Do you want Fran fired?

Do you want Fran fired after this season?

• Yes

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • No

Votes: 51 52.0%

• Total voters

Hawk5656

Assuming the season continues to play out like it has do you want to see Fran fired after this season? I vote yes because I think if we don't do it this year we ended up keeping him one year too long.

I voted yes too. It's not that I have any issues with Fran as a person, but I simply think his time came and went and we need new blood, mindsets, and coaching philosophy to bring the program back to life. I'm not sure if whether or not he's a good coach with the occasional bad years or a bad coach with the occasional good years, but I do know I'm ready to try something different.

I voted yes. I for one am tired of his psycho outbursts during games, his teams play NO defense, he seems to always lose in the first round of the Big 10 tourney, he can't recruit a great point guard. I really don't think he is a good coach. Next head coach in!

Interestingly, the argument that we lose Connor and Patrick if Fran is fired really doesn't hold water. We don't have them as it is, given Connor's abbreviated season.

The question becomes, can a new coach recruit well enough, quickly enough? Before giving a resounding, "Of COURSE!", remember, this isn't Coach K or Dean Smith or Roy Williams coming in. It's most likely an up-and-comer who may not have enough "juice" if he is at a place like Iowa.

And if/when it happens, it will probably be similar to Alford or even Archie Miller, at first. Wild swings of losing to a Loras, followed by an upset over an MSU.

If things keep going like this for the rest of the year, I would support a change, for reasons I've stated in other threads. Fran made us competitive again but on the whole, I am not overly impressed. A couple 7 seeds and quick exits in 8 years.. Meh. In short, I see more than one disappointing season in Fran's tenure, but I guess that's just my own fault for having expectations out of this program, right? I'm not out there screaming for a change but wouldn't be brokenhearted if it happened, either.

That said - I'd only support a change if we have another good plan in place and THEN pull the trigger. If Fran is fired and we have to trust Barta to go out there and just hope to find someone better, I could see that ending very poorly. Why fire Fran and end up with another mistake of a coaching hire that we'd have to buy out in another 3-4 years. I'm just saying - have something more or less lined up first as much as possible.

Last edited:
Interestingly, the argument that we lose Connor and Patrick if Fran is fired really doesn't hold water. We don't have them as it is, given Connor's abbreviated season.

The question becomes, can a new coach recruit well enough, quickly enough? Before giving a resounding, "Of COURSE!", remember, this isn't Coach K or Dean Smith or Roy Williams coming in. It's most likely an up-and-comer who may not have enough "juice" if he is at a place like Iowa.

And if/when it happens, it will probably be similar to Alford or even Archie Miller, at first. Wild swings of losing to a Loras, followed by an upset over an MSU.

My problem isn't necessarily the argument that we lose them, but rather are they players that fit into positions that we need. If Jordan is better suited as a SG than a PG, I'm not convinced that Connor is the answer at PG and I'm not sure were making that a priority while loading up on wings and forwards that can shoot from outside.

No. I'm not happy with how this season is going and Fran can definitely shore up some things but firing him would seem to conform to what our culture does now when something doesn't go right or we disagree with someone. We should fire them, mock them, think the absolute worst of them, get rid of them, etc because they have failed to meet our standards or offended us in some way.

The context of this year, in Fran's case, within his whole career, is irrelevant because I'm so offended that he hasn't led the basketball team I root for to better things so I demand that my complaint is answered to my satisfaction.

It's the sign of the times now, that in a disposable culture, we would demand Fran to be fired after one bad season. Ridiculous.

If things keep going like this for the rest of the year, I would support a change, for reasons I've stated in other threads. Fran made us competitive again but on the whole, I am not overly impressed. A couple 7 seeds and quick exits in 8 years.. Meh. In short, I see more than one disappointing season in Fran's tenure, but I guess that's just my own fault for having expectations out of this program, right? I'm not out there screaming for a change but wouldn't be brokenhearted if it happened, either.

That said - I'd only support a change if we have another good plan in place and THEN pull the trigger. If Fran is fired and we have to trust Barta to go out there and just hope to find someone better, I could see that ending very poorly. Why fire Fran and end up with another mistake of a coaching hire that we'd have to buy out in another 3-4 years. I'm just saying - have something more or less lined up first as much as possible.

There is no way in hell we should fire him, and then start looking for someone to replace him.

I will give him 1 more year but if we see same result next season Fran definitely needs fired. IMO something is going on internally with this team. Season makes no sense!!!!

I will give him 1 more year but if we see same result next season Fran definitely needs fired. IMO something is going on internally with this team. Season makes no sense!!!!
Same result? So, if we finish 12th next year instead of 13th, you'll be ok with him sticking around? Not trying to bust your balls, just trying to determine how much improvement needs to happen to keep him. I suspect most people that want to give him one more year won't expect a whole lot of improvement to be satisfied. Am I wrong?

It's nothing internal. We are the least talented team in the conference. Of all the years I have been watching Iowa basketball I have never seen players this slow and unathletic as some of these players on the current roster. Some of these guys make Seth Gorney look like a speed demon

Same result? So, if we finish 12th next year instead of 13th, you'll be ok with him sticking around? Not trying to bust your balls, just trying to determine how much improvement needs to happen to keep him. I suspect most people that want to give him one more year won't expect a whole lot of improvement to be satisfied. Am I wrong?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but for me, it's NCAA Tournament or bust next season. No NIT. No excuses.

Yes, I said above that I'd support a change if nothing improves by end of year, but if the team shows life down the stretch and starts winning a few games, then I'd support another year and see how it goes. But next year, Fran needs to get it done or I'll officially be on the fire Fran bandwagon.

No. I'm not happy with how this season is going and Fran can definitely shore up some things but firing him would seem to conform to what our culture does now when something doesn't go right or we disagree with someone. We should fire them, mock them, think the absolute worst of them, get rid of them, etc because they have failed to meet our standards or offended us in some way.

The context of this year, in Fran's case, within his whole career, is irrelevant because I'm so offended that he hasn't led the basketball team I root for to better things so I demand that my complaint is answered to my satisfaction.

It's the sign of the times now, that in a disposable culture, we would demand Fran to be fired after one bad season. Ridiculous.

It has been more than one bad season by my definition. The slide that the team had to end the year (2015-16) after getting up to #3 in the country was awful.

I'm going to give him next year. We have a lot of guys that can be good at times. I'm hoping another year to mature will improve the defense as well as get more consistency out of guys.

I hope we come into the season with a smaller, better defined rotation and don't have the injuries we did this year. I don't want to see Ellingson, Wagner, Pemsl or Kriener.

JBo/Connor
Moss/Dailey
Baer/Dailey
Cook/Nunge
Garza/Cook

The rotation above also doesn't include the freshman coming in and I think he'll be ready to contribute.

Latest posts