Eno just De-Committed per twitter

1 out of 1 verbal commit that was given the green light to go on another official visit because they swore up and down it wasn't going to change their minds......oops and it changed his mind.

Look around at other schools, ONCE THEY VERBAL all coaching staffs do everything they can to keep those verbals from officially visiting other schools. The verbal commits are still being recruited by others schools, they are in the commits ear, trying and trying and trying to get them to visit. If you let those guys through the crack and the kid is interested enough to take a visit even though they know if they do they are getting their Iowa offer pulled, then they are good as gone anyway. At least then you know where you stand and you have time to recruit other good players.

It is tough enough keeping other schools at bay. If all of a sudden your policy is to just let the kids who are verbals go an visit anywhere and everywhere you job will become 1000x tougher.
That is the problem here Dean. You and Ferentz are thinking in grown man, most of life behind you mindset. It is silly to expect high school kids to have their lives figured out at 17 and dictate to them. If you go around drawing hard lines with 17 year olds, they will never go along with you.
I know old people will say "kids these days don't get it" but the reality is that kids are the same and the old people change. The only difference today is technology.

If your son came to you and said well dad, my girl says I can't visit AND still continue to date her, is this unreasonable? What should I do dad, because even though I like her, I want to see what else is out there and I am going to take other visits.
I would say, good job son. Better to make sure now than 2 years after you get married and she runs a horrible offense.

I would say, good job son. Better to make sure now than 2 years after you get married and she runs a horrible offense.

And that is fine. Do you think it is fair to the girl, that she should just sit and wait while your son figures it out? I would guess of course not, she is going to move on, because he is undecided.

All of this is ok, I just don't get why you are absolutely trashing your sons girlfriend is all. ;)

Last edited:
That is the problem here Dean. You and Ferentz are thinking in grown man, most of life behind you mindset. It is silly to expect high school kids to have their lives figured out at 17 and dictate to them. If you go around drawing hard lines with 17 year olds, they will never go along with you.
I know old people will say "kids these days don't get it" but the reality is that kids are the same and the old people change. The only difference today is technology.

All coaches try to pressure these kids to not take other visits. Many schools have this exact same policy. The reason isn't insecurity, the reason is they know they have a way great % chance of signing a kid on signing day if they don't visit other schools.

I think its reasonable...if a kid "commits" that means he commits. He's done. If he starts looking around and taking visits it violates the agreement.

Do you hold coaches to that same standard? They dump on the kids all the time.

Also, this kind of situation is when a GOOD coach/recruiter does his best work. He tells the kid to enjoy his visits but remember that you are a player and student that we really want here at Iowa. You will be running behind NFL talent as we have put x number of offensive lineman in the NFL. We will be in touch soon!!!

This does not happen at Iowa. We are too good to have to put up with this kind of stuff..We have two or three local kids who have decommitted from Coe college that we can fall back on.

RULES? There ain't no rules in a knife fight!

Instead of imposing ridiculous rules on a 17 year old kid when trying to decide where he is going to spend the next 4 or 5 years of his life. Wouldn't it be a more reasonable/productive strategy to up your effort to maintain your relationship?

It's like being a building contractor seeking a job with a long term client and he says he is very interested in your company. Then you hear he is being wined and dined by another contractor for his business. Instead of upping your effort to secure the business, you call him up and tell him you have rules that you don't compete with other contractors for business. So please take us off your list.

IMHO, that's the reality in this situation and not some ridiculous personal set of standards that you are enforcing to try and make a point to back up your opinions on early signing/recruiting procedure.

And that is fine. Do you think it is fair to the girl, that she should just sit and wait while your son figures it out? I would guess of course not, she is going to move on, because he is undecided.

All of this is ok, I just don't get why you are absolutely trashing your sons girlfriend is all. ;)
It is fair and she should definitely not sit and wait. She can date too. But to me that is not what this sounds like. It sounds like far more than Iowa just still recruiting other running backs. They sound like they are taking back their copy of breaking Bad, season 2 even though they know they will never watch it again, just outta spite.

Here's the deal. Iowa is a hard 6. If they want to date and maybe marry an 8, they will have to understand that other 8s and 9s are gonna be calling too. If they freak out, the 8s won't stick around long. Now, they could also only go after 3s and 4s. That 3 may be a very nice person, and they may be super excited to date a 6, but you will never be the envy of anyone else with that attitude.

We are sure it has nothing to do with the piss poor product we see on the field?

It could very well be but you don't tell a player that could be a strong building block in your effort to put a better product on the field to go fly a kite because he starts to doubt you. Don't you tell him we are in need of players like you and we think we can thrive together here.

We've relinquished much of the recruiting momentum that was obtained after last season's performance. We are now trending down. We've now entered the land of the hunted due to our on field performance this year thus far. We were able to enjoy the role of the hunter for a short time but have seen that role evaporate as this season plays on.

Lucky for us, KF can do more with less.......again.......again.......again.......again.......again...........and again!!

This was the very last straw. I'm done.

Recruits are always going to change their mind. The issue here is that what kid who likely has some visions of stardom, championships, maybe NFL.... as a skill player, why would they want to go to Iowa after seeing this year. Iowa got totally dominated in that game statistically. Iowa had 83 yards rushing. The pounding Iowa rbs take against good teams is pretty severe.

Watching video of him, he doesn't seem that fast. He's a power running and kind of smallish for that. Iowa hasn't been blowing open holes. Much of what Wadley has done has been speed and quickness. Daniels appears to have higher top end.

One hates to lose a recruit. I am not optimistic about Iowa's future. Losing this guy isn't goin to make or break Iowa. I honestly can't see Iowa using him at tail back. Seems more like an Iowa type full back in some years.

If I were Enos, I would doubt my fit at Iowa and not just because of an unimaginative product on offense. After watching the video I'm not sure where he would fit in the Big Ten. Seems like a 3rd and short type back in an offense that creates space. That is not Iowa this year.

RULES? There ain't no rules in a knife fight!

Instead of imposing ridiculous rules on a 17 year old kid when trying to decide where he is going to spend the next 4 or 5 years of his life. Wouldn't it be a more reasonable/productive strategy to up your effort to maintain your relationship?

It's like being a building contractor seeking a job with a long term client and he says he is very interested in your company. Then you hear he is being wined and dined by another contractor for his business. Instead of upping your effort to secure the business, you call him up and tell him you have rules that you don't compete with other contractors for business. So please take us off your list.

IMHO, that's the reality in this situation and not some ridiculous personal set of standards that you are enforcing to try and make a point to back up your opinions on early signing/recruiting procedure.

Apples and oranges.

Lets say you have a verbal agreement to do the job, and since you accepted their verbal agreement to use you, you then let 2 or 3 other well paying good jobs go, because you only had room to do 1 job. Of course you are going to be ticked off, you reserved that spot for them, because they said it was yours. So now your choices are to sit and wait til contract signing day and HOPE they sign with you, while they are shopping anyone and everyone. Or you have months now to seek out another good job in the meantime.

It comes down to do you now trust this client who has lied to your face. I don't blame them at all for seeking a different client, one who wants to do business with them.

It is fair and she should definitely not sit and wait. She can date too. But to me that is not what this sounds like. It sounds like far more than Iowa just still recruiting other running backs. They sound like they are taking back their copy of breaking Bad, season 2 even though they know they will never watch it again, just outta spite.

Here's the deal. Iowa is a hard 6. If they want to date and maybe marry an 8, they will have to understand that other 8s and 9s are gonna be calling too. If they freak out, the 8s won't stick around long. Now, they could also only go after 3s and 4s. That 3 may be a very nice person, and they may be super excited to date a 6, but you will never be the envy of anyone else with that attitude.

The policy helps keep more players than we would lose if they allowed visits. Just my opinion, but the staff kept Fant, Lattimore, Stanley and Toks last year in part because of this. Fant and Toks had visits lined up that were canceled. Stanley and Lattimore were getting tons and tons of pressure to visit in state schools as well. Let all 4 of them go on official visits and maybe we keep 2 of them? Hankins was going to visit Michigan this weekend, but canceled that.

It is a tough call, you are going to lose verbal commits no matter what way you approach it. Yet to pretend that these coaches should just let verbals go around visiting other schools is laughable really.

Ferentz wanted to send a message that it's his way or the highway.

He is an absolute hypocrite. If he thinks a player should stay true to his commitment and not take visits then he shouldn't allow committed players to visit Iowa.

I have a message for you Kirk. Good Bye

Apples and oranges.

Lets say you have a verbal agreement to do the job, and since you accepted their verbal agreement to use you, you then let 2 or 3 other well paying good jobs go, because you only had room to do 1 job. Of course you are going to be ticked off, you reserved that spot for them, because they said it was yours. So now your choices are to sit and wait til contract signing day and HOPE they sign with you, while they are shopping anyone and everyone. Or you have months now to seek out another good job in the meantime.

It comes down to do you now trust this client who has lied to your face. I don't blame them at all for seeking a different client, one who wants to do business with them.

I haven't followed all of your posts on this but are you really defending Ferentz on this one?

Latest posts