Don't tell me ISU doesn't get more fired up for this game than Iowa

Rhoads has acted that way after wins at Texas and Nebraska as well. He does it after big wins. This game means the same to each team. You have 12 games in a season and if you get up for some more than others, you are dumb. Any athlete on this board will tell you the same. If you are a competitor it doesn't matter who you play.

Also, the crowd rushed the field b/c we won on the final play in triple overtime. It would be like hitting a 3 pointer at the buzzer in double overtime. People would storm the court at Hilton for that as well.

Great game. Fun environment. Hawk fans were great at the game. Now let's stop with this childish Super Bowl talk. It's an argument for the week

Wrong I have not seen many teams that try to get a crowd into it on every play like that. Isu played better they are not the better team.

the ISU defense were the only ones doing that with any regularity. and they only did it on 3 and long or other significant plays. you can stop trying to flatter yourself now.

the final score would say that ISU was the better team. as would the stats. as would anyone who knows anything about football that watched the game.

We **may** have rushed the field, but, KF would never have acted like a teenager and highfived his way along the stadium. Ever. That speaks volumes.

Well, duh. Rhoads wears his emotions on his sleeve. Kirk has the personality of a 2X4.

Frankly, I would be upset if he didn't do that. We won a very dramatic game.

Can't we just agree that both coaches are different personalities? Geez... not everyone is built the same way. KF is a very reserved guy, and Rhoads is not. One method is not any better or worse than they other. Some succesful coaches are built like KF, and some succesful coaches are built like Rhoads. They are just different.

BUT.. I don't see Rhoads as being disrespectful whatsoever. He celebrates big wins. He HAS to, or like someone else said, he'd probably explode.

And you all must remember, Rhoads has to hear everyday of the year from media idiots about why he's sucked so bad against "big brother" Iowa since coming to ISU. So... when he does win, you don't think he might feel a bit of revenge and satisfaction?

Fact is, ISU was better yesterday. The game really should not have been as close as it was. ISU had 3 huge turnovers to Iowa's one. ISU had almost twice as many penalties as Iowa. ISU just kept shooting themselves in the foot all day long.

And as for Iowa's so-called "dominance"... you might want to ask KF about that. He's 6-7 against the Cyclones. If that's "dominance", then I don't know what that word means anymore.

Can't we just agree that both coaches are different personalities? Geez... not everyone is built the same way. KF is a very reserved guy, and Rhoads is not. One method is not any better or worse than they other. Some succesful coaches are built like KF, and some succesful coaches are built like Rhoads. They are just different.

BUT.. I don't see Rhoads as being disrespectful whatsoever. He celebrates big wins. He HAS to, or like someone else said, he'd probably explode.

And you all must remember, Rhoads has to hear everyday of the year from media idiots about why he's sucked so bad against "big brother" Iowa since coming to ISU. So... when he does win, you don't think he might feel a bit of revenge and satisfaction?

Fact is, ISU was better yesterday. The game really should not have been as close as it was. ISU had 3 huge turnovers to Iowa's one. ISU had almost twice as many penalties as Iowa. ISU just kept shooting themselves in the foot all day long.

And as for Iowa's so-called "dominance"... you might want to ask KF about that. He's 6-7 against the Cyclones. If that's "dominance", then I don't know what that word means anymore.

obviously only because it's ISU's superbowl...

are we all going to disneyworld now?

The way their players try to pump up the crowd before every play like it's a pro wrestling match shows it means way more. Maybe if our players and coaches cared a little more we wouldn't have lost. I don't want the display their players usually have but I would like some emotion. This game was eerily similar to the mn game last year Iowa was a bunch of zombies.

You're going to tell me that the Hawk D never tries to pump up the fans before a play at Kinnick in a close game? Or any other team? Jeez, give it a rest.

Never said they haven't tried to pump up the crowd. Just not every play. And I guess the better team wins every game? We will see how the season goes. A coaching staff with balls and iowas team wins comfortably. They were up early and should have gone for the jugular

Stop making excuses. ISU was fired up. They were each of the last two years, too. And they're like that pretty much every other week, too.

I actually find it really impressive how Rhoads can get his team to be as enthusiastic as they are when they haven't won all that often. It's very tough to make that happen, because guys will get down on themselves and each other when things aren't going well. His personality has rubbed off on his team. This wasn't their "Super Bowl". They beat Nebraska and Texas with the same kind of intensity. So what were those games, the AFC and NFC championship games? Or the Pro Bowl?

Never said they haven't tried to pump up the crowd. Just not every play. And I guess the better team wins every game? We will see how the season goes. A coaching staff with balls and iowas team wins comfortably. They were up early and should have gone for the jugular

We don't fumble twice in the redzone and miss two kicks, and we win comfortably, too. Whatever eases your mind.:rolleyes:

We **may** have rushed the field, but, KF would never have acted like a teenager and highfived his way along the stadium. Ever. That speaks volumes.

This entire thread confuses me. It speaks volumes? What does it say? I assume you are implying it has a negative connotation, but I have no idea why. I honestly want someone to convince me why it is a bad thing that a coach celebrates a big win.

Also, what difference does it make that ISU gets more fired up for that game? That is the most ridiculous sour grapes I have ever heard in my life. Yeah, the game means more to them, big deal. They won.

ISU rushed the field for the simple reason the game went to triple OT and ISU won on an option pitch. I would find it amazing if Iowa did not rush the field at home after that awesome of a game and finish.

Also, the crowd rushed the field b/c we won on the final play in triple overtime. It would be like hitting a 3 pointer at the buzzer in double overtime. People would storm the court at Hilton for that as well.

Most of the other stuff in this thread doesn't matter one way or the other. Either you like Ferentz's reserved demeanor or Rhoads' crazyman personality. That's probably going to depend on which team you like.

It's BS, however, to say that ISU fans only rushed the field yesterday because it was a triple-overtime game. If they had won 45-0 or 24-14 in regulation or in any other manner, fans would have done the same.

This entire thread confuses me. It speaks volumes? What does it say? I assume you are implying it has a negative connotation, but I have no idea why. I honestly want someone to convince me why it is a bad thing that a coach celebrates a big win.

Also, what difference does it make that ISU gets more fired up for that game? That is the most ridiculous sour grapes I have ever heard in my life. Yeah, the game means more to them, big deal. They won.

Not sour grapes at all.

I started this thread because historically Iowa fans have taken one game at a time while ISU views the Iowa game as their superbowl.

But time after time, ISU posters on here claim they view this game as no more important than any other win and to assume otherwise was conceitful on Iowa's part. Bunk.

Most of the other stuff in this thread doesn't matter one way or the other. Either you like Ferentz's reserved demeanor or Rhoads' crazyman personality. That's probably going to depend on which team you like.

It's BS, however, to say that ISU fans only rushed the field yesterday because it was a triple-overtime game. If they had won 45-0 or 24-14 in regulation or in any other manner, fans would have done the same.

I prefer more of what Rhoads does. He's a happy medium between Ferentz's ultra-reserved approach and the insanity of Mike Stoops/Pelini. You don't see him blowing up on a player like Pelini or Brian Kelly, but he does bring energy to his team.

And yes, ISU fans would have rushed the field yesterday regardless of how or when they won. They haven't beaten us for 3 years, and have taken a couple a** beatings the past couple years. I'd expect to see any team's fans to rush the field when they beat a team in that context. It was a huge win for them, OT or not.

Not sour grapes at all.

I started this thread because historically Iowa fans have taken one game at a time while ISU views the Iowa game as their superbowl.

this is a ridiculous generalization and you know it.

there is no ISU fan that would tell you they'd take 1-11 with a win over Iowa over a winning record with a loss to Iowa. If you do somehow find one, well, then they're a god damn moron.

and let me share a little quote with you:

"The worse feeling I've ever felt in my life was losing to Iowa State" -Bob Sanders

I think Iowa cares just as much about this game as ISU

I remember Kinnick Stadium emptying onto the field in 2006 when they beat ISU.

But hey, this game means nothing. Your real rival is a team you haven't played in a decade that couldn't give two ***** about Iowa.

Of course ISU is fired up for this game. Iowa has kicked our *** the past 2 seasons. They're our biggest rival. We can admit that. I don't understand why fans won't embrace rivalries. Nebraska did this with Colorado for years, and its rubbed off on Iowa fans. Fact of the matter is that to the rest of the nation, ISU is one of Iowa's biggest rivalries. Just the nature of the beast with in-state rivalries. KF is still 2-1 v. Rhoads. His best winning percentage against an ISU coach by far.

there is no ISU fan that would tell you they'd take 1-11 with a win over Iowa over a winning record with a loss to Iowa. If you do somehow find one, well, then they're a god damn moron.

"The worse feeling I've ever felt in my life was losing to Iowa State" -Bob Sanders

Also:

"It's been a tough five years. Every year you think you're going to beat them...and you don't." -Derek Pagel after 2002 loss to ISU.

Not sour grapes at all.

But time after time, ISU posters on here claim they view this game as no more important than any other win and to assume otherwise was conceitful on Iowa's part. Bunk.

"Historically" Iowa also viewed this as the most important game of the season. Hayden Fry constantly talked about how important this game was. The recruiting implications around the state make it bigger than most other game either team will play all year. While most of the big time players from each team come from out East (Iowa) or down south (ISU), there is a significant advantage to having a leg up in the Iowa recruiting. Dan McCarney had similiar feelings about the game. The difference was that Fry knew he needed to keep ISU down to have success, and Mac knew he needed to land a few jabs at Iowa in order to get the program going.
Currently, I would say the game is less important than any games in Texas for ISU, and less important for Iowa than most games out east. It would also obviously less important for either team if they were playing a conference foe with the conference championship on the line. That being said, it is still a very important game for both teams.

KF has no trouble motivating, or getting his team up. That was not an uninspired or flat team yesterday. That was a flawed team that got beat, expect it to happen 3-5 more times this year.

I agree with you about the generalization. This may have been true in '98 or '99, but after ISU got a few wins, the importance of this game came back into this stratosphere. Now, it's just an important game but not a season maker/breaker.

I do agree with the general statement that this game means more to ISU than Iowa. But that's due to a frequency of winning thing. OSU/Mich mean more to us than to them b/c we hardly even beat them. So when we do, it's huge. And, as many people have said, so what? If you want to be an elite team, you need to take other's best shot and win anyway.

I don't necessarily believe the Sanders quote means anything though. I'm sure Albert Young could have said the same thing about W. Michigan. It just means it's a gut-wrenching loss, not that that game in particular was the most important game in his career. ISU is an important game to Iowa, but it's because losing hurts far worse than winning feels good. I think that's what's meant by Sanders quote.

Latest posts