DJ Carton - To Iowa?

NikeHawk21

Okay we are in crazy times so let’s go with a crazy theory. Is it possible that DJ Carton transfers home to Iowa?

On TOS they are discussing this as some around OSU think there is a chance he enters the portal.

Iowa seems like a long shot given our scholarship situation and amount of guards, but if you can land him I think you make it work. Btw I think he’d get immediate eligibility if he made the argument that due to his situation he needed to be closer to home.

Which leads into why this could make some sense. Iowa City is fairly close to Bettendorf, and maybe he feels much more comfortable with what he’s dealing with being closer to his support group.

Seems like a longshot, and I’m not saying it happens, but I would say it’s not out of the realm of possibilities either.

As far as the scholarship situation we could make it work out. Wait and see on any departures and then we have some flexibility with the McCaffery boys. The real challenge, which is going to be there even without Carton I think, will be convincing the incoming freshman to redshirt or take a deep reserve role.

Just for fun, here’s how you could spread out the minutes.

Carton - 23 minutes
Fredrick - 25 minutes
Wieskamp - 27 minutes
C McCaffery - 23 minutes
Garza - 30 minutes
Bohannon - 23 minutes
Nunge - 22 minutes
Toussaint - 16 minutes
P McCaffery - 11 minutes

Some guys would see a small decrease in minutes but the team would be very good. Jbo comes off the bench and wins 6th man of the year. We’d be a little undersized so rebounding would be an area to focus on improving. That team is loaded.

Maybe Iowa is the best place for him. There would be no pressure to play/start. He could take a year off still be with the team to practice and get to know the guys and focus on getting his mental health better. It could be a step in the right direction for him. At the end of the day he needs to do what is best for him, period.

Reactions: ISC
I don't think Iowa has anything to lose by getting him on the team. I could see him going to ISU/UNI/Bradley just to avoid playing against OSU... if getting close to home is a priority. This will be an interesting and fun story to watch.

Man I'd be surprised if coming to Iowa would be his choice. Ulis, JT, CM, CJF. A lot of guards that'll still be there with experience having played. That said I'd welcome him with open arms. I mean getting as much talent as possible is always the goal. My fear is Mr incoming transfers himself Hoiberg and then Prohm would both be trying to be on him like shit on stink. They could sell him more on guaranteed PT then Fran could.

The thing is Iowa doesn't need a PG. I'm excited after watching JT this yr and excited to see what he's going to do over the coarse of his career.

How long has it been since we could say Iowa doesn't need a PG?? I agree that JT is the immediate future. Yes, it is always good to have a stable of talent, but given DJ's substantial talent level, would he get enough playing time w/Iowa?

Wow... and there it is. Good luck to DJ whatever he decides and most importantly with his mental health.
source.gif

Come home to Daddy......Iowa.

Man I'd be surprised if coming to Iowa would be his choice. Ulis, JT, CM, CJF. A lot of guards that'll still be there with experience having played. That said I'd welcome him with open arms. I mean getting as much talent as possible is always the goal. My fear is Mr incoming transfers himself Hoiberg and then Prohm would both be trying to be on him like shit on stink. They could sell him more on guaranteed PT then Fran could.
I’m sort of looking at this from the perspective that maybe DJ wants to be as close to possible to home. In that case I think Fran makes this work.

If not I don’t think Iowa is going to be out there pulling out all the stops to try and land him. We don’t need backcourt help, but we’d certainly take a talent like Carton.

Carton is not coming to Iowa. There's a reason why they were originally his 4th or 5th choice. Both parties feel now is not the right time or fit.

I mean getting as much talent as possible is always the goal.

Wrong. Fran suffers from paralysis by analysis when he has too many guys who are good and all within a similar range of talent. We got better without Tyler Cook and we will be better without Carton than with him. Barring injury, imprisonment, transfer out, academic probation, etc., of course.

I think if close to home is a major motivator the Illinois will be tough to beat especially since they will have less of a logjam at PG to play.

If he did end up at Iowa then most likely we would see a transfer of either Ulis or Toussaint.

Probably would have to sit out a year which would allow JBo to graduate and open up more minutes at PG.

For one there aren't enough scholarships available for him, unless he would be willing to pay his own way for 1 year. For two, similar to what I've said about Xavier Foster, you want guys in your program who want to be Hawkeyes. Yes he's very talented but if he doesn't want to be a Hawkeye the team will be much better off with players that really want to be at Iowa.

Latest posts