Cub Offseason Moves/Rumors

I agree if you give them the years they are looking for. However Pujols has produced for about 6 or 7 years now so that's a lot different than any player Hendry got. I honestly don't think they get either or want to, but are trying to make other teams spend more.

If the cubs offered Pujols 6 years, I'd be estatic.

They can offer him 6 years all they want he wants 9 or 10 period..

Really? Soriano, Zambrano ring a bell? You give Pujols or Fielder the number of years they want with the money they are demanding and it is exactly like what Hendry did. I thought Epstein was hired here to build the team by developing the farm system and finding players that fit Wrigley Field. Pujols might be a good fit today but will he still be productive 5 years from now? Putting a average to poor defensive player like Fielder on a team that is already bad defensively in the infield could be disastrous.

Zambrano and Soriano are not near the players Pujols and Fielder are so it really isn't. Epstein has the resources to build a farm system and sign free agents with the Cubs pay roll. He did it in Boston and he absolutely will do it here. Hendry's problem wasn't signing free agents, it was making bad choices when doing so.

Pujols will likely be just fine even beyond 5 years from now. He may not be Albert Pujols in his prime good but he will likely be Major League Baseball good as most players similar to him in skill are still very good when they hit upper 30's.

Players that fit Wrigley Field are good baseball players.

Buster Olney said on Mike and Mike he thinks there is no chance Pujols signs with the Cubs. He thinks Theo is messing with the other teams to make them sign him to an outragous contract that would come back to bite the other team in the arse.
He does think they will make a strong attempt at Prince though.

Anyways if the Ricketts say they can win now then that must mean they will do some damage in trades/free agents. If they wait for their farm system to develop talent then we might be waiting 100 more years.

The Cubs easily have the resources to do both.

I agree, I would take Pujols for 6 years in a heartbeat. But why would he come here for that when he has already turned down 230 million over 10 years with the Cardinals?

For the record, it's fairly well documented the Cardinals offer to Pujols was, and still is, 9 years, $198 million.

Really? Soriano, Zambrano ring a bell? You give Pujols or Fielder the number of years they want with the money they are demanding and it is exactly like what Hendry did. I thought Epstein was hired here to build the team by developing the farm system and finding players that fit Wrigley Field. Pujols might be a good fit today but will he still be productive 5 years from now? Putting a average to poor defensive player like Fielder on a team that is already bad defensively in the infield could be disastrous.

Some thoughts here:

1. Neither Soriano nor Zambrano are comparable to Pujols or Fielder. The latter two are guys you build teams around. The same cannot be said for the former.

2. Theo's plan to build through development took an unexpected hit w/ the new CBA. He can still proceed as planned, it's just going to take him longer, which is why the Cubs will still be players in free agency.

They can offer him 6 years all they want he wants 9 or 10 period..

A player who is about to turn 32, asking for a 10 year contract, is ludicrous. Anybody who gives Pujols that can only hope he is still any good 6-7 years into that deal.

A player who is about to turn 32, asking for a 10 year contract, is ludicrous. Anybody who gives Pujols that can only hope he is still any good 6-7 years into that deal.

The only way he gets 10 years is if the money is front-loaded. No way will teams pay him 20 million+ in those last few years.

By the way, the Cubs signed David DeJesus today.

Saw this, decent pick up for the first move out of the new front office. I believe 2 years/10 mill?

Also see where Greg Maddux has left the team for Texas...to be with his brother. I don't think he will coach, but be in a similar position as to whatever it was he was doing for the Cubs, special assistant to the GM or something?

Also sort of entertaining that the Red Sox have hired Vallentine? That's quite a gamble, IMO. He will probably do well at first, then get attacked by the sillies. He better get his costumes dusted off.

DeJesus is a solid pickup for the money. Low risk, high reward if he reverts back to KC numbers.

With this signing, I'd be shocked if Colvin is a Cub after 12/8. I'm guessing he is the compensation to be named for Theo.

Interesting. 31 year old (soon to be 32) with a career low OPS last year. First of many moves coming.

Yes, his year last year was not so good. Theo seems to be valuing defense quite a bit now a days so I'm guessing that factored into the decision quite a bit.

He seems like a placeholder type player. As someone else stated earlier, it seems like a low risk high reward scenario.

DeJesus can't be worse than our last RF tandem or Colvin in general, and we know how Theo likes his statistics. Well DeJesus does not walk and usually (except last year) is very good at getting on base. He is a very typical Theo signing, ala Bill Mueller.

Also, I just read that the cubs are committed to $70 mill next year, but with arbitration to Baker, Soto, Garza and Wells are arbitration eligible which could push that to 90 already. Plus DeJesus, that doesn't leave a ton of room if you sign Pujols or Fielder.

Yes, his year last year was not so good. Theo seems to be valuing defense quite a bit now a days so I'm guessing that factored into the decision quite a bit.

He seems like a placeholder type player. As someone else stated earlier, it seems like a low risk high reward scenario.
Yep, I think Dejesus is an attempt to get a player on the cheap (a placeholder if you will) and I don't mind. I think we will see a few of these types of players. It will be interesting to follow.

apparently the red sox are trying to deal crawford. If I were the cubs I would trade Soriano for Crawford. I know it's not a good contract, but I think Crawford will bounce back. I would like this move a lot.

apparently the red sox are trying to deal crawford. If I were the cubs I would trade Soriano for Crawford. I know it's not a good contract, but I think Crawford will bounce back. I would like this move a lot.

Problem there is I don't see Boston even considering Soriano for Crawford.

Problem there is I don't see Boston even considering Soriano for Crawford.

well I won't disagree with you on that one, but if they let Ortiz go (which I have no idea if they will or not haven't heard) they could use a DH, and 3 years of bad contract v. 6 might sound good to them. I don't know. Just thought it would be interesting to consider.

I should say I know it will never happen even if boston wanted to as I doubt Theo wants to start his cubs era with the same contract that was at the end of his time in boston.

Latest posts