Eric May

You can't measure mental toughness.

I guess what the marines have been doing for 100 years is all a fallacy.

And by measure I don't mean you get out a protractor or a thermometer... I mean you can assess it.

Some guys have talent but just wilt under pressure...in all walks of life not just sports.. its amazing me atm bcl20 that a person who seems pretty smart can't understand the concept of mental toughness

Last edited:
All that missing the front end of one and one free throws tells me is that a guy who is a 70% free throw shooter is just missing one of the 3 out of every 10 free throws that he misses at that moment. What one person sees as a guy rushing and panicking on defense could just be a guy playing bad defense. You don't really know which one is which.

Then why the hell is he mentally tough and the players this year aren't (you don't know, unless you can read ******* minds) who is mentally tough. It's just a stupid intangible that sports fans throw out there because some stuff in sports can't really be explained and it makes sense to just make something up.

How about May was a good defender last year but struggled at other things. And how about our three seniors just have deficiencies in their games that get exploited at times. You have no clue what players are thinking.

Have to agree. Eric May was a very good role player, and didn't make mistakes. But, that's what you expect out of seniors.

The "toughness" thing is what people throw out when you aren't winning. I seem to remember a certain coach sandwiched between Tom Davis and Todd Lickliter that constantly threw out the "lack of toughness" thing after every loss, too. But what does it mean?

The team could get tougher. Or, it could shoot better than 3-20 from three and allow less than 43% from three like it did vs. OSU, or less than 14 3's surrendered against Villanova. Iowa could limit opponent's offensive rebounds. Stop dribble penetration. Take better care of the ball in the half court offense. Make a higher percentage of FT's in a tight game. Just to name a few things.

All that missing the front end of one and one free throws tells me is that a guy who is a 70% free throw shooter is just missing one of the 3 out of every 10 free throws that he misses at that moment. What one person sees as a guy rushing and panicking on defense could just be a guy playing bad defense. You don't really know which one is which.

We're not talking about a 70 % free throw shooter missing his 3 free throws... were talking about an 80% free throw shooter who all the sudden can't make his free throws in clutch situations.

You are just being stubborn and silly.

Mental toughness is as real as anything.

You are being ridiculous sorry.

Comparing marines to college basketball. Now there's an apples to oranges comparison if I've ever seen one.

Lol you must have not had a lot of coaches I had growing up... they were pretty much drill instructors.

Honestly you are being just as ridiculous if you don't think mental toughness exists.

I'm just floored atm by the logical hole you guys want to dig yourself into out of stubborness.

99% of the coaches at all level of sports would disagree with this bizarre stance on mental toughness.

Scoring was not Eric May's thing really.... you must have missed his defense last year or that our defense overall was way better last year... had a lot to do with May's ability on defense.

Just ask Fran - its funny how you get your panties all in a bunch.

All the coaches would back me up on this hardcore - and not out of a spirit of allegiance either.

We're 34th overall in defense this year, we were 22nd last year. Also, not having to play 4 on 5 on offense when May was out there has allowed us to go from 51st to 6th in offense this year. Can't find any where we rank in any toughness rankings yet, but I will let you know when I find those.

We're 34th overall in defense this year, we were 22nd last year. Also, not having to play 4 on 5 on offense when May was out there has allowed us to go from 51st to 6th in offense this year. Can't find any where we rank in any toughness rankings yet, but I will let you know when I find those.

so our defense was better last year thanks for confirming it with statistics.

so our defense was better last year thanks for confirming it with statistics.

Our team was worse, May was the captain of a team that went 2-7 in conference games decided by 4 points or less. Yeah, lot of mental toughness there LOL. When the game was on the line last year, May was captain of a team that failed over and over again.

We're not talking about a 70 % free throw shooter missing his 3 free throws... were talking about an 80% free throw shooter who all the sudden can't make his free throws in clutch situations.

You are just being stubborn and silly.

Mental toughness is as real as anything.

You are being ridiculous sorry.

Who is the 80% free throw shooter?

And I never said mental toughness isn't real.

Our team was worse, May was the captain of a team that went 2-7 in conference games decided by 4 points or less. Yeah, lot of mental toughness there LOL. When the game was on the line last year, May was captain of a team that failed over and over again.

Who said our team was better last year? I didn't say that.

I said we were better on defense, and May was a big part of that.

Which your stats just backed up.

And even if an 80% shooter misses the front end of a one and one there is no way you can say, matter of factly that it was missed because of mental weakness or because it was one of the 2 out of 10 that he was going to miss.

But maybe I'm just being silly.

I'm glad that you don't know the difference between "can't measure" and "doesn't exist"

Who said our team was better last year? I didn't say that.

I said we were better on defense, and May was a big part of that.

Which your stats just backed up.

Where his mental toughness on offense? Seems to me if he was really mentally tough he would bring it on both ends.

no you and these other guys are pretty much saying it's not real... you can read what you guys wrote

Mike Gessell shot 80% last year and this year 65%... with alot of those misses coming in key situations.

You even joked about the Marines using it.

Yes, saying that something could be happening for a different reason is the same thing as saying something doesn't exist.