DJ Carton - To Iowa?

According to this article there are 13 schools “interested” but Iowa not mentioned at this point.
So that shows the one way interest of schools interested in him. Which goes to show you how good of a player they think he'll still be. I half wondered if schools might shy away from the unknown of his mental issues. But he's so talented that many teams would kick the tires and take a flier on him. No ISU on there that surprises me a little. Maybe Prohm is on vacation and just hadn't seen it yet

So that shows the one way interest of schools interested in him. Which goes to show you how good of a player they think he'll still be. I half wondered if schools might shy away from the unknown of his mental issues. But he's so talented that many teams would kick the tires and take a flier on him. No ISU on there that surprises me a little. Maybe Prohm is on vacation and just hadn't seen it yet
That has to be pretty fluid at this point. Teams can’t reach out until he’s in the portal which was what like a few hours ago. More to come I’m sure.

I think it would be a mistake to assume that because he's dealing with mental health issues, he wants to be close to home. And he moved to Iowa before his freshman year of high school. It's not like he's a life-long Iowan.

I thought the idea of the mental health component was that he wanted to be closer to his family and support network. That makes a lot of sense. If so... Creighton doesn't fit the bill, it's still hours away. Maybe it was assumed, instead of actually brought up by DJ

I may have missed it during the season when he stepped away, but I don’t remember him or anyone in his family say he wanted to play close to home. Again, I could have missed it.

Man I'd be surprised if coming to Iowa would be his choice. Ulis, JT, CM, CJF. A lot of guards that'll still be there with experience having played. That said I'd welcome him with open arms. I mean getting as much talent as possible is always the goal. My fear is Mr incoming transfers himself Hoiberg and then Prohm would both be trying to be on him like shit on stink. They could sell him more on guaranteed PT then Fran could.
That wouldn't make Mr. King happy if DJ transferred to Nebraska but Fred wouldn't give a rat's ass.

Okay we are in crazy times so let’s go with a crazy theory. Is it possible that DJ Carton transfers home to Iowa?

On TOS they are discussing this as some around OSU think there is a chance he enters the portal.

Iowa seems like a long shot given our scholarship situation and amount of guards, but if you can land him I think you make it work. Btw I think he’d get immediate eligibility if he made the argument that due to his situation he needed to be closer to home.

Which leads into why this could make some sense. Iowa City is fairly close to Bettendorf, and maybe he feels much more comfortable with what he’s dealing with being closer to his support group.

Seems like a longshot, and I’m not saying it happens, but I would say it’s not out of the realm of possibilities either.
If Tyler Smith could transfer to Tennessee without a redshirt year to be close to his ailing father it's very possible they could so similar for Carton if he himself has a medical issue.

But I can't see him coming to Iowa, or Fran being interested in him.

If he really wants to play for the Hawkeyes I'd welcome him to the fold. I have no ideal what his problems were at OSU but the last thing we need is drama with JBo's senior year. If Fran wants him, and this is his choice along with his teammates, it would be kind of neat. Can't have too much talent, that second unit with him looks like championship caliber. As long as the incoming freshman don't mind redshirting this is an interesting ideal. This would make Iowa one of the most dangerous offensive and defensive teams in the Big 10. People who say he didn't want to come to Iowa are forgetting he considered Iowa very late in the recruiting race. He might have been keeping the haters at bay (you know who you are) or he might have been serious.

Okay we are in crazy times so let’s go with a crazy theory. Is it possible that DJ Carton transfers home to Iowa?

On TOS they are discussing this as some around OSU think there is a chance he enters the portal.

Iowa seems like a long shot given our scholarship situation and amount of guards, but if you can land him I think you make it work. Btw I think he’d get immediate eligibility if he made the argument that due to his situation he needed to be closer to home.

Which leads into why this could make some sense. Iowa City is fairly close to Bettendorf, and maybe he feels much more comfortable with what he’s dealing with being closer to his support group.

Seems like a longshot, and I’m not saying it happens, but I would say it’s not out of the realm of possibilities either.
This would be great. Closest D1 school to his home. We play a style that matches him perfectly. He’s a great kid. Fran could use scholies from his kids for DJ as well, assuming no ones transfers away. If he comes and Luka comes back, we haven’t had this much talent since late 80s. Could be an amazing year next year!

This would be great. Closest D1 school to his home. We play a style that matches him perfectly. He’s a great kid. Fran could use scholies from his kids for DJ as well, assuming no ones transfers away. If he comes and Luka comes back, we haven’t had this much talent since late 80s. Could be an amazing year next year!
Our 01-02 team was pretty talented as well. But that team underachieved, had rumors of internal turmoil, and exposed Alford as not quite the boy wonder he was cracked up to be.

If you are struggling with anxiety, etc. the last place I would go is ISU.

JT has shown some quickness at PG and we are stunned with his athletic ability, not because he is elite, but because we don't ever see such PG talent on the court for Iowa.

If you can get a talented PG, from your home state, you would be a fool not to pursue it.

I am saying, Iowa has a chance. I would welcome it.

Not knowing him, the unknown would be bringing in a different personality to a group that has already given a lot to get where they are on the team.

Granted, some teams do struggle to manage too much talent, but Iowa hasn't faced such a challenge, that I recall.