DJ Carton - To Iowa?

I would not by any means reject DJ Carton coming to Iowa. It’s a long shot, but if the reason is to be closer to home and family, it makes perfect sense. I do think a redshirt year would be best for him and the team if he did decide to come home. It would not put too much pressure on Fran to find a schollie for him, and it would give DJ a chance to get a handle on his mental issues and have no pressure on him to have to be the centerpiece of the offense. Yes I would welcome him with open arms. But he may not even consider Iowa either. Wish the kid luck no matter what his future holds.

For one there aren't enough scholarships available for him, unless he would be willing to pay his own way for 1 year. For two, similar to what I've said about Xavier Foster, you want guys in your program who want to be Hawkeyes. Yes he's very talented but if he doesn't want to be a Hawkeye the team will be much better off with players that really want to be at Iowa.
Part of me agrees with you, but then I think of Uthoff and Haluska.

Considering his f
You would make room for a talent like DJ Carton.

But I doubt he comes to Iowa, if he's looking to come closer to home it will probably be a school like Bradley or UNI.

Right now his main considerations are Creighton, UNI, Bradley, and NIU. That obviously can and probably will change.

Considering his f

Right now his main considerations are Creighton, UNI, Bradley, and NIU. That obviously can and probably will change.
So if you are the inside source you claim to be. Is he hoping to be closer to home then? Based on the schools you list it seems that way. Does he expect to be eligible next year?

Last edited:
He's not coming to Iowa. I could see isu, though. They are hemorrhaging players right now. They should be going hard after him.

ISU

This has ISU written all over it. They need shooters, Prohm however would take what he can get.

Carton ends up at Iowa I think JoeT would eventually transfer out. Unhappy about inconsistent playing time he ends up at Iona playing for Pitino.:)

Man I'd be surprised if coming to Iowa would be his choice. Ulis, JT, CM, CJF. A lot of guards that'll still be there with experience having played. That said I'd welcome him with open arms. I mean getting as much talent as possible is always the goal. My fear is Mr incoming transfers himself Hoiberg and then Prohm would both be trying to be on him like shit on stink. They could sell him more on guaranteed PT then Fran could.

Keep in mind Kobe King is coming to Nebraska.

So if you are the inside source you claim to be. Is he hoping to be closer to home than? Based on the schools you list it seems that way. Does he expect to be eligible next year?

Not an inside source. Read it from an admin on another board.

Oh ya I put the chances of this happening at maybe 10% or less. I don’t expect it. It’s pretty much all speculation at this point. The only thing that would make sense is if he really wants or needs to be close to home.

Considering his f

Why would he want to go from being the big fish in a big pond to a small pond, so to speak? I think ISU is more likely. But who really knows.............we will find out soon enough. In the great scheme of things, I don't see the Xavier Foster meltdown if Carton ends up elsewhere than Iowa.

Part of me agrees with you, but then I think of Uthoff and Haluska.

Both of those guys had coaching changes, with Haluska he wanted to play for Eustachy and with Uthoff he didn't want to play for Lickliter.
But both of those guys are good examples of dudes that became great Hawkeyes after starting their careers at other schools.

I think it would be a mistake to assume that because he's dealing with mental health issues, he wants to be close to home. And he moved to Iowa before his freshman year of high school. It's not like he's a life-long Iowan.

Wrong. Fran suffers from paralysis by analysis when he has too many guys who are good and all within a similar range of talent. We got better without Tyler Cook and we will be better without Carton than with him. Barring injury, imprisonment, transfer out, academic probation, etc., of course.
It just depends. If it's Carton with interest in being a Hawkeye does Fran tell him no? I can certainly see Fran not reaching out. I'd be more surprised if he did then didn't. But we hardly ever find out who initiates things honestly. We assume a lot on those sort of things and are probably right more often then not. Where he ends up will be interesting one way or the other.

Keep in mind Kobe King is coming to Nebraska.
Yeah I'd heard that. I have no idea how the rest of their roster shapes up going forward. If they are as stacked as we are body count wise or if they have room for more. I will assume Freddy will always have at least 1 spot open for just in case situations like this.

Interesting to think what a McCaffery team would look like with multiple penetrating perimeter players...we have never really seen that version.

Just for fun, here’s how you could spread out the minutes.

Carton - 23 minutes
Fredrick - 25 minutes
Wieskamp - 27 minutes
C McCaffery - 23 minutes
Garza - 30 minutes
Bohannon - 23 minutes
Nunge - 22 minutes
Toussaint - 16 minutes
P McCaffery - 11 minutes

Some guys would see a small decrease in minutes but the team would be very good. Jbo comes off the bench and wins 6th man of the year. We’d be a little undersized so rebounding would be an area to focus on improving. That team is loaded.
Let's not forget Kreiner would fall into the NCAA Rule of Senior eligibility right?

Latest posts