Damn expensive roses. Holy smokes.

There's no conspiracy here. It's supply and demand, and if the University allotments are on hold, then there are not a lot of tickets out there right now relative to demand. This is going to be an expensive ticket. I feel for those who want to go but cannot afford to do so but it's Iowa fans that are causing these prices. I think we'll see a dip before tickets get scarce.

Jon, the average price for a Rose Bowl ticket last year, as a Nat'l Semifinal Game was $272.10....we're looking at over 3 times that right now. Somethings rotten in Denmark...

it was a semi final, not a true rose. oregon not next door and FSU across country and they travel horribly. I've shared the MSU 2014 Rose numbers and they are very similar, and 25 year drought, etc. It is supply and demand. This is the greatest demand they have seen...ever...so far.

I saw the price of almost 4 grand and couldn't believe it. Then I saw it didn't include tickets to the game. Wowzers. Suppy and demand. You don't sale something for 2 grand that you can sale for 4 just to be nice. Unfortunately you're gunna have to count me out too though.

I mean no offense, just posting straight facts: I am single. I have the opportunity to purchase 4 Rose Bowl tickets through the U of I, as a Silver Hawk. I have 200 priority points. I can get 4 for $150 or 4 for $185 with upgrades; I am buying one ticket. The Iowa Alumni package: Includes round trip flight; includes Rose Parade reserved seat; includes 4 nights hotel; includes all transfers; includes huddle, Ed and Dolph gathering, tips, a few other perks. Total with paying a "single supplement" will cost me $3885 plus incidentals. Though I am choosing to go with the Alums and Winebrenner, I do NOT see Hawkeyenation as a bad deal in comparison. If you can get tickets elsewhere, sounds like it would help. Everything else looks good to me. I am really struggling to afford this one, but I am an old guy and may not get another shot to go to the Rose, which I have never done. I hope JM gets a good group together. If you can justify the $$, it will be a great trip and JM will run a great project for you. Go Hawks!

There's no conspiracy here. It's supply and demand, and if the University allotments are on hold, then there are not a lot of tickets out there right now relative to demand. This is going to be an expensive ticket. I feel for those who want to go but cannot afford to do so but it's Iowa fans that are causing these prices. I think we'll see a dip before tickets get scarce.

I don't buy the "supply and demand" arguement at all. This year was the lowest season ticket sales year in 16 years. There are roughly 50,000 tickets for each side....I'm gonna guess that the supply and demand are pretty well matched. It wasn't supply and demand when gas stations started jacking prices shortly after 9/11, it was price gouging. Sometimes, businesses try to gouge people simply because they can and/or because they create a fear factor...

I don't buy the "supply and demand" arguement at all. This year was the lowest season ticket sales year in 16 years. There are roughly 50,000 tickets for each side....I'm gonna guess that the supply and demand are pretty well matched. It wasn't supply and demand when gas stations started jacking prices shortly after 9/11, it was price gouging. Sometimes, businesses try to gouge people simply because they can and/or because they create a fear factor...

In the short term, this is price gouging. Jack the prices up and see if they sell. And they're selling. That tells me there is demand at these prices. I don't think there's enough demand to sell out the stadium at $1k apiece, which is why I think the prices will fall again. But honestly, price gouging doesn't really work in this scenario. If the prices are too high, there will be many unsold tickets and prices will fall.

People are paying these prices. That's called demand. There's nothing more to it than that.

Anyone have numbers on which fan base is buying what and how many?

Dollars to doughnuts, the price gouging is affecting 5x more Hawk buyers than tree buyers.

Preying on Iowa's Jedi-reverence of the Rose Bowl is what's going on.

No?

We just sold out of our initial inventory in 7 hours...working overnight and in AM to try and secure more...and that is with the official ticket partner of the Rose Bowl..some smaller agents and outfits that have been selling speculative trips could be in trouble...this is RECORD demand.

Last edited:
<<At some point, that has to abate, doesn't it?>>

Not necessarily. My wife worked for a travel company based in Wisconsin for about 8 years. They booked Wisconsin bowl trips during that time. Every single one sold out almost immediately. B1G fans travel. They support their teams. Simple as that.

Sure, there will be some ebbs and flows, but Iowa hasn't been to the Rose Bowl in 30 years. It would take 10 STRAIGHT Rose Bowls before every Hawkeye fan that has always "dreamed of watching the Hawks in the Rose Bowl!" actually got to go "see the Hawks in the Rose Bowl!"

Aside from the typical tools like Thunder, OK4P, etc., most folks enjoy the Hawks, support the Hawks and will watch the Hawks. They don't come on just so they can say the Hawks "blew the biggest game in their history" or clamor for Greg Davis's head because we didn't light up the scoreboard against a team whose defense, for about the last five years, has been as good as any in the country.

But...the last time most of these folks went to a Rose Bowl, The Fieldhouse was still selling $1 pitchers on Thursday nights. And ColoradoHawkeye and I were taking part in a BIG way :)
Ha-ha, while possibly true, don't go dragging me into YOUR wayward college debauchery. ;)

I am trying to go with my dad. He has been a season ticket holder before Fry was coach. He said he is silver hawk, but I am trying to tie this altogether for us. An old Iowa dental school buddy of my Dad's moved away to North Carolina and consequently gave up his tickets, asked my Dad for 2 of his allotment, and then my Dad and I decided to go back and ask for more from the university.

1) Does anyone know if this hurts our chances of getting all 4?
2) Would it possible we don't get any at all?
3) Or just maybe get the first 2?

Any insight would be great.

That is exactly what I was thinking when I bought packages for my family. As I was completing the form for my HN land only package the ticket options were disappearing quickly (BTW- does anyone else have problems with this site locking up their computer?). Same thing for airfare from Minneapolis, tickets increased over $100 while I was making the reservation. All I can say is good luck to anyone who waits to pull the trigger.

This is kind of what I'm thinking...the number of people I know who are like "Got my tickets!" Is pretty crazy....and I don't run in rich social circles by any means... But a common theme is: "We always said, the next time they go....we're going because who knows how long it will be!" Heck that's my view, this could be a once in a lifetime event. Especially with the changing college football landscape.

No?

We just sold out of our initial inventory in 7 hours...working overnight and in AM to try and secure more...and that is with the official ticket partner of the Rose Bowl..some smaller agents and outfits that have been selling speculative trips could be in trouble...this is RECORD demand.

Sounds like you should have charged more. Suckers. :)

There is a difference in a product you have to buy and a product that's entertainment.

Economics is hard.

I get it. Supply and demand. But this is sad. I skipped the Indy trip to potentially go to this game instead, and within an hour of hearing we were selected, it was clear I can't afford it anyway. For 2 people it would be a $3000 4 day trip to see a football game. I really wish I could afford this, but I cannot. I guess I'll be watching from home.

And I'm not saying that about HN's prices. Just flights and lodging and tickets in general everywhere are outrageous.

Sounds like you should have charged more. Suckers. :)

That's just the thing. A dynamic supply and demand system is like an organism...THE CONSUMER actually winds up establishing what the market is.

We're all familiar with ebay. What is a chewed up piece of gum that John Lennon once had in his mouth worth? It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it, until it's worth what the next person is willing to pay for it.

With the Rose Bowl, when you have a school that comes West with enormous and generational pent up demand....this is what happens. Demand (THE CONSUMER) winds up setting the market.

Had there not been demand, and the announcement hit and there were no calls, prices would have plummeted.

I do get that some are disappointed to see things the other way. Totally understand. But Sunday has seen RECORD demand...to the point where we had to pause our marketing efforts less than seven hours after our options went on sale...just to get a handle on inventory. Not oversold...not us, at least. I think some companies will be facing some concerns, those who were selling speculatively and having not secured their tix yet...what will that do? Drive ticket prices even higher.

No?

Jon has been doing bowl trips with Prime Sports (formerly Premier Travel) since the 2002 Orange Bowl. Listen to the man.

If you're going to do a package, Jon's is the one you want. If you want single tickets, try TicketMonster where Scout members get a 10% discount (http://tickets.scout.com/). The demand and prices are insane there also at the moment.

Hopefully Jon doesn't slap me for the tout... but anyone asking about packages on Scout, I'm sending here.

Personally am doing the Iowa mega tour for my Christmas present. Playing drums at the 12/29 Iowa/MSU hoops game then on to LA for the game. SEA-MSP-ORD-Iowa City-ORD-MSP-LAX-SEA. Wheeee!

Billso, I won't slap you, since you guys forced me to work with Premiere way back in the day...when they had no idea about Iowa and I had no idea about them...and it has worked well for all parties ever since ;)

This is the year, of any Iowa bowl year, that you had better be working with folks you trust.

I'm still hungover from the loss last night. 4k to watch a consolation game when they were witchin a foot of playing for all the marbles?? It's a tough pill to swallow at the moment.

I get it. Supply and demand. But this is sad. I skipped the Indy trip to potentially go to this game instead, and within an hour of hearing we were selected, it was clear I can't afford it anyway. For 2 people it would be a $3000 4 day trip to see a football game. I really wish I could afford this, but I cannot. I guess I'll be watching from home.

And I'm not saying that about HN's prices. Just flights and lodging and tickets in general everywhere are outrageous.

Best statement I've seen today.

If you're going to spend that kind of dough, you might as well make a mini-vacation out of it with the football game as one of the entertainment venues.

To put things in perspective, I bought tickets/lodging to the B1G champ game in Oct.

Tickets (section 121, row 16), $130 x 2
Lodging (stayed in Crawfordsville) $50 x2 nights
Gas....approx $75
Food...probably $100
Misc....$25
(I don't count liquor as that's purely a personal choice to consume or not)
Total = $550

A hell of an important game....a meaningful one versus being purely entertainment. $275 each for the whole enchalada.

And you're talking about $550 for just ONE ticket? To a purely entertainment 3-hour venue?

Oh, and for the first B1G sellout, it was probably 70% Hawk fans. Strong demand there too. But nobody was mercilessly screwing Iowa on the prices.

Last edited:

Latest posts