Cub Offseason Moves/Rumors

What a great day, the Hawks win and Zambrano is gone!

Even if Volstad is a Randy Wells-ish 5th starter, this is addition by subtraction.

I think the Cubs have made it pretty apparent that they are not in the win now mode. So volstad gives you a cheap option and some depth for the rotation. I do think the Garza deal gets done for the cubbies and they get back a few good pitching prospects!

I think the Cubs have made it pretty apparent that they are not in the win now mode. So volstad gives you a cheap option and some depth for the rotation. I do think the Garza deal gets done for the cubbies and they get back a few good pitching prospects!

What Garza deal?

I agree with them not planning on winning next year but Garza can help the Cubs past next season and does not come at a premium price tag.

The way it is looking this appears to be the cheapest Cubs team to hit spring training in quite some time.

What Garza deal?

I agree with them not planning on winning next year but Garza can help the Cubs past next season and does not come at a premium price tag.

The way it is looking this appears to be the cheapest Cubs team to hit spring training in quite some time.

There are potential deals being looked at for Garza in return for a top SP prospect and other prospects. Garza is going to make between 8 and 9 million after arbitration this year and likely 10 next year before he hits FA. So the cubs can either trade him and get some prospects or keep him and sign him to a big extension. You just don't let him play for 2 years then leave. Those are the options, and since the cubs aren't going to win this year and likely not the next I say trade him.

Also, a side note is that if the Cubs don't get fielder, Votto comes to FA in 2 years. Just FYI.

Garza will not be dealt unless the Cubs get exactly what they want in return. They don't HAVE to trade Garza. The can extend him as he is still young enough to build a rotation around.

Some are saying the players the Cubs are getting back right now are potentially the type of players who can be used as trade bait at the deadline. Theo's got a strategy, no doubt.

Soriano will be traded next - he still has 5MM a year of value to an AL team where he can DH and stay healthy not having to play in the field.

Marlon Byrd will also be traded. He has one year left on his deal and is a steady everyday player.

Garza they are going to keep. Assuming they are out of it by July, they will be able to rob a team blind for his services at the deadline.

I believe this is your starting lineup.

DeJesus - RF
Barney - 2B
Castro - SS
LeHair - 1B
Soto - C
Jackson - LF
Campana - CF
Stewart - 3B

This isn't a great lineup built to win, but what it does, is tell Theo where they need the most help.

Soriano will be traded next - he still has 5MM a year of value to an AL team where he can DH and stay healthy not having to play in the field.

Marlon Byrd will also be traded. He has one year left on his deal and is a steady everyday player.

Garza they are going to keep. Assuming they are out of it by July, they will be able to rob a team blind for his services at the deadline.

I believe this is your starting lineup.

DeJesus - RF
Barney - 2B
Castro - SS
LeHair - 1B
Soto - C
Jackson - LF
Campana - CF
Stewart - 3B

This isn't a great lineup built to win, but what it does, is tell Theo where they need the most help.

That isn't pretty. I still think that something gets done before the season starts to get a quality guy, maybe it's Prince, maybe not. Maybe nothing gets done and I'm fine with that.

Like you said I think Garza won't get traded right now due to the asking price but come July 31 someone that needs help wil pay the price.

I think Byrd is with the Cubs at least until the trade deadline. I don't think they are ready to bring Jackson up yet, and I believe they want him at CF. Byrd isn't getting moved until the deadline, and not sure what kind of value he'll bring back.

What a great day, the Hawks win and Zambrano is gone!

Even if Volstad is a Randy Wells-ish 5th starter, this is addition by subtraction.

If Volstad can be anywhere close to as good as Randy Wells, I will be shocked. Volstad could be the worst guy to hold a rotation spot for 3-4 consecutive years that I have ever seen.

Or maybe I'm just jaded as I've made the mistake of adding him to my fantasy team once or twice....could be clouding my judgement...

If Volstad can be anywhere close to as good as Randy Wells, I will be shocked. Volstad could be the worst guy to hold a rotation spot for 3-4 consecutive years that I have ever seen.

As good as Randy Wells?

I guess I'm not as excited about Wells as some others seem to be.. He had a really nice rookie season, but he has progressively worsened since then. 4.26 ERA in 2010, 4.99 in 2011.

Volstad was 4.58 and 4.89 those same years. Maybe Wells will turn it around and prove me wrong, but at this point I'd say Wells & Volstad appear to be pretty comparable.

Keep in mind Volstad has been pitching in Miami, that ERA could inflate once he starts pitching in Wrigley Field. Also once Wells got healthy he was pretty effective down the stretch. But we will see.

I cannot see Byrd getting traded unless they got some good prospects in return. Epstein has been known to bring in players in their final year of their contract just to get the compensation draft pick when they sign else where. They will not be in a big hurry to trade Garza either. He could be a legit top of the rotation type of pitcher and after this season still has 1 more year of arbitration. If he has a really strong season this year I could see them offering an extended contract. I am sure they have a pretty high asking price if they trade him.

I just do not see them doing anything with Fielder other than driving up the price for other teams.

Cubs send Andrew Cashner and OF Kyung-Min Na to SD for 1B Anthony Rizzo and RHP Zach Cates.

Great move, IMO. Got their 1B of the future for Cashner.

I like Cashner, just wasn't as high as some other people are. His shoulder scares me, and I don't think he'll ever be a starting pitcher. He *could* develop into a great setup guy or closer, but with him being out all last year due to a shoulder injury this is, in my mind, definitely a risk worth taking.

Rizzo is young, cheap, and by all accounts has the makeup to be a stud at 1b, both offensively and defensively.

Cubs send Andrew Cashner and OF Kyung-Min Na to SD for 1B Anthony Rizzo and RHP Zach Cates.

Great move, IMO. Got their 1B of the future for Cashner.

I like Cashner, just wasn't as high as some other people are. His shoulder scares me, and I don't think he'll ever be a starting pitcher. He *could* develop into a great setup guy or closer, but with him being out all last year due to a shoulder injury this is, in my mind, definitely a risk worth taking.

Rizzo is young, cheap, and by all accounts has the makeup to be a stud at 1b, both offensively and defensively.

Chicago Cubs acquire 1B Anthony Rizzo from San Diego Padres for Andrew Cashner - ESPN Chicago

Latest posts