Connor Mac wows in the defense free all star game!

The question is would he play P5 basketball if he weren't FMs son? Legit question. But, don't jump to conclusions.

Former Iowa basketball player Randy Norton's son plays for UAB (about the only white kid on the team). He's undersized (5-10) and plays point guard. He is quick and had a torn knee ligament in high school. RN is the women's coach at UAB and had an inside advantage. He was recruited by Creighton (first signed) and Mizzou where his dad was an assistant). All he did was become Conf USA freshman of the year. He was the starting pt guard on 2 NCAA teams. His jr year he tore his knee again.

What does this kid bring to the table? He is quick. He's not tall enough. He's white on an all black team. He grew up in gyms and around basketball as much as any kid.

CM probably doesn't deserve a 4 star rating. Not even sure about a 3 on his own. What he likely brings is an incredible savvy sense of basketball because of his dad and being around his dad. I'm not particularly even high on his fundamentals. He does not lack in savvy.

He will be a target from opponent fans. I'm sure he can handle it. Not sure about his mom though.

CM probably doesn't deserve a 4 star rating.

Please provide us with detailed, accurate, no-fail ratings for all of the "top 300". Please place the appropriate star next to each. We're terribly anxious and know none of it is valid without your expertise.

He's a 4 star on several sites - top 150 kid - started out in ESPN's top 25 recruits in the country - and people on here and on other Hawk sites act like he's not really good enough to probably play at Iowa unless it wasn't for his dad. So, that also helps justify the thought that Dad should just pick up the check for school because, well, hell, he makes a lot of money so why not right?

If it were any other player that was a 4 star top 150 kid people would be salivating over him.

Narratives on CMac before he plays a second of Iowa basketball

Already too slow - and really white
not good enough to play either guard position in the B1G
A WAY better baseball player - who knows if he'll even play hoops am I right?

I've written that Connor may not play hoops which seems an entirely reasonable premise given the circumstances. Fran himself has said that Connor wants to play major league baseball and he has some gaudy stats and it appears he has excelled in the game since a young age. That takes nothing away from him as a basketball player and I think he looks like a good prospect at a position of need.

This kid looks like a natural athlete who has the intelligence, drive and ability to succede in whatever sport or sports he pursues. Connor will follow his path without worrying about what we as fans think and his public comments suggest he has maturity and independent mindedness beyond his years.

CM probably doesn't deserve a 4 star rating.

Please provide us with detailed, accurate, no-fail ratings for all of the "top 300". Please place the appropriate star next to each. We're terribly anxious and know none of it is valid without your expertise.

Thx for the vote of confidence. If I did that it would be fee based.

Those rankings are wrong way more often then right when it comes to the middle of it all aren't they? They usually have the top 20ish kids pegged due to how obvious it is. But kinda like in football where it's next to impossible to differentiate between the 34th best left tackle and the 49th one. It's kinda the same here. Conner looks like he'll be a ball handling facilitator more so then a scorer at the next level. He seems like a left handed and a little bigger version of Jeff Horner to me. I don't think he'll be the most athletic guy out there but he'll play smart and hit open shots when he has them. But mostly he'll be helping run the offense to setup others. How those that choose to put a rating on that type of player is up to them. Part of what'll make him look good will be how his teammates play around him....

No, the board doesn't judge every recruit the same. Look at the football board and the criticism of Dillon Doyle.

There's more than one thread about Connor on this board. Where are the threads about ALL the other recruits on the football and basketball boards? Is there one on EVERY recruit?

If you don't think the coaches' kids are under more scrutiny than many of the other recruits, you're naive, blind or both.
Brady Ellingsen was judged very harshly on this board and others, once he committed. Which coach is his dad? Or maybe people see what certain players have for skill sets, openly question how they'll help elevate the program and that's what causes the high level of scrutiny?

You really don't see that the basketball playing kid of a D1 power 5 school coach, playing in the state that his father coaches the largest basketball program would get more attention and scrutiny than your average kid? C'mon man.
I think it seems that way because of how early he committed and how long it's been known that he would play for Iowa. Look at how much scrutiny Bohannon, Ellingsen and some other recruits have received in short times, due to how long they were committed/offered. Imagine if Brady Ellingsen had been committed to Iowa since his 9th grade year?
Look at Weiskamp. If you cut his production in half, how do you think the threads about him would be different? He's living up to his hype considerably more so than Conner has and that's the difference in how the 2 are treated.

Brady Ellingsen was judged very harshly on this board and others, once he committed. Which coach is his dad? Or maybe people see what certain players have for skill sets, openly question how they'll help elevate the program and that's what causes the high level of scrutiny?

Brady wasn't a 4 star.

He's white, is the coach's son, didn't average 30 points a game, doesn't have overwhelming physical skills. Therefore, he must be over-rated.

I think he's going to be a pretty decent player at Iowa. Not a star, but pretty decent.

I find this interesting.

You posit a fictional attack on the kid from "haters" and then say he won't be a star. Which would seem to lend credence to the viewpoint of the "haters".

I think he will be a star . . . and I would be curious to hear what makes you think he won't be ??????????

So, it's his star rating and not his parentage? OK.

Lower ranked recruits get questioned all the time on here. Connor is the first 4 star I've seen get questioned so much. If he was a 3 star and people ripped him, it would be hard to say it's because his dad. Since he's a 4 star, it's obvious that he gets questioned because who his dad is. Being a white kid from Iowa doesn't help.

I find this interesting.

You posit a fictional attack on the kid from "haters" and then say he won't be a star. Which would seem to lend credence to the viewpoint of the "haters".

I think he will be a star . . . and I would be curious to hear what makes you think he won't be ??????????

Some of his success will be dependent on who is placed on the court with him. If he's placed with slower players, the results will be one way. If there are legit speedsters around him, his success will change. At some point if he's to get playing time in next 2 years, there will likely be 2 other "not fast nor quick" players on the court with him.

I suspect his success will be similar to what we've seen out of Iowa that past few years as his career and Iowa's success will parallel. Great games, disaster games, a lot of games in the middle. In the end neither a huge success nor anywhere close to a disaster. A Big title will be elusive. Never at the bottom.

Fran is building a team of a lot of high achieving, not quick, smart players. When it "Cooks" is will look terrific. When it doesn't...... think Villanova and Virginia on occasion, with an occasional Omaha. Lot's of bubble years. Most of these players have more offensive scoring promise than Fran's recently graduated players of the same mold.

I find this interesting.

This isn't my first rodeo as far as judging poster's views, opinions and reading through the lines as far as how people think and how irrational some posters can be. It's an opinion, for sure, but one based on keen observation.

I hope CM will be a star. When I said he will be decent, that's meant as a compliment and a retort against those who say he's over-rated and doesn't deserve his star rating. Not being a star means he won't be a lottery pick for the NBA. Being decent means he can do some really good things at Iowa.

Lower ranked recruits get questioned all the time on here. Connor is the first 4 star I've seen get questioned so much. If he was a 3 star and people ripped him, it would be hard to say it's because his dad. Since he's a 4 star, it's obvious that he gets questioned because who his dad is. Being a white kid from Iowa doesn't help.
...or he has been committed for 4 years and it's given everyone and their grandparents a chance to see him play and question his abilities, since he isn't dominating the Iowa high school basketball scene, like a 4* player should - see Weiskamp, Joe.

...or he has been committed for 4 years and it's given everyone and their grandparents a chance to see him play and question his abilities, since he isn't dominating the Iowa high school basketball scene, like a 4* player should - see Weiskamp, Joe.

I thought he led ICW to a state championship and put up great #'s in 4A?

He was dominate. I haven't seen a player in the state that could stop him from penetrating or getting off his shot. The thing that people over look is that Connor is a coaches kid. His basketball IQ is as high as it gets for incoming recruits. That leads to less blunt force production. More team play. Comparisons to Wieskamp are unfair and not equal. Wieskamp plays for a team that is not nearly as good as Connor's team and Wieskamp is 80% of his teams offense. Connor's team has never required that of him. All and all I still think Wieskamp is better than Connor and the closest thing we have had to a blue chip recruit in quite awhile. To compare a top 50 and possibly top 20 kid to Connor is just silly. They can both be excellent hawkeyes. Every player on your team can't be MJ. If Connor is anywhere near as skilled and ready to play as this last crop of freshman than I think we will be counting our lucky stars.

I honestly don't know where some posters come up with some of this ... so that's why i question it.

not worthy of a 4 star, not dominate in his own state. Seriously - when everything says other wise - where do they come up with it?

He's pretty much a consensus 4 star everywhere = Hawkeyenation posters - "That's not legit"

He dominates 4A statistically - wins state title - Get's hosed for Mr. Basketball - is largely considered the best recruit in his class in the state of IA = Hawkeyenation posters "he's not dominate in his own state"

i don't get it.

Personally, I'd be surprised if Connor even plays next year. Whether it be redshirt, baseball only, or prep school, I'd put the odds at less than 25%. JMO though.

As far as the whole star rating thing goes, one factor that I do think should be mentioned is this. Does everybody remember when the ESPN top 25 ranking came out with CM in it? At that time CM was probably more physically mature and overall just a better player than kids his age. At that time, his name recognition may have also helped him. As we've all seen before though, kids catch up and the kids that looked dominate as freshman and sophomores, often times get passed by. IMO it is likely that this has happened somewhat with CM, and that the recruiting sites probably didn't want to drastically drop his rating. Or it was just easier to keep him close to his previous ranking.

Another question I'd pose is this. As a top 150 type 4*, I think most would expect that type of kid to make an instant impact as a freshman. I could be wrong but it didn't appear to me that the majority of posters expect that out of CM?

Again these are just the ramblings of a guy who has only seen videos and read things on the internet, so I could be way off.

Latest posts