Connor Mac wows in the defense free all star game!

“People kind of look at you funny occasionally. They might have a different opinion of you,” he said. “Everyone wants to have an opinion, and I think that’s probably a little frustrating. For me, I might be on a higher stage, in terms of my social status and all that, because of who my dad is. That helps me, yeah. There are great things that come from that.

"But I think it hurts me, too. Everybody wants to see me, so they can say what they think. Make a judgement on me. Everyone is quick to judge.”

Smart kid. This board certainly is evidence of that.

LINK
....yeah, because this board doesn't judge EVERY recruit, no matter who their dad is. Nope. Never happens. Just picking on the poor little ol' coaches son.

....yeah, because this board doesn't judge EVERY recruit, no matter who their dad is. Nope. Never happens. Just picking on the poor little ol' coaches son.

247 has him as a 4 star player (on their composite ranking), number one in Iowa and 111th rated player in the nation. Since most of the vocal people (myself included) hold some stock in rankings, those are pretty decent. If his name was Connor Jones, most people wouldn't be as critical of the kid.

His future will be bright in several sports...the future stands before him...I only hope Kirk doesn't offer to take him under his wing and develop him as a QB...where talent goes to die.

247 has him as a 4 star player (on their composite ranking), number one in Iowa and 111th rated player in the nation. Since most of the vocal people (myself included) hold some stock in rankings, those are pretty decent. If his name was Connor Jones, most people wouldn't be as critical of the kid.
I wasn't being critical of the kid. I was being critical of Rob pretending like Conner gets picked on more than other recruits because he's the coach's son.

I wasn't being critical of the kid. I was being critical of Rob pretending like Conner gets picked on more than other recruits because he's the coach's son.

Well.... like my post says.... in any other sport we would be pumped if someone that has those ratings chose Iowa. But people are treating him like he's a scrub. What's the reason?

You really don't see that the basketball playing kid of a D1 power 5 school coach, playing in the state that his father coaches the largest basketball program would get more attention and scrutiny than your average kid? C'mon man.

You really don't see that the basketball playing kid of a D1 power 5 school coach, playing in the state that his father coaches the largest basketball program would get more attention and scrutiny than your average kid? C'mon man.

It is easy to see really. Not only Hawk fans, but you can guarantee that he will hear it from the opponents for 4 years while at Iowa.

He's a 4 star on several sites - top 150 kid - started out in ESPN's top 25 recruits in the country - and people on here and on other Hawk sites act like he's not really good enough to probably play at Iowa unless it wasn't for his dad. So, that also helps justify the thought that Dad should just pick up the check for school because, well, hell, he makes a lot of money so why not right?

If it were any other player that was a 4 star top 150 kid people would be salivating over him.

Narratives on CMac before he plays a second of Iowa basketball

Already too slow - and really white
not good enough to play either guard position in the B1G
A WAY better baseball player - who knows if he'll even play hoops am I right?

He's a 4 star on several sites - top 150 kid - started out in ESPN's top 25 recruits in the country - and people on here and on other Hawk sites act like he's not really good enough to probably play at Iowa unless it wasn't for his dad. So, that also helps justify the thought that Dad should just pick up the check for school because, well, hell, he makes a lot of money so why not right?

If it were any other player that was a 4 star top 150 kid people would be salivating over him.

Narratives on CMac before he plays a second of Iowa basketball

Already too slow - and really white
not good enough to play either guard position in the B1G
A WAY better baseball player - who knows if he'll even play hoops am I right?

The question is would he play P5 basketball if he weren't FMs son? Legit question. But, don't jump to conclusions.

Former Iowa basketball player Randy Norton's son plays for UAB (about the only white kid on the team). He's undersized (5-10) and plays point guard. He is quick and had a torn knee ligament in high school. RN is the women's coach at UAB and had an inside advantage. He was recruited by Creighton (first signed) and Mizzou where his dad was an assistant). All he did was become Conf USA freshman of the year. He was the starting pt guard on 2 NCAA teams. His jr year he tore his knee again.

What does this kid bring to the table? He is quick. He's not tall enough. He's white on an all black team. He grew up in gyms and around basketball as much as any kid.

CM probably doesn't deserve a 4 star rating. Not even sure about a 3 on his own. What he likely brings is an incredible savvy sense of basketball because of his dad and being around his dad. I'm not particularly even high on his fundamentals. He does not lack in savvy.

He will be a target from opponent fans. I'm sure he can handle it. Not sure about his mom though.

No, the board doesn't judge every recruit the same. Look at the football board and the criticism of Dillon Doyle.

There's more than one thread about Connor on this board. Where are the threads about ALL the other recruits on the football and basketball boards? Is there one on EVERY recruit?

If you don't think the coaches' kids are under more scrutiny than many of the other recruits, you're naive, blind or both.

The question is would he play P5 basketball if he weren't FMs son? Legit question. But, don't jump to conclusions.

Former Iowa basketball player Randy Norton's son plays for UAB (about the only white kid on the team). He's undersized (5-10) and plays point guard. He is quick and had a torn knee ligament in high school. RN is the women's coach at UAB and had an inside advantage. He was recruited by Creighton (first signed) and Mizzou where his dad was an assistant). All he did was become Conf USA freshman of the year. He was the starting pt guard on 2 NCAA teams. His jr year he tore his knee again.

What does this kid bring to the table? He is quick. He's not tall enough. He's white on an all black team. He grew up in gyms and around basketball as much as any kid.

CM probably doesn't deserve a 4 star rating. Not even sure about a 3 on his own. What he likely brings is an incredible savvy sense of basketball because of his dad and being around his dad. I'm not particularly even high on his fundamentals. He does not lack in savvy.

He will be a target from opponent fans. I'm sure he can handle it. Not sure about his mom though.

Why doesn't he deserve a 4 star? He started out in ESPN's top 25 recruits in his class. Are you saying he's only a 4 star because of his name? And he wouldn't even warrant a 3 without it? That can't be the case and I find it unbelievable and I would like someone who follows recruiting closer to confirm this.

Why doesn't he deserve a 4 star? He started out in ESPN's top 25 recruits in his class. Are you saying he's only a 4 star because of his name? And he wouldn't even warrant a 3 without it? That can't be the case and I find it unbelievable and I would like someone who follows recruiting closer to confirm this.

Not exactly. I think he's a 4 star because of his savvy which largely comes from who his dad is. When you grow up as a Big coach's kid, you get perks. Not talking about exposure to your name necessarily (though that is a factor) but the exposure the kid gets to players, practices, insights and so on. He'll come in with less intimidation than most kids would for a variety of reasons. I imagine he's shot quite a few shots at Carver...maybe other venues. He'll come in as a soph or even jr emotionally and in game intelligence.

If this were true, Michael Jordan's sons would have been much higher rated coming out of high school.

Calipari has a son, so if McCaffery's son is a 4 star, shouldn't Calipari's have been a 5 star. Nope, Brad Calipari was a 2 star recruit.

Alford coaches at high profile UCLA and Steve was an all-American yet Bryce was only a 3 star.

Not exactly. I think he's a 4 star because of his savvy which largely comes from who his dad is. When you grow up as a Big coach's kid, you get perks. Not talking about exposure to your name necessarily (though that is a factor) but the exposure the kid gets to players, practices, insights and so on. He'll come in with less intimidation than most kids would for a variety of reasons. I imagine he's shot quite a few shots at Carver...maybe other venues. He'll come in as a soph or even jr emotionally and in game intelligence.

I see you are being your typical know it all self, all while being completely clueless.

So

well, I won't beat ya up as much as everyone else because I get what you are saying here - he's a 4 star because he comes from an athletic family, is a coaches son and born with a basketball in his hand. That's the case with a TON of players. I was under the impression you were indicating that his ranking was due solely on that reason which is really how it read.

So

well, I won't beat ya up as much as everyone else because I get what you are saying here - he's a 4 star because he comes from an athletic family, is a coaches son and born with a basketball in his hand. That's the case with a TON of players. I was under the impression you were indicating that his ranking was due solely on that reason which is really how it read.

No problem. He also isn't going to be in awe of big arenas either. I would guess he's shot hoops in most Big arenas already.

He's white, is the coach's son, didn't average 30 points a game, doesn't have overwhelming physical skills. Therefore, he must be over-rated.

I think he's going to be a pretty decent player at Iowa. Not a star, but pretty decent.

Latest posts