Cubs Spring Training

Nobody on the Cubs should be practicing bunting aside from the pitchers. Worst ******* play in sports.

Yes, God forbid you actually move a runner into scoring position! Swinging for the fences on the first pitch always works for the Cubs.

Yes, God forbid you actually move a runner into scoring position! Swinging for the fences on the first pitch always works for the Cubs.

You don't give up outs in baseball.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd since when is there no middle ground between the awful bunt and swinging for the fences on the first pitch.

I read where the seedings were completely random. Lahair vs. Rizzo is interesting, too. In the article, Woody says he has a "cakewalk" vs. Sveum, so doesn't sound like he will let him win. Winner gets $2k, each chipped in $50. More than working on bunting, I think this is just fun and will go a long ways toward a positive clubhouse.

You don't give up outs in baseball.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd since when is there no middle ground between the awful bunt and swinging for the fences on the first pitch.

Double plays aren't a good idea either. Ground ball after a successful bunt has a guy on third with two outs. No bunt and a ground ball and you usually have a double play with two outs. It's all depends on the situation though.

Cubs have grounded into many double plays when a bunt might have helped them. I'm all for small ball.

I would take a sac bunt over a double play any day. But if you didn't realize there are guys in this leauge that are really good at getting on base by bunting (Campana could be one) and everyone should know how to bunt. It's a good skill to have, and to get the whole team involved in the competition is a great idea. I'm sure he's not going to have all these guys bunting all the time, but how do you say, ok, it's the pitchers and campana in this competition.

It's a team bonding event and competition which is always a great thing to have.

My money is no Dempster.

I would take a sac bunt over a double play any day. But if you didn't realize there are guys in this leauge that are really good at getting on base by bunting (Campana could be one) and everyone should know how to bunt. It's a good skill to have, and to get the whole team involved in the competition is a great idea. I'm sure he's not going to have all these guys bunting all the time, but how do you say, ok, it's the pitchers and campana in this competition.

It's a team bonding event and competition which is always a great thing to have.

My money is no Dempster.

Right on Farmer...the whole team INCLUDING the coaches, which I think is a great team bonding activity. Don't underestimate the team bonding talk.

This started yesterday apparently, but I haven't heard any results or seen an updated bracket yet.

Nobody on the Cubs should be practicing bunting aside from the pitchers. Worst ******* play in sports.

The Cubs just simply don't have the big RBI slugger types in the lineup this year. They have to find ways to produce runs. Sometimes, that's going to mean bunting a guy over from second to third with one out, or putting a guy in scoring position with the game on the line.

By the way, for those here with the facebook and interested in Cubs Spring Training, check out "Paul Sullivan's Official Page". He's got some great pics and info.

Brett Jackson and Anthony Rizzo held an impromptu HR Derby during BP yesterday. Rick Sutcliffe was throwing BP apparently. Rizzo hit one over the 50 foot high batters eye in dead center. Some estimate it traveled 475 feet. Theo and Jed were watching and apparently couldn't stop smiling.

Wood drilled Castro in the right wrist yesterday during BP, but Castro is apparently all right as he lined a Marmol fastball off the right field wall a few pitches later. Wood apologized.

This is pathetic I know but I sure wish they would have filmed this. With the NBA on break and no college games of interest to me on last night I found myself watching reruns of Diners, Drive In's, and Dives. They could have put this on last night and I would have been glued to it.

If you have Directv and get Comcast, Dave Kaplan is in Mesa right now doing his Chicago Tribune Live show from spring training.