Cub Offseason Moves/Rumors

It's also the first time he's played ball in a few months.

It's a little early to be nitpicking his numbers. It's not like he will go straight to Chicago. He will for sure get some AA and AAA seasoning.

Risks are going to have to be taken, and to me this would seem like one that could be worth it.

I know those numbers don't mean much, but I'm just putting them out there, especially since it is not MLB caliber competition.

However, he might spend about 100 ABs in AAA, but he's expected to be MLB ready, and to spend that money on a kid who is going to spend significant time in the minors is my issue.

As much as he's a 5 tool player who's MLB ready, there are still a lot of ifs.

Not saying it's a bad investment, but not 100% sold on it.

Carlos Pena signed with Tampa Bay and since the Cubs offered him arbitration they will get a sandwich pick between the 1st and 2nd round in this summers draft.

This is the kind of stuff Theo is known for.

I love what Theo is doing. If hendry was still GM we would still have Z, Marshall, and Cashner and signed Fielder to a 10 year 200+ million dollar contract. We would also hav likely bid up Yu Darvish or C.J. Wilson to end up in near last place again in the central, but have a horrible farm system still and no flexibility for FAs the next 6 years.

Carlos Pena signed with Tampa Bay and since the Cubs offered him arbitration they will get a sandwich pick between the 1st and 2nd round in this summers draft.

This is the kind of stuff Theo is known for.

Who will be the cubs 1st baseman next year now that Pena is gone? Personally, i think Casey Kotchman would be a good choice. He hits .300, is a gold glove quality fielder ,and he comes cheap. He was excellent with Tampa Bay last year, a frankly i think the rays were dumb to get rid of him and get Pena back.

It sounds like LaHair will get a shot at 1B. I'm glad he's going to get a shot; the guy can hit.

Who will be the cubs 1st baseman next year now that Pena is gone? Personally, i think Casey Kotchman would be a good choice. He hits .300, is a gold glove quality fielder ,and he comes cheap. He was excellent with Tampa Bay last year, a frankly i think the rays were dumb to get rid of him and get Pena back.

Pena could have been back but he declined arbitration. Boras really screwed this up for Pena as he would have been awarded at least 9 million had he accepted arbitration and he wanted to come back to Chicago. But the upside is the Cubs get an extra draft pick and now they get to see if LaHair has what it takes to hit at the big league level. He tore up AAA last year, he is not as good defensively as Pena but is every bit as good of a hitter. The Cubs are rebuilding anyway so let's see what he's got.

Side note, yankees give up Montero and their top SP prospect and several others for Pineda but wouldn't give up either for Garza, that's troubling. Must've been more to the deal.

Side note, yankees give up Montero and their top SP prospect and several others for Pineda but wouldn't give up either for Garza, that's troubling. Must've been more to the deal.

Yeah that's a little troubling. Pineda is several years younger than Garza though isn't he? I also envision Garza giving up lots of home runs in Yankee Stadium.

Yeah that's a little troubling. Pineda is several years younger than Garza though isn't he? I also envision Garza giving up lots of home runs in Yankee Stadium.
Pineda is younger and more of a power arm. But the mariners got 2 prospects that the cubs even couldn't get one of for garza. I think Garza gets traded because I don't think he wants to be a cub long term.

The reason no Garza deal was completed was because Theo and company was asking for Montero packaged with either Manny Banuelos (LHP) or Dellin Betances (RHP). Those are the top three Yankees prospects. So, they wanted two of the top three prospects in the system. The Yankees shopped elsewhere and got Pineda who isn't arbitration eligible until 2014. It had nothing to do with wanting Pineda more, it was that they could get a talented arm for less, thus getting Pineda and keeping their two best pitching prospects.

Yeah I think the Yankees got a better deal elsewhere, and I am completely fine with this. The Cubs should not be any hurry to trade Garza as his value will only go up the closer they get to the trade deadline, unless he gets hurt. If they do not get what they are looking for then sign him long term and build the staff around him.

The reason no Garza deal was completed was because Theo and company was asking for Montero packaged with either Manny Banuelos (LHP) or Dellin Betances (RHP). Those are the top three Yankees prospects. So, they wanted two of the top three prospects in the system. The Yankees shopped elsewhere and got Pineda who isn't arbitration eligible until 2014. It had nothing to do with wanting Pineda more, it was that they could get a talented arm for less, thus getting Pineda and keeping their two best pitching prospects.

I thought one of the pitchers got sent with Montero to mariners, but i must have read it wrong. I like Garza, but I just don't think he wants to be a cub unfortunately, and thankfully Theo is much more understanding of player value than Hendry ever was.

I just don't think he wants to be a cub unfortunately.

Wha?

What leads you to believe this? Because of his arbitration number?

Last year, Garza was one of the most vocal cheerleaders during the game in the dugout. The broadcast would routinely cut to him in the dugout and he was always at the rail, encouraging teammates. He's done nothing since coming to the North Side to suggest he doesn't want to be a Cub.

I know it's your opinion, but c'mon - how can you possibly know if he wants to be a Cub or not when most of the evidence out there suggests otherwise.

Garza is competitive and I think that is why he was very vocal. Also, I think he has seen the movement to youth the cubs are making and to me the arbitration number is something to consider. I think he will want a long term deal, and as much as he says it, I don't think the trade rumors set well with him.

Latest posts