Damn expensive roses. Holy smokes.

I know Prime is Jon's provider, but since they're the exclusive seller, they're the ones setting the price and I, personally, think it's freaking outrageous what they're charging!

The Rose Bowl has always been the most dynamically priced bowl game. Very few bowl games sell out. None of them sell out within the first week to ten days, except one; The Rose.

The Rose Bowl has been a commodity like this for a long time, Iowa just hasn't been there.

Prime doesn't set prices, just like Stubhub doesn't set prices. Buyers set the prices.

I've nothing to do with pricing, we are marketing the trip. The prices will likely pull back...just as they did everywhere for the B1G Title game...but there is that gap between pulling back, and then availability concerns creep in, and they can go back up.

Those are the facts.

Now, having stated the facts, I am also in shock at this. I can tell you that I have spoken with 20 year travel industry veterans today, and they have never seen anything like this (the demand from Iowa fans) in the short amount of time. It is record setting. At some point, that has to abate, doesn't it?

Universal Rose Bowl Tickets!!!!

th

Unfortantly, for many Hawkeye fans, the dream of finally reaching the Rose Bowl has become a nightmare. You've got the top 400 Americans owning more wealth than the bottom 150 million Americans. Most folks do not think that is right.

In 2015 the average Hawkeye fan should not be paying 300 to 500% times their average take home pay for nose blead seating while the top 1 tenth of 1 percent can take in 50 yard line and luxurious press box seats with corporate sponsorship and exclusive booster and private preferential treatment. I'm telling you Hawkeye fans.....Boycott this thing....have a revolution! Go to www.berniesanders.com and together let's get these Rose Bowl tickets prices universal and affordable.

Last edited:
From Stubhub:

Orange Bowl - From $150
Cotton Bowl - From $80
CFP Championship - From $585
Rose Bowl - From $785

The fact that Iowa is in the Rose Bowl is cool. But couldn't have ended up in a worse bowl from an "average fan" standpoint.

The Rose Bowl has always been the most dynamically priced bowl game. Very few bowl games sell out. None of them sell out within the first week to ten days, except one; The Rose.

The Rose Bowl has been a commodity like this for a long time, Iowa just hasn't been there.

Prime doesn't set prices, just like Stubhub doesn't set prices. Buyers set the prices.

I've nothing to do with pricing, we are marketing the trip. The prices will likely pull back...just as they did everywhere for the B1G Title game...but there is that gap between pulling back, and then availability concerns creep in, and they can go back up.

Those are the facts.

Now, having stated the facts, I am also in shock at this. I can tell you that I have spoken with 20 year travel industry veterans today, and they have never seen anything like this (the demand from Iowa fans) in the short amount of time. It is record setting. At some point, that has to abate, doesn't it?

<<At some point, that has to abate, doesn't it?>>

Not necessarily. My wife worked for a travel company based in Wisconsin for about 8 years. They booked Wisconsin bowl trips during that time. Every single one sold out almost immediately. B1G fans travel. They support their teams. Simple as that.

Sure, there will be some ebbs and flows, but Iowa hasn't been to the Rose Bowl in 30 years. It would take 10 STRAIGHT Rose Bowls before every Hawkeye fan that has always "dreamed of watching the Hawks in the Rose Bowl!" actually got to go "see the Hawks in the Rose Bowl!"

Aside from the typical tools like Thunder, OK4P, etc., most folks enjoy the Hawks, support the Hawks and will watch the Hawks. They don't come on just so they can say the Hawks "blew the biggest game in their history" or clamor for Greg Davis's head because we didn't light up the scoreboard against a team whose defense, for about the last five years, has been as good as any in the country.

But...the last time most of these folks went to a Rose Bowl, The Fieldhouse was still selling $1 pitchers on Thursday nights. And ColoradoHawkeye and I were taking part in a BIG way :)

From Stubhub:

Orange Bowl - From $150
Cotton Bowl - From $80
CFP Championship - From $585
Rose Bowl - From $785

The fact that Iowa is in the Rose Bowl is cool. But couldn't have ended up in a worse bowl from an "average fan" standpoint.

Sadly, I agree with this.

I'm all about Capitalism, but this is a joke. I'm getting tickets from the university, but if not, there isn't a chance in hell I would give this Prime a Thousand dollars for a standard ticket. It's actually pretty insulting. I've got a large contingent that go to games with us and everyone is fairly appalled and these are doctors and lawyers.

th

Unfortantly, for many Hawkeye fans, the dream of finally reaching the Rose Bowl has become a nightmare. You've got the top 400 Americans owning more wealth than the bottom 150 million Americans. Most folks do not think that is right.

In 2015 the average Hawkeye fan should not be paying 300 to 500% times their average take home pay for nose blead seating while the top 1 tenth of 1 percent can take in 50 yard line and luxurious press box seats with corporate sponsorship and exclusive booster and private preferential treatment. I'm telling you Hawkeye fans.....Boycott this thing....have a revolution! Go to www.berniesanders.com and together let's get these Rose Bowl tickets prices universal and affordable.

All I can say is this: I'm just glad you kept politics out of it.

I'm all about Capitalism, but this is a joke. I'm getting tickets from the university, but if not, there isn't a chance in hell I would give this Prime a Thousand dollars for a standard ticket. It's actually pretty insulting. I've got a large contingent that go to games with us and everyone is fairly appalled and these are doctors and lawyers.

Neil, while I certainly don't begrudge anyone thinking that is too much to spend on a game, you're aiming at the wrong target.

Here is an article from Forbes, 12/9/2013, when MSU went to the Rose:

"The 2014 Rose Bowl looks like it will be the most expensive edition of the ‘Grandaddy’ in recent history, with pent-up demand and proximity again making the difference. For Michigan State, it’s been 25 years since their last visit to the Rose Bowl. For Stanford, it’s a five-hour party bus down I-5. As a result Rose Bowl tickets have an average price of $978, which is over double the price of the last two games. On the low-end, the cheapest BCS bowl is the Orange Bowl, with Orange Bowl tickets going for under $200."

Hmmm....pent up demand, 25-year drought....that sounds familiar.

Last edited:

Those are the facts.

I was under the impression that Prime was the Rose's contracted reseller. Not a Stubhub ticket exchange, but a buyer of the tickets directly from the Rose and then reselling directly to the public. If I'm wrong about that, then I apologize. But from where I'm sitting, it looks to me like they're the ones setting the market on these tickets and, if so, it's pretty egregious....

I went Stubhub...and I was QUICK on the trigger....they were just vanishing shortly after announcement. I still had a scare...probably paid way too much...but this is the one game where I was willing to do whatever as long as I could afford it.

Mine were around 400 after fees...although now I see the official Rose Bowl website wants 990 from that prime place??! Good lord! I got the email from University last week realized I probably wouldn't get Rose Bowl tickets given the allotment numbers and such, so took matters into my own hands.

Did not want to regret this 10 years down the road...

(Note: Airfare anywhere near Pasadena also seems to be skyrocketing...either the pent up demand for this game is ridiculous or there is multi industry collusion and price gouging. I tend to think the former, hotel we booked at said this afternoon was NUTS).

I am starting to think half the state might be there...

I was under the impression that Prime was the Rose's contracted reseller. Not a Stubhub ticket exchange, but a buyer of the tickets directly from the Rose and then reselling directly to the public. If I'm wrong about that, then I apologize. But from where I'm sitting, it looks to me like they're the ones setting the market on these tickets and, if so, it's pretty egregious....

They are the official ticket partner of the Rose. What all that means, I do not know. There are tickets for sale on the secondary market right now. I would wager Prime wholesales some of their tix to other vendors....and then the marketplace determines the price, which it always does.

This. I don't get it. Primesport is selling just a game ticket and tailgate package for $1125? If they get tickets directly from the Rose bowl why are they reselling them to fans for $1100 and why would any iowa site agree to partner with them?

This is Jons exact quote on prime:
"They are the Official Rose Bowl partner for Tickets as well as Hospitality."

So they are getting face value tickets from the Rose Bowl and then gouging iowa fans for an extra thousand bucks?

I must be missing something

The average 2014 Rose Bowl ticket with MSU there was $678, when all was said and done. This year is tracking that...and that year started out much higher, just like this year

Those are the facts.

I'm not so sure that you should count on the demand slowing down. Anyone who was trying to scalp tickets for the B1G title game would agree with me. Never seen scalpers so unwilling to negotiate, and charge such obscene prices for the worst seats in the stadium. Last night, AFTER first Iowa FG, the cheapest I could find from a scalper was $250 a piece. I think there really are THAT MANY of us Hawk fans that have been waiting for these big games, and many are willing to pay through the roof to get in the stadium.

I'm not so sure that you should count on the demand slowing down. Anyone who was trying to scalp tickets for the B1G title game would agree with me. Never seen scalpers so unwilling to negotiate, and charge such obscene prices for the worst seats in the stadium. Last night, AFTER first Iowa FG, the cheapest I could find from a scalper was $250 a piece. I think there really are THAT MANY of us Hawk fans that have been waiting for these big games, and many are willing to pay through the roof to get in the stadium.

This is kind of what I'm thinking...the number of people I know who are like "Got my tickets!" Is pretty crazy....and I don't run in rich social circles by any means...

But a common theme is: "We always said, the next time they go....we're going because who knows how long it will be!" Heck that's my view, this could be a once in a lifetime event. Especially with the changing college football landscape.

Jon, the average price for a Rose Bowl ticket last year, as a Nat'l Semifinal Game was $272.10....we're looking at over 3 times that right now. Somethings rotten in Denmark...

It is like Gordon Gekko is waving his magic hand behind the scene with these over-inflated ticket prices. But, still glad Iowa got the Rose Bowl by a mile. Will enjoy watching from at home.

I saw the price of almost 4 grand and couldn't believe it. Then I saw it didn't include tickets to the game. Wowzers. Suppy and demand. You don't sale something for 2 grand that you can sale for 4 just to be nice. Unfortunately you're gunna have to count me out too though.

Latest posts