DJ Carton - To Iowa?

Those teams don't have too much talent. They just enough in the right places. When JBo, and the rest return. Iowa will too.
13 4-5 star players every year. Matters not if a couple get injured, a few turn out to be not as good as they were in HS, and a few leave program early via transfer or NBA. Must be nice.

I hope the Murray twins turn out as a positive. Two 1 star players has from the beginning seemed risky....
To ‘even’ out the classes, I could see a couple from this incoming class redshirting. Especially with all the talent we have returning. Also dependent on what position they play

To ‘even’ out the classes, I could see a couple from this incoming class redshirting. Especially with all the talent we have returning. Also dependent on what position they play
Perkins seems like a candidate. He has Joe W, Fred, and both McCaffery's ahead of him in the pecking order. Bohannon can play his position too.

One or both Murray's are possibilities. I think we need Ulis and Ogendule to be ready to go right away. We don't know how much more Pemsl can contribute, Nunge is coming of an ACL, and we need Oge's bulk with the loss of Kriener.

Perkins seems like a candidate. He has Joe W, Fred, and both McCaffery's ahead of him in the pecking order. Bohannon can play his position too.

One or both Murray's are possibilities. I think we need Ulis and Ogendule to be ready to go right away. We don't know how much more Pemsl can contribute, Nunge is coming of an ACL, and we need Oge's bulk with the loss of Kriener.

Do we have any idea of other damage?

A third of athletes reinjure the ACL.

Studies show that within one year of ACL reconstruction surgery:

• Only one-third of athletes return to their previous level of competition
  • Less than 50 percent return to the same level of play within two to seven years
  • Only 81 percent will return to any level of athletic participation
https://www.upmc.com/services/sports-medicine/services/acl-program/return-to-play

Marquette is a school some are projecting for Carton.............one of his final 6 before cutting the list to 3, were one of his earliest offers, have a clear need at the guard position, 3 hour drive, highly ranked 2020 incoming class, and reportedly again in contact with him since entering the transfer portal.

Coming from school life at tOSU he may well welcome a smaller school environment as part of his need for change.

I think Ulis is more likely to redshirt than Perkins. Between JBo, Connor, and Toussaint I see all the PG minutes as already taken. More of an opportunity for Perkins at the 2 and 3 spots for minutes. However if PMac is able to play then there wont be much opportunity for Perkins either. Ogundale I think is most likely to not redshirt.

I think Ulis is more likely to redshirt than Perkins. Between JBo, Connor, and Toussaint I see all the PG minutes as already taken. More of an opportunity for Perkins at the 2 and 3 spots for minutes. However if PMac is able to play then there wont be much opportunity for Perkins either. Ogundale I think is most likely to not redshirt.
The thing is Connor didn’t play much PG this year after the first 10 games and even after Jbo went down. He played mostly the 3 and 4 which seemed to suit him. Toussaint and Evelyn were the primary point guards.

The nice the about Ulis is he can play both guard spots as he is 6’3 with a pretty nice wingspan.

I have no idea what they are going to do with these freshman. If everyone returns there just isn’t much for minutes.

I hope the Murray twins turn out as a positive. Two 1 star players has from the beginning seemed risky....
You should pop over to the Murray thread. There is a nice recent article. Sounds like at the time Fran got them to campus and offered many D1 teams and high majors were starting to sniff around and show strong interest. The fact that they are rated so low is more of a formality with the recruiting sites at this point and the timing of how it played out. Had they waited until now to commit to Iowa they might have several offers and a higher ranking but they jumped all over the Iowa offer.

They tore it up stats wise this year at the prep school. I’m going to link their highlight videos over there. To me they seem to have very high upside and really not a ton of risk. Iowa has a really good nucleus of players for the coming years already built.

You should pop over to the Murray thread. There is a nice recent article. Sounds like at the time Fran got them to campus and offered many D1 teams and high majors were starting to sniff around and show strong interest. The fact that they are rated so low is more of a formality with the recruiting sites at this point and the timing of how it played out. Had they waited until now to commit to Iowa they might have several offers and a higher ranking but they jumped all over the Iowa offer.

They tore it up stats wise this year at the prep school. I’m going to link their highlight videos over there. To me they seem to have very high upside and really not a ton of risk. Iowa has a really good nucleus of players for the coming years already built.

Just to add to your point I think Olaseni was a 1 star recruit and he turned into a decent player for Iowa. I sooo wish Fran could have afforded to redshirt him a year as he was still learning to play the game when he got to Iowa. But this was only 2 years after Lick had left and Fran was still trying to build a roster.

I'm optimistic that Fran can turn these Murray twins into decent B10 players for Iowa.

The thing is Connor didn’t play much PG this year after the first 10 games and even after Jbo went down. He played mostly the 3 and 4 which seemed to suit him. Toussaint and Evelyn were the primary point guards.

The nice the about Ulis is he can play both guard spots as he is 6’3 with a pretty nice wingspan.

I have no idea what they are going to do with these freshman. If everyone returns there just isn’t much for minutes.

For what it's worth, Connor said he started at the 2 when CJ was hurt, not the 3.

Just think if they could work out the schollie situation and he was able to come here. That would be a total turn-around at that position in the last couple years. Holy chit. Salivating just thinking about it.

Just to add to your point I think Olaseni was a 1 star recruit and he turned into a decent player for Iowa. I sooo wish Fran could have afforded to redshirt him a year as he was still learning to play the game when he got to Iowa. But this was only 2 years after Lick had left and Fran was still trying to build a roster.

I'm optimistic that Fran can turn these Murray twins into decent B10 players for Iowa.

Probably depends on dad...

Re: Carton

Q
"But how about Iowa schools? Are Iowa, Iowa State, Drake or Northern Iowa involved?"

A "According to some folks behind the scenes of this recruitment, all four programs have reached out to Carton to express interest. At this point, however, I'm told that, relative to the other three, there's one that's currently most actively involved: Iowa State."

.......Matt Bain / Des Moines Register (4/1)

Re: Carton

Q
"But how about Iowa schools? Are Iowa, Iowa State, Drake or Northern Iowa involved?"

A "According to some folks behind the scenes of this recruitment, all four programs have reached out to Carton to express interest. At this point, however, I'm told that, relative to the other three, there's one that's currently most actively involved: Iowa State."

.......Matt Bain / Des Moines Register (4/1)

Not surprising. They have like 5 returning players none of whom are very good except Bolton. Carton would see a ton of minutes for them although if he wants to make the tournament (NCAA or NIT) he'll pick somewhere else.

Not surprising. They have like 5 returning players none of whom are very good except Bolton. Carton would see a ton of minutes for them although if he wants to make the tournament (NCAA or NIT) he'll pick somewhere else.

My impression is NBA is #1 goal for him and sooner the better. Not so sure an NIT/NCAA team will make that happen any sooner than an impressive performance on a less stellar team that still plays quality opponents. Some believe that's why tOSU gained his commitment over others in the end. They sold him on fast track to the NBA while other finalists took a more neutral position on that issue.

No doubt he's a good player, but based on what I've read, college, any school will do, is just a means to the end. He's looking for the school that will be the best vessel for him, i.e., one that will showcase his talents. Wins and losses? Meh. Could Iowa benefit from that? Probably, but I think there would be a cost. Would it be worth it for one year? It appears Fran thinks so.

Makes me puke to say it but ISU is probably the ideal fit for him. That team has an empty ass roster right now.

No doubt he's a good player, but based on what I've read, college, any school will do, is just a means to the end. He's looking for the school that will be the best vessel for him, i.e., one that will showcase his talents. Wins and losses? Meh. Could Iowa benefit from that? Probably, but I think there would be a cost. Would it be worth it for one year? It appears Fran thinks so.
It doesn’t appear Fran thinks so in the slightest. Reaching out means nothing.

What if Carton said I want to walk on at Iowa and sit out next year to work on my game? Then come back the following year.

You have no idea what was said or what Iowa’s interest level was (if they even did reach out). Reaching out is a mere formality

Latest posts