Cubs Spring Training

MikeDog70

Came across this article just now. Great (short) read and pics of spring training already. Mostly minor leaguers, but as the author says it's so cool seeing a manager and coach already there working on basics. And what they have to tell the players about the attitude the Cubs team, from front office to bat boy, will be taking is awesome.

Sheridan's Blog

I'm hoping for some out of no where year like 2001 where we randomly compete for most of the year. Plus, the division could struggle.

*looks at roster

Nevermind.

I'm hoping for some out of no where year like 2001 where we randomly compete for most of the year. Plus, the division could struggle.

*looks at roster

Nevermind.

The teams that will struggle: Chicago, Houston, and maybe Milwaukee a little depending on how this thing with Braun shakes out.

The Reds should be decent, Pitt will be better and the Cardinals, even with the loss of Pujols will dominate the central...12 in 12 GO REDBIRDS!

The Cubs need LaHair and Stewart to have career years to make up for the production of losing Pena & Ramirez just to be as good (or bad) as last years team. I look at the Cubs projected lineup and I wonder how in the heck they are going to score any runs.

The Cubs need LaHair and Stewart to have career years to make up for the production of losing Pena & Ramirez just to be as good (or bad) as last years team. I look at the Cubs projected lineup and I wonder how in the heck they are going to score any runs.

Barney!

9514436-large.jpg

LaHair likely won't be good and Stewart could be ok but even then he won't match Ramirez.

They likely won't score many runs. The only hope they have is that the defense should be improved which will make average to decent starting pitching look better when combined with a lower offensive climate to begin with. I imagine if the Cubs do win games somehow they will be very low scoring ones.

The teams that will struggle: Chicago, Houston, and maybe Milwaukee a little depending on how this thing with Braun shakes out.

The Reds should be decent, Pitt will be better and the Cardinals, even with the loss of Pujols will dominate the central...12 in 12 GO REDBIRDS!

The Brewers can still pitch and their offense will be down but once Braun comes back they'll be fine. My early season division picks are:

Brewers
Cardinals-Too many question marks for me, they will rely heavily on Carpenter and Wainright (both have had injuries in the past) and Berkman (whose old and you never know with old guys)
Reds-Dusty Baker
Pirates-they were pretty lucky to be as good as they were last year. I think they'll be worse than last year myself.
Cubs-They'll suck but Houston will be really bad too.
Astros-Yeah, they suck too.

LaHair likely won't be good and Stewart could be ok but even then he won't match Ramirez.

They likely won't score many runs. The only hope they have is that the defense should be improved which will make average to decent starting pitching look better when combined with a lower offensive climate to begin with. I imagine if the Cubs do win games somehow they will be very low scoring ones.

Unless Steward is a big time improvement over Ramirez the Cubs will not be any better defensively. Especially considering LaHair is not anywhere near the defensive 1st baseman Pena was. Hopefully Castro makes tremendous strides at short as he would have had even more errors without Pena at 1st.

Unless Steward is a big time improvement over Ramirez the Cubs will not be any better defensively. Especially considering LaHair is not anywhere near the defensive 1st baseman Pena was. Hopefully Castro makes tremendous strides at short as he would have had even more errors without Pena at 1st.

The outfield will be improved with Dejesus and Stewart is a lot better defender than Ramirez (I love Ramirez, he's my favorite Cub, maybe ever. Also Stewart isn't great himself but, once again, he's better than Ramirez) but his defense isn't good.

I am positive Castro will be fine defensively. There is evidence that good young short stops have had issues with errors as they are learning the position (it's a very hard position to play) and his range is very good.

It's hard to measure how meaningful good first base defense is or how to measure it to begin with so while I'm sure there will be a hit with LaHair's defense over Pena's it's hard to say how great of an impact it will be. Also, one has to wonder if Rizzo will be called up this year. He is a good defender himself.

I think the Cubs are going to be a better defensive team mainly because Theo has some sabermetric tricks up his sleeve that relate to defensive measures and that's why the Cubs have made trades for guys most people aren't familiar with and why he's traded for 4/5 starter type pitchers. He's basically trying to take advantage of some inefficiency that is unknown. This is my opinion though he has taken a liking to defensive players in recent years.

it doesnt matter if their defense is better because in wrigley they need dominant pitchers since it is such an easy hitters park. they will not be good because they rely on bottom of the order role players to be stars...for example - barney.

1) reds
2) cardinals
3) brewers
4) pirates
5) cubs
6) astros

very weak division. expect the east to be strongest in nl and have the team playing for the world series.

it doesnt matter if their defense is better because in wrigley they need dominant pitchers since it is such an easy hitters park. they will not be good because they rely on bottom of the order role players to be stars...for example - barney.

1) reds
2) cardinals
3) brewers
4) pirates
5) cubs
6) astros

very weak division. expect the east to be strongest in nl and have the team playing for the world series.

Less than half the time yes but most of the time no it's not.

For the record, Ramirez could not come close to matching Stewart defensively. And this isn't my opinion, it's the opinion of Keith Law at ESPN as well as most everyone at Baseball America.

Latest posts