Deuce Hogan

hawkeyewx

If Petras is the obvious top guy, he may be Iowa's QB for the next three seasons. That would put Deuce Hogan in the position of red-shirting one season and then sitting on the bench for another two seasons before he can even get on the field. That is a long time to wait. Is he going to want to do that?

If Petras is the obvious top guy, he may be Iowa's QB for the next three seasons. That would put Deuce Hogan in the position of red-shirting one season and then sitting on the bench for another two seasons before he can even get on the field. That is a long time to wait. Is he going to want to do that?
We'll see.... I think most kids are yr to yr anymore. If Petras doesn't do too well or gets hurt he may be right in there. Or we are forgetting Padilla he's there too. Maybe he is #2. Time will tell I'm no good at predicting dominos to that extent

Petras has two years studying and practicing the offensive system. I dont believe he enrolled early to have had two spring practices and I am not sure how many snaps the #2 qb gets in practice during the season.

If he is just slightly better than Stanley as a soph then that will be great.

Not sure what you can say to a HS grad who is coming to a program that has some good QBs although they are untested.

Now a vastly different dynamic begins to emerge. As Iowa’s football recruiting takes a step up, the competition increases. We have seen it with our wide receivers; we have seen a good TE prospect consider Iowa’s depth at that position as an issue; we have seen a very good running back move on; we have seen a bit of chaos in the QB room, with more to come; we have seen some re-thinking of the use of the LB position.

I guess we have a new topic in spades: Are we posters going to be increasingly at odds about who should be starting? Yup. Probably.

And, keep the same eyes on Hawkeye basketball. Maybe?

Last edited:
Petras has two years studying and practicing the offensive system. I dont believe he enrolled early to have had two spring practices and I am not sure how many snaps the #2 qb gets in practice during the season.

If he is just slightly better than Stanley as a soph then that will be great.

Not sure what you can say to a HS grad who is coming to a program that has some good QBs although they are untested.

He did enroll early, so this will be his 3rd spring coming up.

He also received some snaps with the 1's throughout the season, especially during bowl prep. Mostly a function of the fact that Stanley had already accumulated so many snaps over the course of the last 3 years that any more became a diminishing returns scenario. I would anticipate the #2 guy next fall will receive fewer snaps than Petras got this fall.

He's talked about how he wants to redshirt, thinking it'll be beneficial to him.

And judging by his comments, he's definitely not one to shy away from competition.

He's talked about how he wants to redshirt, thinking it'll be beneficial to him.

And judging by his comments, he's definitely not one to shy away from competition.

There's no reason to not redshirt. Unless you are a absolute phenom, or the other QBs all tear their ACLs, you aren't going to play QB at Iowa as a freshman.

Now a vastly different dynamic begins to emerge. As Iowa’s football recruiting takes a step up, the competition increases. We have seen it with our wide receivers; we have seen a good TE prospect consider Iowa’s depth at that position as an issue; we have seen a very good running back move on; we have seen a bit of chaos in the QB room, with more to come; we have seen some re-thinking of the use of the LB position.

I guess we have a new topic in spades: Are we posters going to increasingly at odds about who should be starting. Yup. Probably.

And, keep the same eyes on Hawkeye basketball. Maybe?

transfers are not necessarily a bad thing. they could mean that competition worked. now, if you have a starter that is horrible and can't find someone good enough to replace them, then that's a whole 'nother topic. so, assuming the competitors are legit, competent and good, then transfers are just part of it.

This is just another indication of how healthy this program is. From everything I have ever heard, the coaches have always been very honest with the recruits and no promises are made. I am.sure that policy has cost Iowa some recruits in the past, but that is a very slippery slope and one that is really hard if not impossible to come back from.

I have always kind of liked having two QBs with different skill sets used throughout the season. It makes it more difficult for opponents to prepare, and makes a team more unpredictable to defend. Both of those would be good for Iowa.

Will this happen? Or will it be more of "every down with the same QB Kirk and Brian" game plan?

Or perhaps it is best to ride one pony to the finish line, come what may?

I like having QB options, but that's just my two cents. We will see.

Frost may have dropped a deuce on his offensive coordinator.

Any further developments in that story?
Scotty had his eyes on an upgrade. This guy actually wasn't the first choice, though. A former player turned them down.

EOha8LfW4AAcn_s.jpg:large

Latest posts