Eric May

Apparently some grew bored with ripping on current players and are going to start working backwards in time. I can't believe there's May bashing...wish we still had him.

Man, that Jim Bartels really struggled at times, huh! And, Don Nelson was slow on defense. :)

May rarely made mistakes. He had limitations, but when we needed a big shot (see Virginia game), a steal and dunk, or just a good defensive series, he shined. When he was healthy last year he was a joy to watch.

We needed lots of big shots last year. We could have used a big shot against MSU (twice) against Indiana at home, against Wisconsin and Minnesota and Purdue on the roads. But we didn't get any from May then.

Yup, still serious with this post.

So basically Dennis Rodman was also horrible... you know he couldn't shoot or score.

I said 1000 times I never though Eric May was good on offense... you and hawk fan keeping beating that into the ground.

I said Eric May was good on defense.. it's not hard to understand... On a basketball team people have different roles they play.... some guys are more rebounders... some guys shoot from the outside.

This isn't a hard concept to understand you just want to keep arguing about nothing.

Apparently some grew bored with ripping on current players and are going to start working backwards in time. I can't believe there's May bashing...wish we still had him.

May was used as a weapon to slam this year's current team. People are just point out the flaws in doing so.

pretty good example of physical/mental toughness...

Honestly never thought I'd say id be missing him early in his career...

But he would really help at the moment.

This was my post... starting this thread... clearly a "Slam" on this years team...

lol

So basically Dennis Rodman was also horrible... you know he couldn't shoot or score.

I said 1000 times I never though Eric May was good on offense... you and hawk fan keeping beating that into the ground.

I said Eric May was good on defense.. it's not hard to understand... On a basketball team people have different roles they play.... some guys are more rebounders... some guys shoot from the outside.

This isn't a hard concept to understand you just want to keep arguing about nothing.

Nothing you have said in this post contradicts anything I said. My argument has always been that mental toughness can't be quantified. You said it could be.

Yup, still serious with this post.

Since the post was serious I will assist with a larger sample size...addresses your concern. These are Mike Gesell's high school free throw stats for his freshman and sophomore years...can't find junior and senior years.

F - 114/136 = 83.9%
S - 71/92 = 81.6%

It's possible that Gessel wasn't a good free throw shooter last year but had some luck, it's not like 50 free throws is a great representative sample size. Maybe after shooting 100 free throws he's really a 60% free throw shooter (definitely not uncommon for that to happen in any statistical study)Who knows? I mean, he could be "mentally weak" but since I have no idea what he's thinking it seems weird to call out someone I don't know for being so.

50 of 63 isn't attainable by accident. Here are the problems:

Two starters-
2013-81% FT
2014-67% FT
-14 overnight

Two diff. starters-
2013- 72% FT
2014- 78% FT
+6 overnight

Remaining Starter and Backup
2013-59% FT
2014-72% FT
+13 overnight

You so know what's coming don't you? The first duo are the starting guards, one matured out of a freshman and the other into a senior. The next starters are White and Basabe. Rebounding big men who HATE anything shooting related can still make an improvement their later years. What about that THIRD duo, who increased by the same thing our Point Guards lost?? They combine for 14+ feet of raw, inexperienced Center whose FT shots look almost as natural as The Human Centipede did. Our Power Forwards and Centers improved, our Guards didn't. In fact, they plummeted.

Mental?? LMAO does anyone actually just check any of this out first? Here are 3 things that can cause a player stress: 1- BIG game, 2- Late FT to tie or take the lead, 3- THEY want to come back on US and are coming pretty fast. That last one is Illinois in spades. OSU and MSU are certainly the other two. Gesell: 75% in those games, compared to vs Nebraska, Minny and NW where he hit on only 54%. Add that to Marble's huge 9-point FT difference from OOC to B1G schedule and you got one big false worry.

No, the OSU and Illinois road wins had them take 5-8 point *take off* leads, where one more nail and we would've been finished. We won those by 10 and 7. Getting stops, plus maximizing EVERY possession, as well as hitting the free throws? 2 out of 3 would've worked, I wish we would have sent one towards MSU and Wisky.

You mean 5x NBA champion Dennis Rodman? Yeah he was mentally tough, he did what was needed to win games. May didn't do what was needed to win games, he was a senior captain on a team that couldn't even get to the NCAA tournament.

pretty good example of physical/mental toughness...

Honestly never thought I'd say id be missing him early in his career...

But he would really help at the moment.

This was my post... starting this thread... clearly a "Slam" on this years team...

lol

Yeah, I missed the slam part of that post.

Since the post was serious I will assist with a larger sample size...addresses your concern. These are Mike Gesell's high school free throw stats for his freshman and sophomore years...can't find junior and senior years.

F - 114/136 = 83.9%
S - 71/92 = 81.6%

And that's fine but that doesn't change the fact that there could be other reasons for his low free throw percentage aside from mental toughness issues. It COULD BE a mental toughness issue but it could be something else. Maybe he grew an inch and hasn't adjusted, maybe, maybe he has a small cut on his finger that changes his release, maybe Carver rims are changed a bit, who knows, the point is, there isn't enough evidence to conclusively say that his free throw percentage is due to some kind of mental softness.

And that's fine but that doesn't change the fact that there could be other reasons for his low free throw percentage aside from mental toughness issues. It COULD BE a mental toughness issue but it could be something else. Maybe he grew an inch and hasn't adjusted, maybe, maybe he has a small cut on his finger that changes his release, maybe Carver rims are changed a bit, who knows, the point is, there isn't enough evidence to conclusively say that his free throw percentage is due to some kind of mental softness.

I guess I'm not locked in on the gist of the back and forth. I wasn't intending to address mental toughness. I was simply saying Gesell has always been a good free throw shooter and this year is likely an aberration...will likely be over 80% his junior and senior seasons.

In response to your post specifically...he couldn't play in the overseas trip due to a wrist (or was it hand) injury. There certainly could be some lingering effects which need the off season to heal completely.

May's tough. This year's team isn't (based off of inconclusive evidence. I would say that's a slam but whatever, I won't argue over semantics.

Thats all you are doing.. you are arguing over the word MEASURE... which you seem to think means you have to have a ruler and thermometer to measure anything.

What an Ironic post.

Eric May was one of the biggest whipping boys of the message boards until about halfway thru last season...now he is a fan favorite?

Matt Gatens got ripped all the time until his last season.

Zach McCabe is now the object of scorn.....I predict in March he will get hot and the same fan will love him.

Eric May was one of the biggest whipping boys of the message boards until about halfway thru last season...now he is a fan favorite?

Matt Gatens got ripped all the time until his last season.

Zach McCabe is now the object of scorn.....I predict in March he will get hot and the same fan will love him.

The only issue I ever had with Gatens was his 3% percentage his sophomore and junior seasons.. I knew he was a better shooter than that, and he more for atoned for it his senior year.

May.. He played well as a senior and I knew he was always a role player, not a go to guy, and did about what I would have expected out of a senior. He was solid and didn't make mistakes, but was never going to be all Big 10. Ditto for McCabe.

I would love for you to be right about McCabe getting hot in March.