Don't Dismiss the B.J. Armstrong Talk

No prior coaching experience maybe? Need I say more?

I never suggested BJ should be the coach. I never said we should do it. I never said I thought it was a good idea.

What I said is the thought he wouldn't come because he makes more money being an agent is false. IF we were to hire him, IF he were to accept, 10 million over 5 years would not be out of the question.

I don't understand what you are trying to debate?

I thought it was "implicit" trust. Shrugs.

im·plic·it (
ibreve.gif
m-pl
ibreve.gif
s
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
t)
adj. 1. Implied or understood though not directly expressed: an implicit agreement not to raise the touchy subject.
2. Contained in the nature of something though not readily apparent: "Frustration is implicit in any attempt to express the deepest self" (Patricia Hampl).
3. Having no doubts or reservations; unquestioning: implicit trust.

The idea of BJ coming back reminds me of when my favorite aunt comes to visit. It's a great idea and tons of fun to think about. The first days are a blast but then I want her to go home. BJ would energize the fan base for a short time. Bottom line, if he doesn't produce results, fans would turn on him too. I'd hate to see his Iowa legacy go that way.

However, when some of you go elsewhere or send emails, etc, please don't say that 'Miller thinks Iowa is going to hire BJ Armstrong!'

Because I never said anything like that.

Jon, maybe next time you should use a different FONT TYPE to get your point across. Some will always find a way to miss words while reading.

Take this paraphrased sentence for an example: "BJ has offered to assist our program in any way possible... from basic recruiting guidance up to coaching (if needed and still helpful)."
---
Will be interpreted by some as "BJ to be hired as head coach tomorrow."

...Either way, good post - and great news.

For those of you who think BJ would be a great recruiter, remember he had a hand in drafting Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler out of HS.

For those of you who think BJ would be a great recruiter, remember he had a hand in drafting Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler out of HS.

Neither one of them lived up to the Hype but I wouldnt say either one of them were whiffs.

Tyson Chandler has had a pretty servicible career in the NBA. No one has ever argued Curry doesn't have talent, it was his immaturtiy and work ethic that got him in trouble in the NBA and those are things that are hard to project on some High School kids.

Neither one of them lived up to the Hype but I wouldnt say either one of them were whiffs.

Tyson Chandler has had a pretty servicible career in the NBA. No one has ever argued Curry doesn't have talent, it was his immaturtiy and work ethic that got him in trouble in the NBA and those are things that are hard to project on some High School kids.

For the #2 and #4 overall picks (in the same draft) they were whiffs. I forgot to mention that they traded Elton Brand to get Ty Chandler. Bigger whiff. Oh yeah, the #3 pick between Chandler and Curry? Pau Gasol. Whiff. The pick after Curry? Jason Richardson. Whiff, whiff, whiff, whiff.

Not saying that BJ will be a bust as a recruiter in the miniscule chance someone gives him a chance to do it, but his record as assistant GM in Chicago is absolutely HORRIBLE. The best player the Bulls aquired during his tenure, draft and FA, was Kirk Hinrich.

For the #2 and #4 overall picks (in the same draft) they were whiffs. I forgot to mention that they traded Elton Brand to get Ty Chandler. Bigger whiff. Oh yeah, the #3 pick between Chandler and Curry? Pau Gasol. Whiff. The pick after Curry? Jason Richardson. Whiff, whiff, whiff, whiff.

Not saying that BJ will be a bust as a recruiter in the miniscule chance someone gives him a chance to do it, but his record as assistant GM in Chicago is absolutely HORRIBLE. The best player the Bulls aquired during his tenure, draft and FA, was Kirk Hinrich.

Ouch.

Will somebody be notifying me as to when I can dismiss the BJ Armstrong talk.

Hope he gets a chance to give Barta his input concerning the new coach, but that's about it.

This thread has over 10,000 views. Thats incredible. Jon could post that I was going to be the next coach and it would get at least 5,000 views

These picks werent reaches. When this is the worst thing on your resume I'm not worried.

Really?

Wow.

Maybe we shoudl bring in the guy who passed on Carmello Anthony, Chris Bosh, and Dwayne Wade to draft Darko Milicic while we're at it.

He (Joe Dumars) might be available pretty soon, considering he paid about $100 mil to Charlie Villenueva and Ben Gordon. Ouch, that almost stings as bad as drafting Darko. Almost. He managed to parlay 2-4 championships into 1. Nice job

I would be cool with BJ. I think he could recruit like crazy. I really think the next coach should be directly tied to the past somehow.

Do you know how much say BJ personally had in those draft decisions? Wasn't Krause still the GM at that time, because I'm sure he was the one who thought Curry - Chandler would become dominating twin towers. I also don't think your success as a GM, or in this case assistant GM, translates to your ability to recruit. Recruiting has much more to do with your personality and ability to attract talent than being a GM does.

Sorry for a quick off topic comment...I saw an earlier reference to my favorite middle school language arts teacher...Mr. Calkins. I only have one question.. Do you still wear the bowling shoes?

bowling shoes? BOWLING SHOES!!! Those were second hand shoes from someplace- Hushpuppies, I think. That speaks to the life of overpaid teachers. I have probably retired that wardrobe in favor of other clothes that my students make fun of... er, of which students make fun (no prepositions at the end of sentences, right?). At least you didn't call me old. I am still light on my feet. Parents still send me their very best kids and Hawkeye (men's) basketball will rise once again. And you are...?

Latest posts