Cub Offseason Moves/Rumors

Who's going to play ss in Miami? Reyes or Ramirez? Or will Ramirez be used for trade bait this week?

disgusting. The hall voters should be ashamed of themselves.

(for voting him in after he died and wasn't able to enjoy it)

No doubt. I'm glad to see Santo (finally) in the HOF, but it's too bad that it took his death for him to finally get votes. All of the sudden he gets 93%+? Shameful. Where was all the love a couple years ago?

No doubt. I'm glad to see Santo (finally) in the HOF, but it's too bad that it took his death for him to finally get votes. All of the sudden he gets 93%+? Shameful. Where was all the love a couple years ago?
Ostrich, Chad, or whatever.

disgusting. The hall voters should be ashamed of themselves.

(for voting him in after he died and wasn't able to enjoy it)

I always had a feeling that he would get in the first vote after he died. It's BS but it's nice that he finally got in.

I only really cared because it meant so much to him. In my opinion the hall of fame is kind of a sham anyways.

A few winter meeting details that may interest cubs fans.

Marlins offer Pujols 10 year deal, $$ unknown. Cubs put in offer, but expected to be worth fewere years.

Cubs are interested in trade for Padre switch hitting 3B headley (they want a releiver, james russell)
or Rockies left handed hitting 3B Ian Stewart (they want Colvin)

I'm fine with either deal, but wouldn't mind seeing Colvin go since we have DeJesus now. Stewart is known to have more power, though struggled last year, and Headley plays in San Diego so power #s expected to go up in Wrigley

I've heard rumors that Headley adjusted his swing to play at Petco which helped to diminish his power.

He's a good player who had an OPS of .864 last year on the road. I would imagine it would take more that someone like James Russell to get him though.

I'd trade Colvin for Stewart in a heartbeat even though he was horrible last year.

id love headley but id like to keep russell. hes going to be a stalwart in the pen for several years.

id love headley but id like to keep russell. hes going to be a stalwart in the pen for several years.

Pitching is hard to come by in baseball so a large part of me says keep Russell unless you get a great deal. However, I think back through all of the relievers the Cubs have had through the years, and there have been many guys who have had one or two great years and then just fallen apart. So I could see both sides of the argument of whether to trade him or not.

I'd prefer Stewart as I think he has the higher potential, however he flopped last year. However, Colvin is not a high need right now, even if he bounces back, Theo has said he wants DeJesus to be more than a platoon player, so if you can get this done I say do it. Also Russel was very good last year against lefties, so I say keep him if you can, but if he is what is holding a deal Theo and Co. think are important from getting done you have to move on.

I see Russel as being good against lefty's but who would also be pretty easily replaceable. If we had a chance to get good value out of him I'd have no issue dealing him.

Chicago Cubs Blog - ESPN Chicago

Looking more and more like Stewart is the more likely target than headley. I think they could give up DeWitt or Colvin and I would be fine with that. I'd give LeMehiue too. The one thing is that with such a horrible season last year they can't ask too much.

Latest posts