Cub Offseason Moves/Rumors

I don't see a lot of movement in the market for a team with the holes this one has. I worry this ownership is not as deep a pocket as they were before the market tanked in 2008. This rebuilding project looks like it will at best be a long term proposition.

thank god that ship has finally sailed. super nice guy, good teammate, hell of a comeback after sawing off his fingers...but hes just not good. we have 3 guys on the farm that would be instant upgrades.

Cubs will have a new backup catcher next year as they did not tender Koyie Hill.

Good, Hill was a waste of a roster spot. I am fine with either Clevenger or Castillo backing up Soto, no way either of them hit or defend any worse than Hill.

Marshall is a FA after the season and would be highly sought after as a reliever. Wood is cheap and shown promise in the starting role. I'm not saying I'm in love with the move cause I like Marshall, but I can see what Theo is trying to do.

hmmm, i love marshall but we need SP's

Marshall is a FA after the season and would be highly sought after as a reliever. Wood is cheap and shown promise in the starting role. I'm not saying I'm in love with the move cause I like Marshall, but I can see what Theo is trying to do.

You don't keep good relievers on bad teams when they have this much value and they are due to get a big raise. Marmol needs to be traded as well.

agreed on all accounts. my guess is it may be more of a trade deadline kind of deal

Agreed. Also, just because you should trade Marshall doesn't mean the Cubs should give him away. I'm hoping at least one of the prospects is a quality prospect because Travis Wood doesn't excite me any.

Agreed. Also, just because you should trade Marshall doesn't mean the Cubs should give him away. I'm hoping at least one of the prospects is a quality prospect because Travis Wood doesn't excite me any.

This. I also agree that Marmol should be traded. Even elite closers have no real value on the roster for teams in our position. And Marmol isn't an elite closer. But he DOES have serious value to other teams.

I think Marmol's value is high. If you think of someone like the Yankees who need a good setup man/ inherent to Rivera, they may give up some prospects.

Marmol's stuff is so nasty people would love to have him. he was an all star 2 years ago. His value is high to the right team.

I think Marmol's value is high. If you think of someone like the Yankees who need a good setup man/ inherent to Rivera, they may give up some prospects.

Marmol's stuff is so nasty people would love to have him. he was an all star 2 years ago. His value is high to the right team.

his velocity was way off last year, and his mechanics are not exactly conducive to long-term health. also, his slider gets crushed when his arm angle gets out of whack (for him)

Winning all starts with starting pitching IMO, so I'm ok with trading Marshall & Marmol. Relievers don't have much value on teams that are always behind when you get to the 6th or 7th inning. Especially middle-relief guys, which seem to be a dime a dozen. But I don't want to see Marshall traded for a bunch of spare parts, either, just for the sake of making a trade. If they are solid prospects, I'd say go for it.

I say get back to the point where you have a good team and are challenging for the playoffs, then maybe worry about finding a solid closer.

There is some scuttle about Billy Hamilton being one of the prospects. This might work out, as he could be projected as a future second baseman/lead off. Apparently his defense wasn't so hot at short, but if Castro locks that spot up, Hamilton could play 2nd where he played some in minor league ball. Speedy guy...make the divisional rival pay I say.

Here's an article on Hamilton:

Cincinnati Reds: Billy Hamilton, Reds Future SS or Outfielder? | Bleacher Report

According to David Kaplan, the Cubs are open for business on pretty much everyone but Castro. He also claims they are not in on Prince Fielder. This contradicts what many sources have been saying for the last couple of weeks. It could be that the Cubs were trying to drive up the market, or that Prince simply once too many years and will not back down.

Wow, getting a lefty for a lefty and a prospect that stole 100 bases in the minors last year.

Another tidbit, Reed Johnson was resigned for another year. A good move for a productive backup outfielder.

Latest posts