could there be more ads on this site

The software essentially disables all flash content and some other stuff so the ads become not-visible. A lot of people aren't aware of the plug-ins or how to use them or what Firefox is or whatever so it's just as easy for them to pay not to see them than to make any 'scary computer changes'. I generally use Firefox and AdBlock but I will try to make it a point to disable it for HawkeyeNation.

That is thoughtful and kind of you, and I greatly appreciate the sentiment.

Looks as if some individuals may have an early lead on receiving the free bowl trip haha just kidding.

I'm not trying to take money out of JDM's pocket by disabling the ads. I just would rather not see them. I just disabled Adblock and refreshed to see what ads were here, and confirmed my suspicions that I don't need to see them.

Ankeney Sanitation, an Internet Marketing firm, Third Base (haven't been in there since I was about 17), and performance supplements. Not really targeted towards me, but I understand why they're there and that they do support this free site. Since this is modeled after cyclonefanatic.com, have you thought about setting up a "Donation" feature like they have, and handing out those fancy "Donor" plaques that go under people's usernames? I'd definitely be willing to donate to keep a site like this free.

LOL..thanks for the kind words...but that is not the plan. I have put the onus unto myself to go scratch out a living at this. I just want for Iowa fans to stop by a few times per day if they feel there is a compelling reason to do so...and that is up to me as well to create that....and we will be introducing ways for the fans to be very, very involved with this site. It's going to be a blast watching it grow into what I think it could become.

We all know your not trying to make a living it would be pretty hard but not impossible! get back to me on the email i sent you about the wallpapers. also good work on sound off promoting the site!

So far I don't mind the ads. I think they are well placed and don't interfere with the real content of the site. If I start to see those damn things moving across my screen when I am trying to read a post, then I'll change my tune. I absolutely HATE chasing those things down and trying to find the check box just to get if off my screen. Please don't go there Jon.

I guess I like seeing the ads! Who knows? I might actually buy something from one of these companies. Plus the more ads I see the more successful I know Jon is and the better this site will become. Jon's an ultimate Hawkeye and we need him to be successful to carry the good word!

I could care less....i didnt even notice the ads until you mentioned it. I love the opportunity to have a complete free Hawkeye site. Keep up the good work Jon!

I want the old site back.....anyone else?

Then go back and don't let the proverbial door hit you in the backside while leaving. Advertisers pay for this site and that's why everything is free to us as fans. Good Lord, Jon works his butt off to get this thing going and you ***** about it?

Let's see, Iowa is 7-0 and we now have a free site that gives us, as fans, lots of info, yet some people still complain.

Let's keep it positive people as long as we can. This is a great ride to be on. Don't miss it. What we are seeing at the current time doesn't happen often to many teams or universities.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to take money out of JDM's pocket by disabling the ads. I just would rather not see them. I just disabled Adblock and refreshed to see what ads were here, and confirmed my suspicions that I don't need to see them.

Ankeney Sanitation, an Internet Marketing firm, Third Base (haven't been in there since I was about 17), and performance supplements. Not really targeted towards me, but I understand why they're there and that they do support this free site. Since this is modeled after cyclonefanatic.com, have you thought about setting up a "Donation" feature like they have, and handing out those fancy "Donor" plaques that go under people's usernames? I'd definitely be willing to donate to keep a site like this free.

The ads are going to become more and more local

Thank you for doing this, Jon. The ads don't bother me and are fine. I understand the dynamics and importance of adverts for a free site. You are doing a good thing and we appreciate it!

Jon,
I appreciate you giving us the new and improved Hawkeyenation.com. It is a great site. I too have disabled Ad Blocker for hawkeyenation

Jon,
I appreciate you giving us the new and improved Hawkeyenation.com. It is a great site. I too have disabled Ad Blocker for hawkeyenation

That really means a lot to me that folks like you that have adblocker would turn it off for this site. A great deal.

To paraphrase advice I once heard Dan Gable give. . . You should try new things for at least 30 days, and if you still dont like it, then, and only then, should you give it up. Until 30 days are up don't even try to evaluate it.

Jon, are you going to have a suggestion thread?

There is a band I like and I frequent their message board. You can choose between 2
colors for the screen in your options. The board has what they call sub-silver (which looks like this board) or black. They have taken polls before on that board and black always wins by 80-90%.

Here is a link to look @ black screen:

http://www.jayfarrar.net/board/index.htm

It would be unique to have the option of black screen (w/yellow & white text)

I have talked with people in the industry about black before...and eye fatigue is an issue that always comes up. I always wanted gold on black...but after a while, I think it is tough. We are looking at different options here. SUggestions are always welcome

I have talked with people in the industry about black before...and eye fatigue is an issue that always comes up. I always wanted gold on black...but after a while, I think it is tough. We are looking at different options here. SUggestions are always welcome

I used to be on that music mes. board all the time and I and the majority of the posters (when the issue came up as a thread topic) thought just the opposite was true. On that board the color was an easily changeable option. I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement from your end though. Black was used by 90% of posters everytime there was a thread vote.

Anyway, COOL site and we all know it's a work in progress.

I turned off ABP for this site too. The ads here aren't bad at all... I don't see what the fuss is about, especially if they help make the site free.

I know the default color for most CAD programs is black. I personally don't like it but the reasoning for it is because it is easier on the eyes than the bright white background.

Latest posts