Cubs Spring Training

They are going to keep Randy around and see if anyone gets injured early, and if Travis Wood can pull his head out of his butt. If nobody gets injured there has been some reported trade interest in Wells, so he could move, but Theo has stated he wants SP depth.

They are going to keep Randy around and see if anyone gets injured early, and if Travis Wood can pull his head out of his butt. If nobody gets injured there has been some reported trade interest in Wells, so he could move, but Theo has stated he wants SP depth.

I did see the interest in Wells as well as Marlon Byrd. The Braves seem to be the main contender for Byrd.

Sveum has called Brett Jackson the most impressive minor league player he has EVER seen in a major league camp. 3 veterans have said that Jackson is ready to play everyday in the big leagues right now and he has conducted himself like a veteran the entire spring.

I would still like to see them wait until June, just for that extra year though.

I did see the interest in Wells as well as Marlon Byrd. The Braves seem to be the main contender for Byrd.

Sveum has called Brett Jackson the most impressive minor league player he has EVER seen in a major league camp. 3 veterans have said that Jackson is ready to play everyday in the big leagues right now and he has conducted himself like a veteran the entire spring.

I would still like to see them wait until June, just for that extra year though.

I agree, save his year of control and let him feast on AAA pitching for a while. I think Campana could be serviceable at CF for a while and I think between Soriano, DeJesus, and Mather, maybe Sappelt the OF could survive. Just hate to waste that year of control if the team isn't going to do much.

I agree, save his year of control and let him feast on AAA pitching for a while. I think Campana could be serviceable at CF for a while and I think between Soriano, DeJesus, and Mather, maybe Sappelt the OF could survive. Just hate to waste that year of control if the team isn't going to do much.

That is it right there. If this team had a realistic shot of contending, you start the season with Jackson in Chicago. They dont, so bring him up in June.

Side note, Clevenger given backup catcher duties. I think Castillo has the brighter future honestly, but I think he needs one more season to develop in AAA. If Soto gets injured I would expect Castillo to get most of the games over Clevenger.

Side note, Clevenger given backup catcher duties. I think Castillo has the brighter future honestly, but I think he needs one more season to develop in AAA. If Soto gets injured I would expect Castillo to get most of the games over Clevenger.

Absolutely! Clevenger is nothing more than a career backup. The only reason they are sending Castillo to Iowa is so he can play every day. If/when Soto gets traded Castillo would be the starter.

Absolutely! Clevenger is nothing more than a career backup. The only reason they are sending Castillo to Iowa is so he can play every day. If/when Soto gets traded Castillo would be the starter.

I am not sure where this opinion is coming from. The two of them are approximately the same age and Clevenger performed better at the plate and also behind the plate. He made the team because he had a better spring and he earned it.

I am not sure where this opinion is coming from. The two of them are approximately the same age and Clevenger performed better at the plate and also behind the plate. He made the team because he had a better spring and he earned it.

Castillo is better at throwing runners out and they like Castillo's power potential. Castillo is a year younger than Clevenger, for a catcher this makes a difference. But if Clevenger can prove he can hit at the big league level it is nice having a left handed hitter for a catcher.

Please provide some statistics to support this short-sighted opinion.

It was based on an article I read earlier in the spring, may have even been before spring training. But I cannot find it now so perhaps my "short-sighted opinion" may be wrong. It isn't the first time and I doubt it will be the last.

Clevenger has been better than Castillo in the minors but I don't think it matters. I don't think either will be much in the majors.

Clevenger was about 10 points lower in BA, they had the same # of HR during the spring and Castillo was injured early on. Both have great potential, but I personally believe the Cubs prefer Castillo due to the potential power as SSC said. I think Clevenger definitely earned it and I don't know if he is a career backup but I don't think he definitely beat Castillo for the backup job.

Latest posts