could there be more ads on this site

Feel free to make fun of me guys....but I really don't like the new site...to the point where I doubt that I'll be back or renew my subcription to hawkeyenation. I understand the cost of doing business...I'd rather pay to be on the site than see all this garbage...is there an option for this?

Yes there's an option for this..."leave"...

thank you...sorry to bother everyone...I'll go back to HN...sorry guys!

You are on hawkeyenation.com. The site u want to go back to is Iowa.scout.com. Rob is a good guy and we remain close friends. People find certain things they like about message boards and choose to visit those. Some choose to just stay put. That's fine; different strokes for different folks. In the end I think that Iowa fans have the best collection of message board communities on the world wide web. The reason for that is obvious; Iowa has the most passionate fans in the world. Take care

Feel free to make fun of me guys....but I really don't like the new site...to the point where I doubt that I'll be back or renew my subcription to hawkeyenation. I understand the cost of doing business...I'd rather pay to be on the site than see all this garbage...is there an option for this?

Not really making fun of you, well ok yes I was. But I really don't even notice the ads and have had zero problems getting on the site. Other than the layout and a few features that don't work yet, i.e. emoticons, I don't see much of a difference.

Gotta give it time lovehawkeyes...I've been on a few boards and found that once you get comfortable with one it feels like "home" then when you go to a new one, it's like a totally different bizarro world...but once you get used to it, it's still home...especially when the faces are the same. Give this place a chance, it'll grown on you...I promise.

Should I stay or should I go now?
Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go there will be trouble
An if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know

Should I stay or should I go?

Gotta give it time lovehawkeyes...I've been on a few boards and found that once you get comfortable with one it feels like "home" then when you go to a new one, it's like a totally different bizarro world...but once you get used to it, it's still home...especially when the faces are the same. Give this place a chance, it'll grown on you...I promise.

I was going to say the same thing. Once you get used to a site, it's always a little difficult adjusting to a new one. However, it won't take long and you'll have another addiction to add to your portfolio.

thank you...sorry to bother everyone...I'll go back to HN...sorry guys!

This is an awesome site.....showed it to graphic designer who said that the layout and content are much more conducive to the New Media IN TODAY'S DIGITAL AGE.

In other words, if you don't like it.......get out!

he can get rid of the ads if you put a healthy donation in i am sure. the content is top notch! do you realize the time it takes to put together a site like this and make sure 90% of the people are happy at all times. he could still have the ads and charge a subscribtion and i would pay!

he could still have the ads and charge a subscribtion and i would pay!

LOL..thanks for the kind words...but that is not the plan. I have put the onus unto myself to go scratch out a living at this. I just want for Iowa fans to stop by a few times per day if they feel there is a compelling reason to do so...and that is up to me as well to create that....and we will be introducing ways for the fans to be very, very involved with this site. It's going to be a blast watching it grow into what I think it could become.

I understand about the ads, but you couldn't pay me to go to Third Base. Went once, thought the owners were not the nicest. I'd rather pay for a membership.

Couple of questions for Jon...

1. Do plug-ins such as AdBlock+ for Firefox have any financial repercussions for you?

2. Have you considered creating an option for people to pay a 'fee' to remove the ads? A TON of sites these days provide that option for the people who would rather not deal with ads.

LOL..thanks for the kind words...but that is not the plan. I have put the onus unto myself to go scratch out a living at this. I just want for Iowa fans to stop by a few times per day if they feel there is a compelling reason to do so...and that is up to me as well to create that....and we will be introducing ways for the fans to be very, very involved with this site. It's going to be a blast watching it grow into what I think it could become.
I'm a loyalist Jon, you've got me... this is what I'd tell Rob...
Chucky: I thought we were friends till the end...
Kid: This is the end... friend.

I can't say the ads really bother me. I will come here and go to HawkeyeInsider where I am a paying customer for about nine more months. At that time I will decide if I need to re-up over there or if I can get my fix from the two free sites. It is nice to have options!!!

use mozilla firefox and add the "Adblock plus" addon and you will not see any adds, and if you do just right click on them and add them to your filter.

Couple of questions for Jon...

1. Do plug-ins such as AdBlock+ for Firefox have any financial repercussions for you? JDM: Yes it could. It would mean you would that you would not have an opportunity to see something that interests you enough to check it out, and people may choose to not advertise with us.

2. Have you considered creating an option for people to pay a 'fee' to remove the ads? A TON of sites these days provide that option for the people who would rather not deal with ads. JDM: I have not considered that. However, if there is software that allows people to get rid of ads for free, my guess is most people that want to go that route and pay the fee...now, if we can create a way to block that software, you might be on to something ;)

The software essentially disables all flash content and some other stuff so the ads become not-visible. A lot of people aren't aware of the plug-ins or how to use them or what Firefox is or whatever so it's just as easy for them to pay not to see them than to make any 'scary computer changes'. I generally use Firefox and AdBlock but I will try to make it a point to disable it for HawkeyeNation.