Don't Dismiss the B.J. Armstrong Talk

I was just told by a reliable source that the only way either of them is coming back is if Jacob Jaacks is on board. Make it happen Barta!

I'll see your Jacob Jaacks and raise you an Al Lorenzen.

Didn't Houston try the same thing with Clyde Drexler? How did that work out?

Let's get something clear...the only thing that I am implying is exactly what I am saying. I still think we should hire a guy who poops in towels.

Does this logic make sense?

If someone else has tried something that can be considered similar but with completely different people...then any attempt to do that thing should not be considered?

For example, the San Francisco 49ers once drafted a quarterback with the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft...he played in college before entering the NFL draft...the Indianapolis Colts also drafted a quarterback who played in college before entering the draft with the #1 overall pick...was there any correlation between the two?

Didn't Iowa once hire a wrestling coach who had previously wrestled at the school? How did that work out?

Almost 16,000 posts about BJ as the coach. Go hire BJ and Bob hansen and start the road to recevery and forget this joke Keno!!!

According to my source, he would establish a great x's & o's staff, as well as a strong recruiting staff. I have heard one of the names that BJ would bring in as a staff member, and I have seen this guy's name thrown out on the boards not only for this search, but for the search three years ago. This person has been a head coach before and has NBA experience, but is now an assistant coach at a major conference program.

This little tidbit has been driving me nuts ever since Jon mentioned it. Who is this unnamed assistant a major conference program who blueprint the program on BJ's behalf? Well, I think I've figured it out.

Stop me if you've heard this one: Gary Close.

In case you don't recognize his name, he's a current assistant at Wisconsin and a widely renowned shooting coach. He spent 19 years next to Tom Davis--16 of them at Iowa. I don't recall his name being floated this time or last, but in 2007, Rivals.com ranked him on their listing of Top 25 Assistant Coaches.

Rivals.com College Basketball - Rivals.com's top 25 assistant coaches

His bio is impressive:

Player Bio: Gary Close - UWBadgers.com - The Official Web Site of the Wisconsin Badgers

If he isn't being mentioned as a possible candidate for head coach by himself, I'd be willing to nominate him right now. Certainly not the most exciting candidate, but he has solid ties to Iowa City and is well familiar with the Big 10. There's no mention of his recruiting ability (that's what BJ is for--pun intended), but his coaching pedigree seems impeccable. My only concern would be his affection for Bo Ryan's current system.

As HC perhaps BJ could line up some pre-season games with some Israeli clubs. Interesting story from a couple years ago:

NBA.com - My Trip To Israel: B.J. Armstrong

bj2300x300_080116.jpg

He's back Jespen fans! BJ is going to coach and implement an Opt-in-coach-rotation strategy that gives him the capacity to sub himself in for a guard that's playing like crap.

Jon- Do you have a "hit" counter for the site overall? I think this coaching search has to top the single daily total of "Hawkeye Nation".(maybe a top 5?) This is a credit to how passionate the Iowa fans are. There are pro teams that would kill for this publicity!

what dean oliver doing these days? we could have a point guard coaching staff!

Dean Oliver is just finishing up his career overseas. Still playing and living in Vegas in the off-season. Says he wants to get into coaching now. Look for him to get on as an assistant somewhere in the near future.

maybe he could open up that mason city pipeline for us!
all kidding aside, you'd think PG's would make the best coaches as they are generally the team leaders and all that. it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Latest posts