Eno just De-Committed per twitter

I think its reasonable...if a kid "commits" that means he commits. He's done. If he starts looking around and taking visits it violates the agreement.

And yet we continue to recruit kids that are committed to other programs. It is the same thing. We want to be able to have our cake and eat it too but our committed recruits can't. Probably shouldn't talk out of both sides of our mouth

Because getting rid of Ferentz or the staff would create unknown future. At least we can almost safely predict 7 wins. I'm all for making changes now, starting with Barta. But our program needs to change. I'm not one of those that is worried about the future after ferentz.

Not gonna happen. We have 6-8 more years of this or maybe 10 if KF doesn't retire.

I haven't followed all of your posts on this but are you really defending Ferentz on this one?

You need to read my posts. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you think it is a good policy to let kids who have verbally committed to take other visits, that is a mistake.

If Eno really does want to be at Iowa, then no I'm not defending KF. If Eno is paying some lip service, but still wants to take yet more visits, then yeah KF is doing the right thing.

You need to read my posts. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you think it is a good policy to let kids who have verbally committed to take other visits, that is a mistake.

If Eno really does want to be at Iowa, then no I'm not defending KF. If Eno is paying some lip service, but still wants to take yet more visits, then yeah KF is doing the right thing.

I think in Eno's situation you just have to. The reward greatly outweighs the risk. Name one other college coach out there that pulls Eno's offer because he visits a couple other school. I bet you can't name one

I think in Eno's situation you just have to. The reward greatly outweighs the risk. Name one other college coach out there that pulls Eno's offer because he visits a couple other school. I bet you can't name one

Iowa doesn't pull the offer if they think Eno is actually going to come to Iowa City.

This has been in the works for weeks guys. Same for Calloway, neither one are coming.

Apples and oranges.

Lets say you have a verbal agreement to do the job, and since you accepted their verbal agreement to use you, you then let 2 or 3 other well paying good jobs go, because you only had room to do 1 job. Of course you are going to be ticked off, you reserved that spot for them, because they said it was yours. So now your choices are to sit and wait til contract signing day and HOPE they sign with you, while they are shopping anyone and everyone. Or you have months now to seek out another good job in the meantime.

It comes down to do you now trust this client who has lied to your face. I don't blame them at all for seeking a different client, one who wants to do business with them.

Well, you could be right about my analogy, but in my uninformed opinion. You don't give up on a 17 year old player just because he decides to rethink his options. He might be a great HS football player but he's still a 17 year old kid. I think you push the reset button, not hit the off switch.

Iowa doesn't pull the offer if they think Eno is actually going to come to Iowa City.

This has been in the works for weeks guys. Same for Calloway, neither one are coming.

I don't understand how we could lose a kid that was so invested into our program

Here's my take, and didn't read all posts up to this point so hope it's not too redundant...

A kid is 17. 17 year old's these days are flaky and that's just the way it is but if you are a D-1 prospect like this kid is, it's unbelievably exciting and in his shoes, verbally committed or not, I'm going to take advantage of my right to take official visits and see the country and other schools. That by no means, suggests that I'm not going to stick to my verbal commitment, it means I want to see some $hit.

Now, IMO the Iowa recruiters are scared $hitless of high profile recruits, want them to make verbal commitments, and put them in a box because 1) they don't get many and 2) they are not confident in Iowa and afraid that them seeing anything else is going to change their minds.

Both 1 and 2 speak to weak recruiters because it seems we rarely target these kids and focus on FCS, MAC, etc. level recruits and hope to "develop" them. We should be confident in both our facilities, fans, and brand of football that when a kid commits, if he sees other places, Iowa will still be the best. I don't know if we are that confident as a program. Granted you need to be firm and not let recruits walk over you, but if you want to raise your level of play consistently, seems to start with the most basic element of a team...the players. If we are losing out on 4/5* kids...then I think that's an issue that needs to be addressed and corrected, not avoided and go for low hanging fruit, which KF and staff do. Excellence is not demanded at this program. Sure hard work is, but lets be honest about where our players peak and those of actual successful programs.

The staff needs to take advantage of those players and we see year after year our staff have underperforming teams. Whether that's due to the ineffectiveness of the coaches or low entry level recruits, is debatable. One constant prevails. A WEAK AD doesn't help. (I think Barta is the least successful AD in collegiate sports for real)

I mentioned this in another post...WI has had 3 coaches in the last 7 years average 10 wins a season...IA 1 coach average 8 wins in the same span. How does that happen when you're supposed to suffer when a new coach comes in?

Time for a change? Probably. But it starts with a systemic change where winning is demanded.

I don't understand how we could lose a kid that was so invested into our program

He wasn't invested, that is what caused this. He was reconsidering what he wants, it happens. The staff certainly didn't want this to happen, they have been working on him since he was a So.

He wasn't invested, that is what caused this. He was reconsidering what he wants, it happens. The staff certainly didn't want this to happen, they have been working on him since he was a So.

You serious Clark?

The kid put in an amazing amount of time championing our program. Basically did the coaching staff's job for them in Texas. I've never seen a kid work so hard to get other top talent to come with him. This kid was as committed as it gets at one point. The question is, what happened and how did Iowa's coaching staff let it get to this point.

You don't know how invested he was. At worst case we were still the leader for him right now, with a kid with that talent you take that risk all the way to February

I've pretty much lost all respect I had for you.

Sounds like to me his offer was pulled more than anything

Is this for real? If so, this royally ticks me off, because if you pull a scholly offer from a 4* TX recruit just because you're butthurt that he is taking other visits.... So, we ONLY want players who ONLY consider Iowa? Who the heck do we think we are? Uh, it's college sports recruiting - there is going to be competition.

Insert face palm image here.

Nice move, Kirk.

I give up on this program as long as this guy is in charge.

Latest posts