Cub Offseason Moves/Rumors

It's nice that the Cubs are actually building toward the future. I'd much rather have a couple bad years and then be good for a long time instead of being mediocre every year with old players.

I'm torn. I really liked Cashner's potential as a closer. I don'tthink he'll ever stikc in the rotation. However, if this Rizzo is as good as they think, then i'm fine trading a possible closer for a potential every day 1B

Wow, they must be pretty high on Rizzo to give up pitching for him. Solid minor league stats but did not hit well last September.

The Cubs opening day roster may be marginally better than a AAA one.

Cubs sign Paul Maholm to 1 year deal with a club option. Looking more and more like Garza might be on the trade block sooner than later.

Theo is really trying to rid himself of everything that Hendry did. 2 #1 draft choices traded, Z, maybe Soriano, and if Garza (hendry's last big move) that'd be a big off season.

Cubs sign Paul Maholm to 1 year deal with a club option. Looking more and more like Garza might be on the trade block sooner than later.

Theo is really trying to rid himself of everything that Hendry did. 2 #1 draft choices traded, Z, maybe Soriano, and if Garza (hendry's last big move) that'd be a big off season.

I really hope if they are going to trade Garza they wait until late July to do it and get a king's ransom from someone in the pennant race. Of course that all is dependant upon Garza staying healthy and pitching well the first half of the year.

I really hope if they are going to trade Garza they wait until late July to do it and get a king's ransom from someone in the pennant race. Of course that all is dependant upon Garza staying healthy and pitching well the first half of the year.

I don't think that Theo will give away Garza. From what i have heard is that they are asking for 2 top tier prospects. The tigers are the team in hardest pursuit and the Cubs want their top starting prospect and start Porcello (14-9 last year). They were reportedly after the one of the yankees top 2 starting pitching prospects and the 1b prospect which would have been a great haul, but now they have Rizzo.

If the cubs deal Garza I think we will all be happy about the end result in the next few years.

If the Tigers want Garza they'll have to include Turner I believe.

If they do, he alone is enough to justify the trade in my mind.
Agreed. I think we see it happen honestly.

The cubs get a good prospect or 2. The tigers get a proven SP, who is young under control for 2 years and has long term potential. Good deal for both squads.

My guess is the Cubs don't feel comfortable trying to sign Garza long term, and the next 2 years may be a waste, so get what you can for him. Also, I don't think they want to sign a Big Z or Lackey when they can get prospects.

I've said it before, and I will say it again - Theo and Jed will not trade Garza unless they get exactly what they want in return. From Detroit, the asking price (per Kaplan) is supposedly 3 of the following 4 guys:

Jacob Turner - SP
Casey Crosby - SP
Drew Smyly - SP
Nick Castellanos - 3b

There is some thought the Tigers want to hold onto Smyly and Castellanos. If that is the case, then Porcello would have to be in the package w/ Turner, IMO.

In all honesty, I would have preferred a package involving Drabek and McGuire from the Blue Jays, but 3 of the above would be great as well.

If the Cubs don't trade him, I do believe the Cubs will extend Garza - similar to the contract Danks just signed. I think a lot of people are underestimating Theo's admiration for Garza. Before the Twins traded him to TB, Theo did have talks w/ Minny to try and get him to Boston. Garza is young enough to still fit into Theo's long term plan, but if they can get a haul of ++ prospects for him to replace what Hendry shipped away for him, then Theo has to listen and make the deal if he gets what he asks for.

I think it is also worth mentioning that Crosby has had 2 seasons lost due to arm injuries, so that is a bit scary there.

Have to like this deal: Cubs agree to $4.75M deal with Maholm - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

They did not spend a lot and hold an option for 2013. Lefties are known to blossom late and he is only 29 years old.

I really like this move. Like you said, it's cheap, and Maholm is better than his numbers suggest. Plus, it takes Pittsburgh's best pitcher away, and that's a team that wasn't a long ways off from being a division contender.

I was just reading about the Yankee's signing Kuroda and Pineda today and how it might drive up the asking price for Garza. Very curious to see what, if anything, comes of it.

Latest posts