DJ Carton - To Iowa?

I may have missed it during the season when he stepped away, but I don’t remember him or anyone in his family say he wanted to play close to home. Again, I could have missed it.

Someone struggling with mental issues that claims to love the school he is with but is still entering the transfer portal screams wanting to get closer to home. Granted it's all speculation, perhaps there were some underlying reasons why he wants to leave Ohio State that we cannot see. If he's not wanting to come closer to home and winds up at someplace like Alabama or USC then it's going to make us all wonder what was really going on with him at Ohio State.

Heck, maybe he becomes a Fighting Bee and plays for St Ambrose next year. lol

As I posted early in this thread and Tweeted, I just hope the kid finds peace of mind. That's the most important thing.

He can't worry about people wondering why he left Ohio State if he doesn't choose a school closer to home. He should concentrate on finding a new program that fits his needs and makes him happy. And he might pick a place where he still struggles with mental health. And then if he needs to walk away again, he should.

It's basketball. It's a game.

As I posted early in this thread and Tweeted, I just hope the kid finds peace of mind. That's the most important thing.

He can't worry about people wondering why he left Ohio State if he doesn't choose a school closer to home. He should concentrate on finding a new program that fits his needs and makes him happy. And he might pick a place where he still struggles with mental health. And then if he needs to walk away again, he should.

It's basketball. It's a game.

Sure and I agree with everything you are saying. But is it ok for us to discuss and speculate?

I may have missed it during the season when he stepped away, but I don’t remember him or anyone in his family say he wanted to play close to home. Again, I could have missed it.
I never saw anything of that sort either. My guess is most of the folks saying that now are just assuming... It's a logical guess. But then again watch him end up at Auburn with Pearl or Gonzaga or some other far reaching school. I have no clue what he'll do.

i am not criticizing the existence of this thread, as we are all starving for sports content right now, but let's face it, Fran has zero reason to consider pursuing this young man merely because he is from Iowa. He is already over his scholly limit, he has two returning PGs with starting experience and two more guards coming in. He has a likely preseason Top 10 team with amazing and veteran led team chemistry. Adding a transfer with the history that this young man showed at his previous school would be a huge risk for Fran, even acknowledging the talent upside.

To be clear, if Carton reached out to Fran, he should take the call, but there is no reason for Fran to give this a second thought unless that call is received. Iowa's roster is in excellent shape.

Separation Anxiety and Homesickness are very common and normal for anyone who goes off to college, away from home, especially into a high stress environment of college athletics.

Hopefully he is doing well and is ready to be a Hawkeye!!!!

i am not criticizing the existence of this thread, as we are all starving for sports content right now, but let's face it, Fran has zero reason to consider pursuing this young man merely because he is from Iowa. He is already over his scholly limit, he has two returning PGs with starting experience and two more guards coming in. He has a likely preseason Top 10 team with amazing and veteran led team chemistry. Adding a transfer with the history that this young man showed at his previous school would be a huge risk for Fran, even acknowledging the talent upside.

To be clear, if Carton reached out to Fran, he should take the call, but there is no reason for Fran to give this a second thought unless that call is received. Iowa's roster is in excellent shape.

I follow your logic but Carton has NBA talent, those don't come around very often. IF (big if) DJ does have an interest in playing closer to home I would think Fran would be interested, you find a way to make it work. The best players on your team will find their way on to the court.

Have DJ come to Iowa and sit out a year, to get his life together (he'd probably have to sit out a year anyway). Most players under Fran speak about the family atmosphere he creates for his players, even admitting he can be somewhat of a hot-head. J-Bo plays next year but he'll be gone, C-Mac would have one year left at point, JT would have two years left. He can enhance his friendship with P-Mac and I imagine Iowa City has the therapeutic facilities he'd need, if that's what he's looking for. Iowa City is only 55 miles from Bettendorf, where I presume his family still lives. Ideal landing spot for DJ. There may be some schollies opening up as well.

OK, I know there's a 1% chance at best, but we can dream...

To counter the point about talent, I agree he is a talent. Tyler Cook is one of the more talented players to come through Iowa in past couple decades. But, I think most of us agree that he was a negative influence on team chemistry. We saw how Luka and Conner really flourished when Iowa shifted this season to more of a ball sharing offense. More talent is not always best,

Let's not forget that this young had to leave his team during the middle of the season. I am not criticizing him at all. People have to take care of themselves and I am he glad he did. But, that had to be a distraction and detriment to his team when he left. No one knows what his future holds.

And, wherever he goes, he will be a presumptive starter. So, whose job is he taking? Jordan's? Conner? CJ? JW? Those are guys that have been in the same trenches for three seasons or more. Maybe the chemistry would be fine, but you cannot just assume it would.

Again, not saying I would not take the call. Just saying I would not be anxious to cross this bridge if I were Fran.

To counter the point about talent, I agree he is a talent. Tyler Cook is one of the more talented players to come through Iowa in past couple decades. But, I think most of us agree that he was a negative influence on team chemistry. We saw how Luka and Conner really flourished when Iowa shifted this season to more of a ball sharing offense. More talent is not always best,

Let's not forget that this young had to leave his team during the middle of the season. I am not criticizing him at all. People have to take care of themselves and I am he glad he did. But, that had to be a distraction and detriment to his team when he left. No one knows what his future holds.

And, wherever he goes, he will be a presumptive starter. So, whose job is he taking? Jordan's? Conner? CJ? JW? Those are guys that have been in the same trenches for three seasons or more. Maybe the chemistry would be fine, but you cannot just assume it would.

Again, not saying I would not take the call. Just saying I would not be anxious to cross this bridge if I were Fran.
Experience will get you a 20 win season, get you to the Big Dance, and keep you job and at Iowa a nice extension...however, top-tier talent is needed to win championships and get to the Final Four. Iowa needs more talent, it isn't that complicated.

Experience will get you a 20 win season, get you to the Big Dance, and keep you job and at Iowa a nice extension...however, top-tier talent is needed to win championships and get to the Final Four. Iowa needs more talent, it isn't that complicated.
Iowa isn't lacking talent. Garza: All American, McCaffery one of the nation's best in assist to turnover ratio, CJF All B1G freshman team, JBo coming back next season...I don't know how you can possibly say Iowa needs more talent.

Iowa isn't lacking talent. Garza: All American, McCaffery one of the nation's best in assist to turnover ratio, CJF All B1G freshman team, JBo coming back next season...I don't know how you can possibly say Iowa needs more talent.
Iowa finished 1-3

My people tell me Creighton is the odds on favorite.

My guess is DJ knows in his heart he should've been a Hawkeye.

You think Iowa lacks talent because of a 4 game stretch, 3 of which were against top 25 teams?
I didn't say Iowa lacked talent, I said Iowa could use more talent, which is true.

The historical endings of FranBall's seasons screams for more talent.

You can't have too much.

Latest posts