DISH...

Switched back to DTV, they paid for the contract buyout i owed Dish. Plus overall.......you have to admit Directv is much better when it comes to channel selection and of course THE SUNDAY TICKET! free this year :)

How much does DTV and Dish cost a month now? I dropped DTV a couple years ago for Netflix and Huluu both at like 7.99 month.

Switched back to DTV, they paid for the contract buyout i owed Dish. Plus overall.......you have to admit Directv is much better when it comes to channel selection and of course THE SUNDAY TICKET! free this year :)

You honesty have no clue what you are talkin about. Actually look into things before you assume you did the right thing.

It's naive to think the BTN is the party putting the screws to DISH. It's equally naive to think that of DISH. The truth is that whenever these squabbles arise (be it the BTN, FOX, TNT, Mediacom, DISH, etc...) neither party is the truly the victim. They both act as if the pennies per subscriber they're quibbling over could be the end of the franchise, but in reality DISH could afford to pay a little more and the BTN could afford to receive a little less. Unfortunately, over the past decade it's become commonplace for these negotiations to degenerate into spitting and name calling. And it's always the customers who get the shaft. It's absolutely ridiculous. When was the last time you actually recall a provider permanently dropping a channel?
Understood. But my point is that the general consensus on here are taking the "switch provider" approach to the situation basically stating that switching providers is the solution. I totally agree that Dish as well as BTN are both to blame, however I also see Dish offering incentives to try to keep subscribers from jumping ship as a result of this dispute. Maybe I'm missing out on something, but what has BTN done for it's fans who subscribe to Dish other than persuade them to jump ship and find a provider who is currently in contract with them. Great idea for BTN as those that jump can be used again by BTN as a bargaining tool. Sorry, I totally understand where your coming from, but IMO from what I've experienced Dish as always been great about making me feel like a valued customer by offering me free packages and upgrades to keep my business from going elsewhere...Whats BTN done for me other than use my viewing as a bargaining tool for their product.

I would love to drop btn and watch the hawks on a different channel. unfortunately that's not an option so I have to drop dish. sucks for them but whatever

Understood. But my point is that the general consensus on here are taking the "switch provider" approach to the situation basically stating that switching providers is the solution. I totally agree that Dish as well as BTN are both to blame, however I also see Dish offering incentives to try to keep subscribers from jumping ship as a result of this dispute. Maybe I'm missing out on something, but what has BTN done for it's fans who subscribe to Dish other than persuade them to jump ship and find a provider who is currently in contract with them. Great idea for BTN as those that jump can be used again by BTN as a bargaining tool.

Sorry, I totally understand where your coming from, but IMO from what I've experienced Dish as always been great about making me feel like a valued customer by offering me free packages and upgrades to keep my business from going elsewhere...Whats BTN done for me other than use my viewing as a bargaining tool for their product.

I liked DISH too. I wasn't happy about canceling today after the DirecTV installer left. But DISH doesn't generate any content. They're a fungible gatekeeper, and easily replaceable.

The BTN doesn't have to offer perks to their viewership, because they control the exclusive content I want. DISH has to resort to telling me that they "will still be broadcasting over 35 college games this weekend," as if college football fans were such generalists that the act of watching any college team were as good as any other.

My point is that it doesn't really matter who is being reasonable or unreasonable in the negotiations. BTN has the games I want, and I expect DISH to continue to provide subscribers access to those games. If DISH had come to me and asked for another $5 a month to make that happen, I wouldn't have hesitated. But because they've decided to play hardball across the board, they've lost my business.

How much does the BTN want per month per subscriber? If I were Dish I would wonder if this is worth it for a few hours of watchable programming a year.

Dish and Btn are still talking as we speak. Not all hope is loss yet. I am pretty sure things will be figured out.

I think I may be more frustrated with BTN right now than I am with Dish. I knew this would happen as soon as the BTN was announced. Next year it will be DirecTV's turn to be the bad guy, probably Mediacom or someone else the year after that. So sick of this greed from both parties.

im pretty bored tonight so i looked at about 6 other btn schools forums. all have a dish topic. this can't be good publicity for dish. youd think they would just bite the bullet

So, does anyone know for sure (as of 9:38 pm on Friday) if a short term agreement has been reached for tomorrow?

This is an interesting post. First insight into what Btn is asking.

DISH Hi Rhonda, it is unfortunate that Big Ten Network has decided to once again inconvenience customers while we negotiate. We agreed to a short term extension last week, and continue to negotiate in good faith with Big Ten Network. Despite having the third most customers in the Big Ten territory, Big Ten Network was requesting DISH customers pay subscriber fees at least a third higher than other major distributors. This increase would be more than what is paid for NFL Network, MLB Network, NBA Network, NHL Network and Golf Channel combined. ~Mary B.

This is an interesting post. First insight into what Btn is asking.

DISH Hi Rhonda, it is unfortunate that Big Ten Network has decided to once again inconvenience customers while we negotiate. We agreed to a short term extension last week, and continue to negotiate in good faith with Big Ten Network. Despite having the third most customers in the Big Ten territory, Big Ten Network was requesting DISH customers pay subscriber fees at least a third higher than other major distributors. This increase would be more than what is paid for NFL Network, MLB Network, NBA Network, NHL Network and Golf Channel combined. ~Mary B.

Scooter I've been on that customer service deal 3 times today and had that same message automatically sent to me every time!

isn't 5440 just a BTN alternate? It sounds like the rep you spoke with is blowing smoke to keep you from changing.

Yup. Sounds like DISH is blowing a lot of smoke right now trying to stall and not have people cancel on them. My neighbor is having 30 people over to his house tomorrow and DISH told him that they expect another short term extension to be reached. BS. BTN says they expect DISH to pull the plug.
I've got Directv and I can bail out his party.

A friend of mine that works for Dish Network posted on FB about an hour ago, that for now, they will be carrying the BTN games for the next three weeks anyway.

He's been known to BS before, but I don't think he's messing around about this.