Eric May

Bigtenchamp

pretty good example of physical/mental toughness...

Honestly never thought I'd say id be missing him early in his career...

But he would really help at the moment.

I said a long time ago that we don't have a "stopper" for the defensive side of the game that can begin to rival Eric. The only surprise about his contributions was that he also seldom committed a turnover, he rebounded very well, and he gave you some spectacular, well timed offensive firepower. I miss him.

I think the same or more could be said of Matt Gatens his senior season. You would start 3 scoring guards that also hold their own on the defensive end. You then also move White back to the 4 where I feel he plays his best and have Woody at the 5. That still theoretically leaves a bench with Sapp, Oglesby, Uthoff, Basabi, and Olesani.

May was mentally tough, as was Gatens before him and Cole before him.

The seniors on this team are everything mentally that you dont want to be.

What exactly would Eric May be doing that would make things any different?? He was a lone senior and had no discernible talent, so every time he came in the game all you had was "mentally tough, intangible, team leader" BS since there wasn't much else to talk about. He didn't have some X-Men superpower where when he stepped on the court all five players would immediately cease screwing up. Trust me, having more Uthoff and McCabe has paid off more times in tangible attributes than Eric May ever could with his "intangible" leadership.

What exactly would Eric May be doing that would make things any different?? He was a lone senior and had no discernible talent, so every time he came in the game all you had was "mentally tough, intangible, team leader" BS since there wasn't much else to talk about. He didn't have some X-Men superpower where when he stepped on the court all five players would immediately cease screwing up. Trust me, having more Uthoff and McCabe has paid off more times in tangible attributes than Eric May ever could with his "intangible" leadership.

Wow. Thunder dunks, much?

Remind me, how many NCAA tournament games did May play in? Iowa was choking away leads with him on the floor last year too. Would have been nice if May could have scored more than 2 points in our B10 tournament loss to MSU in 23 mins, really showed his toughness there. Or his combined 5 points in our first three B10 games last year, all of which we lost. Hey he was good in the NIT though!

These two trolls must have not watched Eric May play defense last year... Eric May wasn't much for most of his career but last year he was a tough customer.

He was basically the only clutch player we had last year.. he didn't score a lot.. but when it really mattered he wasn't afraid.

the problem is most of his career he didn't know what is roll was and wasn't in any "when it really mattered" situations.

Then why the hell is he mentally tough and the players this year aren't (you don't know, unless you can read ******* minds) who is mentally tough. It's just a stupid intangible that sports fans throw out there because some stuff in sports can't really be explained and it makes sense to just make something up.

How about May was a good defender last year but struggled at other things. And how about our three seniors just have deficiencies in their games that get exploited at times. You have no clue what players are thinking.

These two trolls must have not watched Eric May play defense last year... Eric May wasn't much for most of his career but last year he was a tough customer.

He was basically the only clutch player we had last year.. he didn't score a lot.. but when it really mattered he wasn't afraid.

the problem is most of his career he didn't know what is roll was and wasn't in any "when it really mattered" situations.

LOL at this entire post. "He didn't score a lot but when it really mattered he wasn't afraid" What the **** does that mean? He couldn't help us do what we needed most to win but he wasn't scared. He only scored 2 points in 23 mins against MSU in a must win game to make the NCAA's but hey he wasn't scared guys. I don't know if you've watched the last two home games genius, but we need a guy who can make a ******* shot. Not someone who is going to take 2 or 3 shots a game and spend most his time "not being scared out there". Seems to me like May was scared to score when that's what we needed most last year.

The one and only tangible asset that Eric May possessed was his leaping ability. Dude could jump through the roof.

[video=youtube;m22AKGfUJHU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m22AKGfUJHU[/video]

May is playing in Japan in the BJ League. He is averaging 10 ppg which is around 75th in the league. He doesn't start.

LOL at this entire post. "He didn't score a lot but when it really mattered he wasn't afraid" What the **** does that mean? He couldn't help us do what we needed most to win but he wasn't scared. He only scored 2 points in 23 mins against MSU in a must win game to make the NCAA's but hey he wasn't scared guys. I don't know if you've watched the last two home games genius, but we need a guy who can make a ******* shot. Not someone who is going to take 2 or 3 shots a game and spend most his time "not being scared out there". Seems to me like May was scared to score when that's what we needed most last year.

Scoring was not Eric May's thing really.... you must have missed his defense last year or that our defense overall was way better last year... had a lot to do with May's ability on defense.

Just ask Fran - its funny how you get your panties all in a bunch.

All the coaches would back me up on this hardcore - and not out of a spirit of allegiance either.

And to all you guys acting like you can't measure mental toughness...

Good free throw shooters missing front ends... players rushing things, panicking on defense.

Choking the game away against ISU.

I can certainly see the lack of mental toughness and Fran has said it over and over.