cubs vs braves

Long time Braves fan here.....

Best thing about baseball sometimes is that the next game comes soon.

The Braves scored more runs today than in any game they played all of last year......only scored 18 runs in all their games (6) with the Cubs last year I believe......most runs the Braves have scored on opening day since 1900 when they were the Boston Beaneaters :)

Brave's fans haven't had much to chirp about in a few years so maybe we can surprise this year after going out and acquiring some offense in the offseason. Heyward's promotion to the majors will be fun to watch.

Good luck to your Cubs.

Although it might not seem like a big deal now, that "double play," when mclouth dropped the ball(ruled a catch) and then threw it to first for the 2nd out was just terrible. The ball clearly hit the ground. Instead of the Cubs having two men on with 0 outs, they get 2 outs with 0 men on. Down only 3 runs at that point of the game, and the Cubs getting some momentum, they could have score 1 or 2 runs that inning and it would've been a totally different game.

said the exact same thing. that was easily one of, if not the worst, blown calls i have ever seen....the guy rounding first sees the ball come out, but none of the guys who are being paid to protect the integrity of the rules catch it....it's pretty clearly stated that in order for a catch to be considered a "catch", assuming it is caught with the glove, the ball has to be cleanly transitioned from the mit to the throwing hand....the damn thing rolled on the ground for 4 feet.

big inning quickly turned into "no inning..." it's only one, i know, but still frustrating. annnnd why was marshall pulled? he was pitching well, and the let him lead off the inning....just didn't make much sense to me....unless he was hurting or something.

Zambrano has had some brutal opening days in the past. That was definitely the worst yet. He had some rough luck to start the game. I'm not worried about him yet, but I could do without watching Samardzija walk people all season again.

Although it might not seem like a big deal now, that "double play," when mclouth dropped the ball(ruled a catch) and then threw it to first for the 2nd out was just terrible. The ball clearly hit the ground. Instead of the Cubs having two men on with 0 outs, they get 2 outs with 0 men on. Down only 3 runs at that point of the game, and the Cubs getting some momentum, they could have score 1 or 2 runs that inning and it would've been a totally different game.

Couldn't have said that much better; that was clearly the games turning point.

said the exact same thing. that was easily one of, if not the worst, blown calls i have ever seen....the guy rounding first sees the ball come out, but none of the guys who are being paid to protect the integrity of the rules catch it....it's pretty clearly stated that in order for a catch to be considered a "catch", assuming it is caught with the glove, the ball has to be cleanly transitioned from the mit to the throwing hand....the damn thing rolled on the ground for 4 feet.

Not even close. It was a bad call, but there have been far worse, in far bigger situations.

Just saw the replay of the play in CF. Wow. McClouth did the right thing bouncing up and making the throw. Bad missed call but the umps were screened. This happens all throughout the year, but with the Cubs, it gets magnified. Can't hide the fact that the Cubs gave up 16 runs.

Man, got home and have been watching the DVR of the game. I am so pumped about the Braves this season....one final shot for Bobby! I have hard so many great things about Hayward and that kid showed how darn good he is today. Wow, what an opening day for the Braves!!

Regardless of the importance of the call (I know it was only opening day) but yes....that was easily one of THE WORST CALLS, I have ever seen. At no point in time, when a catch is made, does the baseball roll in plain view of an entire stadium, on the ground for four feet. That was terrible. Had it been during the playoffs or World Series, then yeah, probably barr-nunn the worst call I have ever seen. Easily in the top 5, irregardless of how "important" the game was. If the Cubs were up 10-0 when it happened, it wouldn't have changed the fact that it was God-Awful.

Regardless of the importance of the call (I know it was only opening day) but yes....that was easily one of THE WORST CALLS, I have ever seen. At no point in time, when a catch is made, does the baseball roll in plain view of an entire stadium, on the ground for four feet. That was terrible. Had it been during the playoffs or World Series, then yeah, probably barr-nunn the worst call I have ever seen. Easily in the top 5, irregardless of how "important" the game was. If the Cubs were up 10-0 when it happened, it wouldn't have changed the fact that it was God-Awful.

But it didn't happen that way. In real time, I thought he caught it, and the announcers thought he caught it. Hell, you probably thought he caught it.

You must not have seen a whole lot of playoff baseball since the mid 1990s. because there have been calls a lot worse than that.

Last edited:
But it didn't happen that way. In real time, I thought he caught it, and the announcers thought he caught it. Hell, you probably thought he caught it.

You must not have seen a whole lot of playoff baseball since the mid 1990s. because there have been calls a lot worse than that.

He's a Cubs fan, so of course he hasn't seen much playoff baseball. ;)

You're right. I'm only an umpire. When would I have ever seen any baseball. Considering I watch literally every single Cubs game that is televised. How can you say it wasn't an awful call? And is it really outside of the realm of possibility that it was legitimately one of the worst calls I have ever seen? When an outfielder makes a catch, he isn't using a bare hand. And he isn't flipping the ball to someone with his glove. The ball is removed from his glove with his hand. The dude's hand never came near his mit. The ball was rolling on the f'ng ground, 3 feet in front of him. It was at no point, ever anything but clearly, not a catch. It was comparable to a quarterback throwing a pass, bouncing it 3 feet in front of a receiver at his feet, and the ball winding up in the receiver's chest, being called a catch. There was nothing "iffy" at all about that call, and considering there are 4 freaking guys out there watching.....I find it extremely hard to believe not a single one of them saw the ball NOT retrieved from his glove, but instead the ground, when the guy rounding first base saw it from 180 feet away.

And no, I didn't think he caught it "in real time", I thought he caught it for a half a second, and then I noticed a.) the ball didn't get retrieved from his glove, hell, it wasn't retrieved from his glove side. and b.) um....the ball was rolling on the ground.....literally for 3 to 4 feet. It wasn't even questionable.

I see that happen all of the time....Umpires out to lunch. Busy watching to see if someone tags, instead of watching to see if a catch is made in the first place. Just like close plays at first. "Tie goes to the runner", if you are entirely too lazy to listen for the pop of the ball hitting the mit while watching for the runner's foot to touch the bag, and then, without hesitating, making sure the catch was in fact made, and making a quick, and selling call, safe or out. The 3rd base umpire was completely ahead of himself, and none of the other 3 guys were paying attention to step one of making the correct call, ensuring the ball was actually caught.

Jesus dude! It is game 1 of 162. Get over it. Four straight posts ********?!

Yeah, four straight posts! Because I'm ******* multi-tasking in Iraq between this and streaming the basketball game. Sorry to inconvenience you. Was just getting ready to say, all ******* matches aside, I'm extremely happy it's baseball season, best time of the year next to Saturday's in Kinnick....it will be okay HS4E, I promise. People around here starting to act like they are getting paid for posting on HN, or having their performances evaluated or something....if I can't be part of the cool kid crowd I'll just go back to HawkeyeInsider....maybe that will loosen everyone's panties up a bit....

Latest posts