Davis is the OC

Lord knows the man has credentials but I will wait until the U of I announces the hire because the Twitterverse is unreliable.

I like the fact they are bringing in someone from outside the program to bring some new ideas. I hope this guy has a 2 minute offense and Texas high school connnections for recruiting.

Be interesting to see how he coaches without 5 star talent. I have my doubts.

And why wouldn't you. KF obviously has no idea what he is doing or better yet, he's hiring a guy who he knows will fail so he can promote his son in a couple of years...yeah that's it. Seriously, give the guy a chance, he might surprise you. He's had a solid career as an OC. Not so much as a HC.

Be interesting to see how he coaches without 5 star talent. I have my doubts.
That's the problem with Davis. He had all the talent in the world for many of his seasons in Texas and still stunk. The Vince Young years made him look good.

Last edited:
Re: Davis New OC

I would be happy with this hire.

Can't beat his experience.
His results are what scare me. He won't have the recruits he did at Texas and he wasn't liked there.

This will go down as the worst move Ferentz ever made. Timestamp that.

Several. Overall offensive numbers, fan acceptence, and the fact that he's was forced out of Texas.

Plus he's been a terrible head coach when given the chance.

his overall offense numbers look pretty good from my brief review. Can you be a little more specific?

Going back to 2004 they were a top 15 offense in the country in total offense every year but once (2006 #26) & #2 in 2005

Excellent hire. Very surprised KF went outside the fold as there are no ties to this guy.

Davis was the OC at Texas from 1998 to 2010. During that period of time Texas had what we could consider 99% awesome seasons and 1 below average. Pretty sic record over that period of time and a national championship to boot.

TX's slide over the past 2 years wasn't a Davis issue. Gilbert was directly credited with several 5* players on both offense and defense. His recruiting area is the TX market. He was the QB coach and OC for Colt McCoy, Radio, Chris Simms, Major Applewhite, Chance Mock, among others. The guy knows talent and can coach them up.

I have to believe that our game plan is going to look much different than previous years.

Last edited:
Excellent hire. Very surprised KF went outside the fold as there are no ties to this guy.

Davis was the OC at Texas from 1998 to 2010. During that period of time Texas had what we could consider 99% awesome seasons and 1 below average. Pretty sic record over that period of time and a national championship to boot.

TX's slide over the past 2 years wasn't a Davis issue. Gilbert was directly credited with several 5* players on both offense and defense. His recruiting area is the TX market. He was the QB coach and OC for Colt McCoy, Radio, Chris Simms, Major Applewhite, Chance Mock, among others. The guy knows talent and can coach them up.
whorn fans would disagree, but I guess only time will tell.

Latest posts