Cub Offseason Moves/Rumors

He may or may not be a cancer, but he's certainly not a leader, which is all I care about. I don't want a guy like that at shortstop, nor do I want the club to count on them to be the face of the franchise.
Also, aren't the Cubs where they are because of contracts to players who are selfish and not worth the money (or years on the contract). I would be afraid of Reyes falling into that category rather quickly. Also, he's a speed guy who can't stay healthy with leg issues. I would say no thanks.

You expect him to be a leader at 21? Interesting

I was referring to Reyes. Is Castro a leader right now? No. But I think he can be. Reyes has been around long enough to show that he simply doesn't have that in him. Yanking himself to preserve the batting crown was proof of that.

You expect him to be a leader at 21? Interesting
I was referring to Reyes. Is Castro a leader right now? No. But I think he can be. Reyes has been around long enough to show that he simply doesn't have that in him. Yanking himself to preserve the batting crown was proof of that.

I can't read I guess. I could not agree more about Reyes. I don't want to even touch him or Wright.

Why are we talking about Reyes when we have Castro? I think Castro has a much bigger upside than Reyes and a much better person to have in the clubhouse. Castro struggled defensively but I think with the right manager he can make improvements and not have those mental lapses he seemed to have last year.

As far as Fielder is concerned my opinions has changed on going after him. Considering how much money will have to be spent getting him is his extra power worth the big drop off defensively? With Fielder at first base the Cubs could have one of the worst infields defensively.

Why are we talking about Reyes when we have Castro? I think Castro has a much bigger upside than Reyes and a much better person to have in the clubhouse. Castro struggled defensively but I think with the right manager he can make improvements and not have those mental lapses he seemed to have last year.

As far as Fielder is concerned my opinions has changed on going after him. Considering how much money will have to be spent getting him is his extra power worth the big drop off defensively? With Fielder at first base the Cubs could have one of the worst infields defensively.

That's why I've always preferred that we go after Pujols (in the event that we were going to bid on either AP or Fielder). He's better defensively, a better hitter, and just a better athlete.

Francona practically begs the Cardinals to hire him, then, sniffs at the Cubs, saying it's "not a good fit."

Classic.

I think with Sveum as manager it helps Castro with his defense, which is mainly footwork issues.

Nothing wrong with Sveum. If Theo likes him...so do I.
What the front office does is more important than anything else.

Good story on Sveum and his background. I like the choice.

Chicago Cubs go for more than a name in Dale Sveum - ESPN Chicago

Good story and I have to admit I am struggling with the choice. Obviously I really wanted Maddux, but did Maddux really want the job? With the comments Alomar made about experience trumps numbers he did not seem like the right fit. So I am wondering if Sveum got the job as default. If they were down to Sveum as candidate then why wasn't Ryno interviewed? I cannot help but wonder what Sveum has that Ryne Sandberg does not.

But like the writer, I will trust Epstein and hope this is the one that manages the Cubs to the WS.

Good story and I have to admit I am struggling with the choice. Obviously I really wanted Maddux, but did Maddux really want the job? With the comments Alomar made about experience trumps numbers he did not seem like the right fit. So I am wondering if Sveum got the job as default. If they were down to Sveum as candidate then why wasn't Ryno interviewed? I cannot help but wonder what Sveum has that Ryne Sandberg does not.

But like the writer, I will trust Epstein and hope this is the one that manages the Cubs to the WS.
I would imagine Sveum's time with the Red Sox made him more familiar to Epstein.

Not entirely Cubs related, but:

Ryno to stay with Phillies' Triple-A team - Chicago Cubs Blog - ESPN Chicago

As I have said before, I am a huge Ryno fan...he was my favorite player growing up. I'm so glad he is not managing the Cubs, and being passed over for a couple other manager gigs really should put the Ryno for Manager story to rest for a bit. He needs to swallow a little pride and accept a major league bench coach position or something to continue to climb the ladder if he wants to one day be a manager IMO.

Also, did anyone see the bit about Z taking a line drive off his chin, still able to get the out, walk off the field and do his "patented" point to the sky on his way to the dugout? Dude got 18 stitches, but just walked off the field like he got a mosquito bite. I really hope he can come back mentally ready if he is to remain on the Cubs, even though I would prefer he be somewhere else.

Not entirely Cubs related, but:

Ryno to stay with Phillies' Triple-A team - Chicago Cubs Blog - ESPN Chicago

As I have said before, I am a huge Ryno fan...he was my favorite player growing up. I'm so glad he is not managing the Cubs, and being passed over for a couple other manager gigs really should put the Ryno for Manager story to rest for a bit. He needs to swallow a little pride and accept a major league bench coach position or something to continue to climb the ladder if he wants to one day be a manager IMO.

Also, did anyone see the bit about Z taking a line drive off his chin, still able to get the out, walk off the field and do his "patented" point to the sky on his way to the dugout? Dude got 18 stitches, but just walked off the field like he got a mosquito bite. I really hope he can come back mentally ready if he is to remain on the Cubs, even though I would prefer he be somewhere else.
I do think it is interesting that the Cubs (and seemingly other teams) wanted (and still wants) Ryno to get minor league managing experience yet Robin Ventura and Mike Matheny both get MLB managing jobs with no previous managing experience anywhere. Something is not quite right there.

It's going to take more than a line drive off of Big Z's face to knock some sense into him. :)

If the Cubs signed Pujols it would be absolutely hilarious....and guarantee another decade of losing baseball

Why would a team who has no chance to compete in the next 3-4 years sign a guy who maybe 3 or 4 good years left?

I just dont see Theo being this dumb

If the Cubs signed Pujols it would be absolutely hilarious....and guarantee another decade of losing baseball

Why would a team who has no chance to compete in the next 3-4 years sign a guy who maybe 3 or 4 good years left?

Smoke screen, bus! Shhhhhhhhhhhh! :)

Good. Of the two, I still prefer Pujols.

I do too, and I think it's possible. Florida came in with a low ball offer, so nobody has topped the St. Louis offer yet. With no threat from the Yankees or Red Sox there seems to be very little competition to drive up the price. The Nationals seem to want Fielder, and as far as I'm concerned, they can have him.

I do too, and I think it's possible. Florida came in with a low ball offer, so nobody has topped the St. Louis offer yet. With no threat from the Yankees or Red Sox there seems to be very little competition to drive up the price. The Nationals seem to want Fielder, and as far as I'm concerned, they can have him.

bus, to a degree I agree with you. I'm not sure I want to see the Cubs sign either of them right now. But if they're going to try for Fielder, then they better damn well be gunning for Pujols too, IMO. He's still the better player, and even when his hitting declines he'll have his glove to fall back on (which we desperately need at first right now).

Latest posts