Don't tell me ISU doesn't get more fired up for this game than Iowa

You've got to be f*cking kidding. Not at all. Proof is in the videos and Rhoad's reaction.

Is Wisconsin our Super Bowl? Is Penn State? How about Michigan? We stormed the field after beating those teams in 2008/2009. That doesn't make it our Super Bowl. Not talking about Iowa vs whomever. Talking about ISU making this game more important than Iowa.

It was a rivalry game. NOT their Super Bowl. This is such a tired and f*cking childish rationalization, and I'm sick of fans throwing it around. They won because they were the better team, not because they were just playing way beyond their means to beat the Hawks. They're better than we are right now. It IS their superbowl....every year. Cursing is childish. I never said they didn't deserve to win, and, I'm not back-handing anything.

Rhoads was plenty animated after beating Nebraska two years ago, high-fiving fans all over the place. That's just his personality. Ferentz doesn't do any of that. That's HIS personality. So in other words, he only high-fives after "big" games....face it, this was a watermark game for him and his rebuilding of the program. I'll stand by my observation....this game meant more to ISU this year than Iowa...and typically, every year.

What does THAT matter? Wont change the outcome. I know you think we sprinkle magic dust over the players before we play the Hawks, but that's not the case. Even if we don't do well the rest of the season doesn't change we beat you. Just means we play harder teams than what Iowa is (Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Texas, aTm, Baylor, Missouri).

Look, obviously isu spanked iowa all over the field yesterday. They deserved to win. But do you think historically that they DON'T turn it up a notch against Iowa? They almost always overperform in that game. And they deserve credit for that.

Fine. Sit back, poo-poo the fact that ISU is a better team right now. We'll figure it out, ISU will fall apart, blah blah blah.

I don't get how ISU wanting to win this game more than Iowa makes it their Super Bowl. It's the nature of competition. The team who wants it more will win. But it's only their Super Bowl if they put more emphasis on the Iowa game than they do for any other game on their schedule. While it may have been true under Mac, it isn't anymore. They just wanted to win this game more than we did.

Look, obviously isu spanked iowa all over the field yesterday. They deserved to win. But do you think historically that they DON'T turn it up a notch against Iowa? They almost always overperform in that game. And they deserve credit for that.

No more than iowa turns it up against ISU. The last couple years the ISU game has been one of Iowa's best performances, and one of ISU's worse. If anything the last couple years it was Iowa's superbowl and the exact opposite for ISU. And this year? ISU did damn near everything it could to lose that game. Fumbles in the red zone, missed field goals, penalties, etc.

Right on. Don't know why ISU fans or others get their panties in a wad over the fact ISU puts more into this game than Iowa does.

So... if ISU cares more, is that our problem or yours? Honest question. Is it bad that we want to win this game?

Right on. Don't know why ISU fans or others get their panties in a wad over the fact ISU puts more into this game than Iowa does.

Again, that doesn't make it their Super Bowl. It's just another big game. And as stated before, our players care quite a bit about winning this game, and they were pretty hard on themselves in the post-game. That doesn't sound like a bunch of guys that consider this game as just another day at the office.

So... if ISU cares more, is that our problem or yours? Honest question. Is it bad that we want to win this game?

Definitely ours....look, it's not a moral failing ISU turns it up a notch or two against Iowa. But to say they don't isn't accurate. I don't think Iowa turns it up a notch or two against ISU...that's what I'm saying.

And I'm not saying ISU won because it turned it up a notch....you beat us in every facet of the game.

No more than iowa turns it up against ISU. The last couple years the ISU game has been one of Iowa's best performances, and one of ISU's worse. If anything the last couple years it was Iowa's superbowl and the exact opposite for ISU. And this year? ISU did damn near everything it could to lose that game. Fumbles in the red zone, missed field goals, penalties, etc.

In the 2009 season our super bowl was the Orange Bowl which we won (I recommend you guys give it a shot some day). In the 2010 season our super bowl was our Insight Bowl victory against Mizzou.

They do turn it up more. Any rival turns it up more in a rivalry game. Red Sox Yanks, Steelers Ravens, Lakers Celtics. Florida Georgia, Iowa Ohio St... you get the point. Ferentz needs to turn it up a notch too if he treats it like a normal game like Tenn Tech. Iowa plays like Kirk's personality. If we do turn it up a notch and "overperform" that's a credit to us. But, this year, I don't think we overperformed. I think Iowa stinks. Secondary stinks, and besides McNutt you have no legit weapons. Should have won by more. If it is our Super Bowl and we "over perform", why did we get absolutely smoked in '09 and '10?

Last edited:
Definitely ours....look, it's not a moral failing ISU turns it up a notch or two against Iowa. But to say they don't isn't accurate. I don't think Iowa turns it up a notch or two against ISU...that's what I'm saying.

And I'm not saying ISU won because it turned it up a notch....you beat us in every facet of the game.

We dont need to turn it up against ISU, they aren't even in our league... not a legend, def not a leader... we'll just put them in the "follower" category. am I right big guy?!

Man, I do love your "1990 Hayden Fry Coaching Days" attitude towards the clowns!

It's amazing to me how many hawk fans were wearing "Beat State" shirts on yesterday. I assume you see a lot of people with "Beat Illinois" shirts on when they are in town? I assume a lot of Indiana fans wear shirts about Iowa?

We all know the deal, this happens every time ISU wins.

It's their superbowl
Iowa is a better team but ISU played better
KOK should be fired
His hand had cramps
We have no reason to play them
blah blah blah

As far as importance for ISU, I would put it on the same level as beating an OU, Texas, or Nebraska squad when they are just decent. I can promise you that a win over #1 OU would be the biggest win in school history and beating a top 10 opponent would be bigger than any Iowa win.

I never stated (in fact quite the opposite) that ISU didn't deserve to win the game. They did....fair and square.

I was pointing out the theatric antics from the crowd and especially the coach after winning a "big game" as others have put it, which, truly, supports the fact the game is always ISU's superbowl.

Rhoads went crazy after beating Texas and Nebraska? Gosh, his actions yesterday puts lil ol "just another game" Iowa on some pretty high ground.

If Rhoads only goes crazy for Super Bowls then ISU plays multiple super bowls every year.

IF ISU beats UCONN the Texas game after that will be bigger than yesterday's Iowa game and I bet Paul is a bit excited.

Last edited:
Fran McCaffery hit up high fives with a bunch of people after the court storming win over Purdue. I have no problem with that and I have no problem with Rhoads doing it either. I love seeing passion in sports.

You do realize the last few years it has come out that Iowa has been practicing for ISU before Iowa plays their first game right? Keith Murphy has said this multiple times on his radio show and sports sound off. Yes, ISU puts more into the game then Iowa does.:rolleyes:

Iowa players are starting to play like they are coached... uninspired, unemotional, no fire, scared, very very cautius,...just like the coaching staff. After the end of last year and the beginning of this year, Iowa fans are watching this staff take Iowa down from a potentially high level to a middle of the pack level from which it will not recover. Unless this staff begins to adapt to modern college football Iowa is going to lose more games than it wins in the coming years.
I agree with the sentiment, but this effect varies from game to game.

Iowa needs no emotion in games like Purdue, Michigan State, or Indiana. Just play and win most of them.

But against rivals, or against teams with emotional coaches who can fire up their teams, Iowa's workmanlike, even keel approach works against them.

This is exactly why Iowa struggles against Northwestern and Iowa State and fares much better against better opposition.

Now that Indiana has a fiery coach, they're likely going to be harder to beat, too.

Fran McCaffery hit up high fives with a bunch of people after the court storming win over Purdue. I have no problem with that and I have no problem with Rhoads doing it either. I love seeing passion in sports.

And because we 'cared' more about that Purdue game that they did, is why we won. :eek:

I think fans and coaches from both programs should be fired up about this game. We are a small state; no professional teams ... and the majority of people in the state are either ISU or Iowa fans. I know my heart gets beating faster for this game than any other on the schedule. As yesterday showed, anything can happen and toss out previous year's performance, etc., when these two teams meet. It was a he** of a game ... no matter which team we were rooting for ... The most exciting game in the series ... Our fans have rushed the field plenty of times ... The rivalry is good for the state ... All of that being said ... ISU fans probably do get a little more excited because every year they hear about how Iowa is going to take them to the woodshed ...

Latest posts