DC PF Luka Garza Officially Visiting This Weekend

That's a huge jump for him! I wouldn't be surprised if Garza ends up top 75 when it's all said and done.

People are predicting Louisville, but you never really know what a young guy will do. I think he would have more opportunity for success at Iowa. If I was to guess I would say he is headed to Louisville. I was watching Tom Davis and three other coaches on the BTN and they were talking about how just one quality recruit can change the season around, and that's why they would go after senior transfers. He might not be that level of a recruit, but I think he would be a great addition to the basketball program. Louisville wouldn't probably really notice that much of a difference in their team.

But he could win a ship with Louisville. Would you go to Iowa or Alabama for football? I love the Hawks but we aren't even close to Louisville's level in hoops.

But he could win a ship with Louisville. Would you go to Iowa or Alabama for football? I love the Hawks but we aren't even close to Louisville's level in hoops.
I just meant that he probably would have more success in basketball at Iowa. I think he would get more quality time with the coaches and maybe more minutes on the basketball court. Louisville could have someone on their team that he will never beat out, and next year they might recruit over him. It just is less likely to happen at Iowa. Of course, he might never get the opportunity to start at Iowa either. There is a reason that there are so many transers every year. I just took a look at Louisville recruiting and it looks like he would have to beat out a couple of four star recruits that have been in their program for awhile, and next year they will get some high level recruits.

Last edited:
I just meant that he probably would have more success in basketball at Iowa. I think he would get more quality time with the coaches and maybe more minutes on the basketball court. Louisville could have someone on their team that he will never beat out, and next year they might recruit over him. It just is less likely to happen at Iowa. Of course, he might never get the opportunity to start at Iowa either. There is a reason that there are so many transers every year. I just took a look at Louisville recruiting and it looks like he would have to beat out a couple of four star recruits that have been in their program for awhile, and next year they will get some high level recruits.

Sounds like the exact same thing everyone said about Tyler Ulis and Kentucky. My guess is that if he goes to Louisville, he does just as good as if he were to go to Iowa. On top of that, he'll have more success in March. Not trying to be negative but just being realistic.

Sounds like the exact same thing everyone said about Tyler Ulis and Kentucky. My guess is that if he goes to Louisville, he does just as good as if he were to go to Iowa. On top of that, he'll have more success in March. Not trying to be negative but just being realistic.

I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa is more successful than Louisville over the 4 years where Luca is in school. Or at least as successful.

He's flat footed. Which is fine when you have a 4 or 5 " height advantage playing high school ball. It get's you abused when you are playing against 6'10 - 7' BIG athletes. I wouldn't recruit him for Iowa. Unless someone can tell me how to cure flat feet.

He's flat footed. Which is fine when you have a 4 or 5 " height advantage playing high school ball. It get's you abused when you are playing against 6'10 - 7' BIG athletes. I wouldn't recruit him for Iowa. Unless someone can tell me how to cure flat feet.

You are thinking of 10 years ago when Center were 6'10 and taller. Now 90% of the kids he will go up against won't be taller than him. The game has changed, gone are the days where everyone had a 6'10 + center.

Off the top of my head, besides Purdue who is gonna trot out someone taller than 6'10" at center?

I don't understand why this is still a conversation for some. A 6'9 or 6'10 kid who is big enough physically to bang is plenty big in today's game to man the inside post positions.

You are thinking of 10 years ago when Center were 6'10 and taller. Now 90% of the kids he will go up against won't be taller than him. The game has changed, gone are the days where everyone had a 6'10 + center.

Off the top of my head, besides Purdue who is gonna trot out someone taller than 6'10" at center?

I don't understand why this is still a conversation for some. A 6'9 or 6'10 kid who is big enough physically to bang is plenty big in today's game to man the inside post positions.

Being able to jump is a huge advantage but Niang was an all American and he couldn't jump.

Being able to jump is a huge advantage but Niang was an all American and he couldn't jump.

Ok, maybe I misread what Lightning was saying. Yet saying you wouldn't recruit a kid based on his So year highlights, when everyone and their dog is offering him based on his AAU performance this summer is silly. You don't just get offers from Louisville, Georgetown, Pitt, and Indiana if you are so flat footed that you can't compete. Obviously it isn't scaring off the top notch colleges, so it wouldn't scare me off.

I think Thomas Bryant from IU and Maryland has a stiffster who didn't play a ton last year. But I totally agree with your point.

My question is who do we have to guard Happ, Haas, and Bryant? I was listening to the "On Iowa" podcast and I kinda was surprised they mentioned they thought Cook was a 4/3. I was under the impression that he was more of a 4/5, is that correct? They talked about Wagner as a center but he struggled mightily guarding bigger players from what I remember. My best guess is that a combination of Cook, Uhl, and Jones will have the first crack at guarding the few "bigs" in our league.

Ok, maybe I misread what Lightning was saying. Yet saying you wouldn't recruit a kid based on his So year highlights, when everyone and their dog is offering him based on his AAU performance this summer is silly. You don't just get offers from Louisville, Georgetown, Pitt, and Indiana if you are so flat footed that you can't compete. Obviously it isn't scaring off the top notch colleges, so it wouldn't scare me off.

I don't think you misread him. My post looked like I was rebuttaling you but I was just adding to what you said.

I think Thomas Bryant from IU and Maryland has a stiffster who didn't play a ton last year. But I totally agree with your point.

My question is who do we have to guard Happ, Haas, and Bryant? I was listening to the "On Iowa" podcast and I kinda was surprised they mentioned they thought Cook was a 4/3. I was under the impression that he was more of a 4/5, is that correct? They talked about Wagner as a center but he struggled mightily guarding bigger players from what I remember. My best guess is that a combination of Cook, Uhl, and Jones will have the first crack at guarding the few "bigs" in our league.

Cook is a 4/5. I think what they were trying to say is they would like Cook to add some range to his jumper is all. I did here I think Marc say something about the 3, but he really doesn't cover Iowa BB, and I don't think he is correct on that.

Wagner is an undersized post guy. At 6'7 he is gonna have difficulty with the bigger Bryant and Haas types.

Cook is a 4/5. I think what they were trying to say is they would like Cook to add some range to his jumper is all. I did here I think Marc say something about the 3, but he really doesn't cover Iowa BB, and I don't think he is correct on that.

Wagner is an undersized post guy. At 6'7 he is gonna have difficulty with the bigger Bryant and Haas types.

Okay, we are on the same page then. I'm excited to see how PTL goes tonight.

As far as Garza goes I don't think he is a program changing player by any means but could be a nice get. If Jones is granted a 5th year and nobody transfers we will return 6 scholarship big men, plus Baer, so he may not see the opportunity for a ton of PT, who knows.

Latest posts