Cub Offseason Moves/Rumors

bus, to a degree I agree with you. I'm not sure I want to see the Cubs sign either of them right now. But if they're going to try for Fielder, then they better damn well be gunning for Pujols too, IMO. He's still the better player, and even when his hitting declines he'll have his glove to fall back on (which we desperately need at first right now).

I agree....if they really want to sign one I would go with Pujols. I think there is a pretty strong chance Prince will balloon up to about 500 pounds after he gets his deal. I think these reports are only there to drive the price up on the teams who will end up signing Pujols and Fielder. It makes a lot of sense for the Cubs to float rumors, leak potential offers and force the Cards to overpay for him.

I think Theo is very smart and after getting burned by some large contracts recently at Boston my guess is he is strictly trying to drive up the price.

Will be interesting

Why would a team who has no chance to compete in the next 3-4 years sign a guy who maybe 3 or 4 good years left?

Disagree. The Cubs lost 96 games in 2006, made the playoffs in 2007, and won 97 games in 2008. To say they have "no chance" to compete in the next 3-4 years is flat out wrong.

And Pujols is about to turn 32. He likely has more than 3-4 good years left (he would only be mid 30's by then) unless he burns out early.

That said, I'll shake my head if the Cubs tie themselves up with a Pujols contract for 8-10 years, which would take Pujols to his 40th birthday or beyond.

I do agree that Pujols is the better player, though. Just don't want to see the Cubs get bogged down in any more bad contracts.

I don't want either at the contracts they want. If Pujols takes a 6 year deal do it, but 10 is crazy at that money. And Fielder is a 4 or 5 year guy IMO.

Also, the talk of trading Garza is heating up. I say do it, see if you can't get some solid prospects back. Also if you can trade Byrd (though he may be a better deadline guy) Marmol, or Soto, do it.

Jackson can play now, Cashner can close (I don't see him as a starter with the injuries) and Castillo can catch. Get the prospects. As that article stated it will be much tougher to build through the draft now.

I agree....if they really want to sign one I would go with Pujols. I think there is a pretty strong chance Prince will balloon up to about 500 pounds after he gets his deal. I think these reports are only there to drive the price up on the teams who will end up signing Pujols and Fielder. It makes a lot of sense for the Cubs to float rumors, leak potential offers and force the Cards to overpay for him.

I think Theo is very smart and after getting burned by some large contracts recently at Boston my guess is he is strictly trying to drive up the price.

Will be interesting

I agree that the Cubs may just be driving up the price, and I'm good with that too. However, because I'm an irratinoal Cub fan, I think they could contend in 3 years and Pujols will still be effective at that time. A guy like that makes everyone else around him a little better. So if the price is right, I say why not try to sign one of the greatest players the game has seen in a while?

If the Cubs signed Pujols it would be absolutely hilarious....and guarantee another decade of losing baseball

Why would a team who has no chance to compete in the next 3-4 years sign a guy who maybe 3 or 4 good years left?

I just dont see Theo being this dumb

Pujols may just be the best hitter of all time, his decline when he is at the end of the contract will likely be better than what a lot of players put up in their prime and there is not reason that it would take 3-4 years for the Cubs to compete anyways. Especially with a player like Pujols.

Hell, they could compete next year with the Brewers and Cards losing their best players.

I don't want either at the contracts they want. If Pujols takes a 6 year deal do it, but 10 is crazy at that money. And Fielder is a 4 or 5 year guy IMO.

Also, the talk of trading Garza is heating up. I say do it, see if you can't get some solid prospects back. Also if you can trade Byrd (though he may be a better deadline guy) Marmol, or Soto, do it.

Jackson can play now, Cashner can close (I don't see him as a starter with the injuries) and Castillo can catch. Get the prospects. As that article stated it will be much tougher to build through the draft now.

You don't trade Garza. He's a really good pitcher and he's only 28.

You don't trade Garza. He's a really good pitcher and he's only 28.

Why not trade him. he's a good pitcher but not great. He's a number 2 or 3. He has 2 years of arbitration before he hits the market and he will get 8 to 9 million each year, not that cheap, not bad but not cheap. If he can get you 3 or 4 good prospects you definitely trade him. Garza is a good piece, but if you can get a couple of pieces for him you do it.

Why not trade him. he's a good pitcher but not great. He's a number 2 or 3. He has 2 years of arbitration before he hits the market and he will get 8 to 9 million each year, not that cheap, not bad but not cheap. If he can get you 3 or 4 good prospects you definitely trade him. Garza is a good piece, but if you can get a couple of pieces for him you do it.

Because the Cubs need pitching badly and I don't see them getting anything in a trade that would be worth trading him.

Because the Cubs need pitching badly and I don't see them getting anything in a trade that would be worth trading him.

you don't? If he is so good why couldn't the cubs get some good caliber players for him? That doesn't make sense. Rumor is that Moreland (power hitting 1B) from the Rangers is a possibility. I think the Cubs could get several very good prospects for Garza.

you don't? If he is so good why couldn't the cubs get some good caliber players for him? That doesn't make sense. Rumor is that Moreland (power hitting 1B) from the Rangers is a possibility. I think the Cubs could get several very good prospects for Garza.

The Cubs need PITCHING. Garza is good, but he wouldn't get us much in the way of top pitching prospects. Maybe a solid stick that's major-league ready/proven, and a few good position prospects. But that's not what we need right now. Pitching is pure gold.

You would not get several very good prospects for Garza. He is a good player but you probably won't be getting anything that's beyond his talent level for him thus it's not a good idea to trade for him and Mitch Moreland is not a good player and that's playing in the ball park he plays in now.

You would not get several very good prospects for Garza. He is a good player but you probably won't be getting anything that's beyond his talent level for him thus it's not a good idea to trade for him and Mitch Moreland is not a good player and that's playing in the ball park he plays in now.

I think if Theo is shopping Garza, then he believes he can get something worthwhile for him. Teams overpay for pitching often. If doesn't get the deal he wants, then he won't trade him. Unlike last year, I trust the Cubs front office to do the right thing. I'm excited for the Winter Meetings (now that football is over for a little while) to see what direction the Cubs go.

I think if Theo is shopping Garza, then he believes he can get something worthwhile for him. Teams overpay for pitching often. If doesn't get the deal he wants, then he won't trade him. Unlike last year, I trust the Cubs front office to do the right thing. I'm excited for the Winter Meetings (now that football is over for a little while) to see what direction the Cubs go.

I agree. It is nice to have a competent front office.

If they throw big money with a long term deal at either of these players then I wonder why they got rid of Hendry in the first place.

Signing Pujols or Fielder would be nothing like anything Hendry did.

Really? Soriano, Zambrano ring a bell? You give Pujols or Fielder the number of years they want with the money they are demanding and it is exactly like what Hendry did. I thought Epstein was hired here to build the team by developing the farm system and finding players that fit Wrigley Field. Pujols might be a good fit today but will he still be productive 5 years from now? Putting a average to poor defensive player like Fielder on a team that is already bad defensively in the infield could be disastrous.

Really? Soriano, Zambrano ring a bell? You give Pujols or Fielder the number of years they want with the money they are demanding and it is exactly like what Hendry did. I thought Epstein was hired here to build the team by developing the farm system and finding players that fit Wrigley Field. Pujols might be a good fit today but will he still be productive 5 years from now? Putting a average to poor defensive player like Fielder on a team that is already bad defensively in the infield could be disastrous.
I agree if you give them the years they are looking for. However Pujols has produced for about 6 or 7 years now so that's a lot different than any player Hendry got. I honestly don't think they get either or want to, but are trying to make other teams spend more.

If the cubs offered Pujols 6 years, I'd be estatic.

I agree, I would take Pujols for 6 years in a heartbeat. But why would he come here for that when he has already turned down 230 million over 10 years with the Cardinals?

Buster Olney said on Mike and Mike he thinks there is no chance Pujols signs with the Cubs. He thinks Theo is messing with the other teams to make them sign him to an outragous contract that would come back to bite the other team in the arse.
He does think they will make a strong attempt at Prince though.

Anyways if the Ricketts say they can win now then that must mean they will do some damage in trades/free agents. If they wait for their farm system to develop talent then we might be waiting 100 more years.

Latest posts