Cub Offseason Moves/Rumors

I don't think Kuroda and Pineda greatly affect Garza now, in the short term anyway. There are still options out there in Edwin Jackson and Roy Oswalt. I think it is much more likely garza will not be dealt until the trade deadline, if at all. Basically, if the Cubs struggle in the first half it will be a showcase for Garza, as there will be a contender who will meet the price at that time.

It is about time they resigned Kerry Wood. Pretty cheap to spend $3 million on a set up guy that can still throw it in the mid 90s.

Tell me I am crazy but I wish they would give Kerry Wood another shot at starting. He still throws in the mid 90s and with an effective curve ball. I remember John Smoltz was 38 when they switched him back to a starter.

It is about time they resigned Kerry Wood. Pretty cheap to spend $3 million on a set up guy that can still throw it in the mid 90s.

Tell me I am crazy but I wish they would give Kerry Wood another shot at starting. He still throws in the mid 90s and with an effective curve ball. I remember John Smoltz was 38 when they switched him back to a starter.

You're crazy. he'd be done in 2 weeks. I think that is a reason that the cubs felt comfortable parting with Cashner. he was Woods part II. he was going to be a good bullpen guy, but not a starter.

Why would he be done in 2 weeks? Is the arm strength not there anymore? He is still throwing in the mid 90s.

Why would he be done in 2 weeks? Is the arm strength not there anymore? He is still throwing in the mid 90s.

he moved to the pen because his shoulder couldn't take the pounding of being a starter, and that was in mid to late 20's. What do you think would happen now?

That is to bad, his stuff seems better suited for a starter. He always got better break on his curve after pitching an inning or 2. It was fun to watch a hitters legs turn to jello when he threw that nasty curve after throwing a 95 mph fastball.

Not necessarily a "move", but interesting nonetheless:

143848720-14145520.gif

Couple tweets on this and more info:

Bruce Miles @BruceMiles2112 7m Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Patio deck coming to RF corner at Wrigley with 70 foot LED board with up to date stats. #Cubs

Carrie Muskat @CarrieMuskat 9m Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
#Cubs announce new patio deck in RF bleachers at Wrigley. Will add 70-foot LED board

Afterwards the Cubs announced a new party deck will be built above the far right field bleachers, a version of the Green Monster seats at Fenway Park, with a 70-feet LED board above the wall for stats. Groups can rent out the section and fans can purchase up to 150 tickets for group outings. The area has recently been sold as individual premier box seats.

The Cubs have announced the addition of the Budweiser Patio to the right field section of the Budweiser Bleachers for the 2012 season. The Budweiser Patio will include LED signage with the capability to display pertinent game information such as pitch count, player pictures and statistics. (January 14, 2012)

THAT'S UGLY

Not necessarily a "move", but interesting nonetheless:

143848720-14145520.gif

Couple tweets on this and more info:

Bruce Miles @BruceMiles2112 7m Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Patio deck coming to RF corner at Wrigley with 70 foot LED board with up to date stats. #Cubs

Carrie Muskat @CarrieMuskat 9m Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
#Cubs announce new patio deck in RF bleachers at Wrigley. Will add 70-foot LED board

Afterwards the Cubs announced a new party deck will be built above the far right field bleachers, a version of the Green Monster seats at Fenway Park, with a 70-feet LED board above the wall for stats. Groups can rent out the section and fans can purchase up to 150 tickets for group outings. The area has recently been sold as individual premier box seats.

The Cubs have announced the addition of the Budweiser Patio to the right field section of the Budweiser Bleachers for the 2012 season. The Budweiser Patio will include LED signage with the capability to display pertinent game information such as pitch count, player pictures and statistics. (January 14, 2012)

I just noticed something about that pic...are the fans in the lower left fishing for a home run ball out of the basket?

I don't so much mind how it looks, it'll be stuck in the far corner. I'm wondering how difficult it will be for people to navigate those steps after the game.

Cubs agreed to one year deals with six players:

Geovany Soto- $4,300,000
Jeff Baker- $1,375,000
Blake DeWitt- $1,100,000
Ian Stewart-$2,237,500
Chris Volstad- $2,655,000
Randy Wells- $2,705,000

Only leaves Garza left in arbitration.

not sure how I feel about these. They are some big risks. Especially Cespedes at the money he wants. Soler, I'm a little more optimistic about and would definitely like to see him sign with the cubs and develop. Cespedes will need time to adjust and I don't think he's a huge impact immediately which makes the money he wants a bit scary.

not sure how I feel about these. They are some big risks. Especially Cespedes at the money he wants. Soler, I'm a little more optimistic about and would definitely like to see him sign with the cubs and develop. Cespedes will need time to adjust and I don't think he's a huge impact immediately which makes the money he wants a bit scary.

Im in the same boat. I lost some enthusiasm when I read Hoyer compared him to Byrd. Dont get me wrong, Byrd is a solid player but he is not the type of guy I would want to see the Cubs spend 50-60 million on.

I dont know if he was just talking about body type when making the comparison or thats how his game translates.

Im in the same boat. I lost some enthusiasm when I read Hoyer compared him to Byrd. Dont get me wrong, Byrd is a solid player but he is not the type of guy I would want to see the Cubs spend 50-60 million on.

I dont know if he was just talking about body type when making the comparison or thats how his game translates.

He's 2-19 in his new league right now. granted its a small sample size, but for being a 5 tool player, I think he still has a lot of baseball IQ to develop.

He's 2-19 in his new league right now. granted its a small sample size, but for being a 5 tool player, I think he still has a lot of baseball IQ to develop.

It's also the first time he's played ball in a few months.

It's a little early to be nitpicking his numbers. It's not like he will go straight to Chicago. He will for sure get some AA and AAA seasoning.

Risks are going to have to be taken, and to me this would seem like one that could be worth it.

Cubs agreed to one year deals with six players:

Geovany Soto- $4,300,000
Jeff Baker- $1,375,000
Blake DeWitt- $1,100,000
Ian Stewart-$2,237,500
Chris Volstad- $2,655,000
Randy Wells- $2,705,000

Only leaves Garza left in arbitration.

I heard today on the Score that this might be due to the Cubs still trying to trade Garza but that their asking price is high.

Latest posts