dwights, a couple mo browns and cj jones, a brad banks and drew tate, play makers, like them and roth, babineux, sash and greenway. We need more overall speed, size, and ability.

The coaches need to recruit better athletes. Throwing stuff at players and booing them will not help.

I can understand your sentiments, but to say the coaches need to recruit better athletes is a terrible conclusion. Iowa has some fantastic athletes in football, but the problem is the coaches. I just have a hard time blaming a lot of talented hard working players when the other team is obviously better coached.

I am just telling you what my friend said. You are WAY off base on your criticism of him for being a PSU fan. He has been one of the strongest critics of the PSU coaches and administration. He has supported the severe penalties they have deservedly been given. Like me, he knows, and apparently you don't, that the kids from PSU and the coaching staff under O'Brien had absolutely nothing to do with the disgusting behavior of the University. BTW, he has been a college football official, has been hired to officiate NFL pre season scrimmages, and has been to a lot of stadiums. When you make assumptions about people without knowing anything about them, you are being pretty dumb.

The booing speaks loudly to the recruits. Not the fan base I'd want to play for.

You mean the fan base that is well known to bowl reps as a fan base that travels well to bowl games and supports it team, and makes Iowa an attractive choice? Iowa has some of the best fans out there.

Booing is just fans making a noise to voice their displeasure. Not like it's shouting personal insults at the players. The whole booing thing is way overblown IMO. If I was a recruit, I'd be looking more at the fact that Iowa was down 38-0 in the 3rd quarter on its home field (and would not be surprised at the boos). I would also notice that the stadium was packed and decked out all in black & gold. What horrible fans!!!

Throwing things at the players is WAY out of bounds, though.

Of course you are right, but I think you have to cut the Iowa fans a little slack. It isn't like it was in the 50s, when you could buy a season ticket for $25. Fans now are asked to invest thousands of dollars for these tickets, not to mention additional contributions to the Univ. of Iowa Foundation. Then, we pay a coach $4 million (FOUR MILLION) each year to coach a bunch of kids. You shouldn't be surprised that expectations go up, and then anger ensues when the team performs poorly. Not to mention the fact that Iowa the previous week beat a team, on the road, that is probably overall a better team than Penn State (or at least was projected to be better before the season).

It was a very frustrating and puzzling evening, to say the least.

I find your screen name quite appropriate. If you cannot handle getting blown out without booing then a child is EXACTLY what you are.

I am just telling you what my friend said. You are WAY off base on your criticism of him for being a PSU fan. He has been one of the strongest critics of the PSU coaches and administration. He has supported the severe penalties they have deservedly been given. Like me, he knows, and apparently you don't, that the kids from PSU and the coaching staff under O'Brien had absolutely nothing to do with the disgusting behavior of the University. BTW, he has been a college football official, has been hired to officiate NFL pre season scrimmages, and has been to a lot of stadiums. When you make assumptions about people without knowing anything about them, you are being pretty dumb.

I still don't believe that Penn State fans have never booed or left games early.

And you are "pretty dumb" if you think I'm supposed to take your word about some character I don't even know.

Sorry sounds like BS to me.

M

Latest posts