Connor Mac wows in the defense free all star game!

Personally, I'd be surprised if Connor even plays next year. Whether it be redshirt, baseball only, or prep school, I'd put the odds at less than 25%. JMO though.

As far as the whole star rating thing goes, one factor that I do think should be mentioned is this. Does everybody remember when the ESPN top 25 ranking came out with CM in it? At that time CM was probably more physically mature and overall just a better player than kids his age. At that time, his name recognition may have also helped him. As we've all seen before though, kids catch up and the kids that looked dominate as freshman and sophomores, often times get passed by. IMO it is likely that this has happened somewhat with CM, and that the recruiting sites probably didn't want to drastically drop his rating. Or it was just easier to keep him close to his previous ranking.

Another question I'd pose is this. As a top 150 type 4*, I think most would expect that type of kid to make an instant impact as a freshman. I could be wrong but it didn't appear to me that the majority of posters expect that out of CM?

Again these are just the ramblings of a guy who has only seen videos and read things on the internet, so I could be way off.

I feel like I'm the only one in the state that thinks Connor plays basketball next season at Iowa largely because they desperately need another option that can handle some point duties and he knows that and Fran knows that. But that's just my opinion on it, yet I don't think that's near consensus.

Personally, I'd be surprised if Connor even plays next year. Whether it be redshirt, baseball only, or prep school, I'd put the odds at less than 25%. JMO though.

As far as the whole star rating thing goes, one factor that I do think should be mentioned is this. Does everybody remember when the ESPN top 25 ranking came out with CM in it? At that time CM was probably more physically mature and overall just a better player than kids his age. At that time, his name recognition may have also helped him. As we've all seen before though, kids catch up and the kids that looked dominate as freshman and sophomores, often times get passed by. IMO it is likely that this has happened somewhat with CM, and that the recruiting sites probably didn't want to drastically drop his rating. Or it was just easier to keep him close to his previous ranking.

Another question I'd pose is this. As a top 150 type 4*, I think most would expect that type of kid to make an instant impact as a freshman. I could be wrong but it didn't appear to me that the majority of posters expect that out of CM?

Again these are just the ramblings of a guy who has only seen videos and read things on the internet, so I could be way off.

There is a big difference between a recruit who is slowly dropping in the rankings and one who keeps getting ranked higher and higher like Garza and Nunge, so I will give you that. But either way, consensus 4 stars are pretty rare around here and if he had any other name, people would be a lot more excited about him.

There is a big difference between a recruit who is slowly dropping in the rankings and one who keeps getting ranked higher and higher like Garza and Nunge, so I will give you that. But either way, consensus 4 stars are pretty rare around here and if he had any other name, people would be a lot more excited about him.

He's still in ESPN's top 100 and considered the best player in the state in his class.... yet all I hear is about how he's not gonna play at Iowa next season. It's a legit LOL

I'd put the odds at 75% that he does play next year, with 25% that he red-shirts. He might already be the second best point guard Iowa has and surely he'd rather play for his dad than play baseball, unless he can do both.

I'd put the odds at 75% that he does play next year, with 25% that he red-shirts. He might already be the second best point guard Iowa has and surely he'd rather play for his dad than play baseball, unless he can do both.

^ this is where I am at and until I am told otherwise, I'll remain here. The only way he isn't playing next season at Iowa is to RS and IMO that seems unlikely largely do to need imo - Think what happens next season if Jordan has to miss any kind of time for injury

Couple of things I agree on and a couple not. First I agree with: Other kids have caught up to Connor physically.
Connor has trended downward some.
Connor is not likely to play next year (for different reasons).

Things I disagree: I don't believe Connor has dropped in ranking by any fault of his own. I think the downward movement is the result of the recruiting agencies focusing on the most special of special and the remaining uncommitted kids. This happens alot. Kids declares for a team a year or 2 early and the recruiting agencies stop focusing on them. What's the point to waste time and money on evaluating a kid in Iowa who is 1000% going to Iowa?

I give about 85% odds that Connor doesn't play next year. The reason I say this is because the McCaffery family is wanting Connor and Patrick to have extended years playing together. I believe Connor takes a shirt or worst case Dale Jones won't leave and Connor goes prep. I think Fran would want Connor to be with the team and practicing as soon as possible though. The 15% odds that he plays because he is already on par with Williams and unless Williams makes a developmental jump this off season it is possible Connor is better. In that case I imagine he plays. Fran's not going to risk pissing away wins by playing weaker players.

Couple of things I agree on and a couple not. First I agree with: Other kids have caught up to Connor physically.
Connor has trended downward some.
Connor is not likely to play next year (for different reasons).

Things I disagree: I don't believe Connor has dropped in ranking by any fault of his own. I think the downward movement is the result of the recruiting agencies focusing on the most special of special and the remaining uncommitted kids. This happens alot. Kids declares for a team a year or 2 early and the recruiting agencies stop focusing on them. What's the point to waste time and money on evaluating a kid in Iowa who is 1000% going to Iowa?

I give about 85% odds that Connor doesn't play next year. The reason I say this is because the McCaffery family is wanting Connor and Patrick to have extended years playing together. I believe Connor takes a shirt or worst case Dale Jones won't leave and Connor goes prep. I think Fran would want Connor to be with the team and practicing as soon as possible though. The 15% odds that he plays because he is already on par with Williams and unless Williams makes a developmental jump this off season it is possible Connor is better. In that case I imagine he plays. Fran's not going to risk pissing away wins by playing weaker players.

I can get behind a RS so him and Pat can play together, that's a statement that actually makes sense.

I can get behind a RS so him and Pat can play together, that's a statement that actually makes sense.

Here is my thing with that though. If he is good enough to make our team better next year than he shouldn't redshirt, even if it's for some sort of family reason. Fran's job is to do what's best for our team.

Not to mention redshirts should really be used for guys that either need to put time into their body, or need time to learn the system/ adjust to college. That doesn't sound like CM to me.

If he's not good enough to play next year. Then what would lead me to believe that he would be good enough I play the following year? His position is filled with guys that aren't set to graduate for a couple years.

This is probably a fair comparison. Tim Finke v CM

Conner:
Tim:
Conner 24/7 = 111

Tim 24/7 = 91

Tim has a host of offers of from Good teams but not blue bloods. FM never had the opportunity.

Tim has a better shot. Conners concerns me due to low release point. At some point, Iowa needs shooters who can shoot off dribber. Conner seems reluctant and low release could cause problems. When he shoots off dribble...against short competition.

Tim has some savvy from watching his brother play in Big. Dad is a high school coach. Played tougher competition.

Similar passing. Conner dribbles kind of high.

You guys can make some of your own observations.

Maybe this is why people question Conner's ability,
Joe Weiskamp - 4* player in Iowa 4A - 3
He was dominate. I haven't seen a player in the state that could stop him from penetrating or getting off his shot. The thing that people over look is that Connor is a coaches kid. His basketball IQ is as high as it gets for incoming recruits. That leads to less blunt force production. More team play. Comparisons to Wieskamp are unfair and not equal. Wieskamp plays for a team that is not nearly as good as Connor's team and Wieskamp is 80% of his teams offense. Connor's team has never required that of him. All and all I still think Wieskamp is better than Connor and the closest thing we have had to a blue chip recruit in quite awhile. To compare a top 50 and possibly top 20 kid to Connor is just silly. They can both be excellent hawkeyes. Every player on your team can't be MJ. If Connor is anywhere near as skilled and ready to play as this last crop of freshman than I think we will be counting our lucky stars.
I'm not overlooking anything. I was speaking in broad terms about how people view him. The argument I am countering is that he gets more grief because he's the coach's kid. So, your argument that people overlook the fact that he is a coach's kid helps me out. Thanks.

This is probably a fair comparison. Tim Finke v CM

Conner:
Tim:
Conner 24/7 = 111

Tim 24/7 = 91

Tim has a host of offers of from Good teams but not blue bloods. FM never had the opportunity.

Tim has a better shot. Conners concerns me due to low release point. At some point, Iowa needs shooters who can shoot off dribber. Conner seems reluctant and low release could cause problems. When he shoots off dribble...against short competition.

Tim has some savvy from watching his brother play in Big. Dad is a high school coach. Played tougher competition.

Similar passing. Conner dribbles kind of high.

You guys can make some of your own observations.
Let's get em both. Just need another transfer...

I thought he led ICW to a state championship and put up great #'s in 4A?
Avg 20 ppg. Most people expect a 4* player to do better in a state with a small population like Iowa. I understand why and how he scores what he does. My point is that he gets a lot of scrutiny for the reason I stated. I'm not going to defend what other people's perceptions are. I just don't subscribe to the notion that he gets the scrutiny he does because he is the HC's son. Fair enough? I believe he gets additional scrutiny from posters for these reasons:
1. He committed as a FR. 4 years for people to pick his game apart
2. He's a 4* prospect that doesn't put up big numbers. Some posters put a lot of stock in that.
I think those are the main reasons people want to pick his game apart. The fact that he's Fran's son might have something to do with it too but I think it rates 3rd behind the other 2. And I think that because many posters aren't critical of Patrick right now. If his numbers flat line and his ranking slips by his SR year, you'll see him get the same treatment that Conner gets. If he ends up avg 30+ ppg and 10 rpg, you'll hear rave reviews and great support.

I have a real concern that if the "fans" make a conscious decision to hate Connor, it may be the one thing that would drive McCaffery away. He needs to be treated as just another freshman basketball player and cut some slack.

------I am crazy negative on both boards? This is news to me.

If you think for one second that you are gonna "out negative" me, then we may just have to step outside. *wink*

I have a real concern that if the "fans" make a conscious decision to hate Connor, it may be the one thing that would drive McCaffery away. He needs to be treated as just another freshman basketball player and cut some slack.
I don't see that happening unless he does something extremely dumb off the court. He's got a very high basketball IQ and he's unselfish with the ball. You'd have to be a raging Delta Bravo to hate on a player like that.

Avg 20 ppg. Most people expect a 4* player to do better in a state with a small population like Iowa. I understand why and how he scores what he does. My point is that he gets a lot of scrutiny for the reason I stated. I'm not going to defend what other people's perceptions are. I just don't subscribe to the notion that he gets the scrutiny he does because he is the HC's son. Fair enough? I believe he gets additional scrutiny from posters for these reasons:
1. He committed as a FR. 4 years for people to pick his game apart
2. He's a 4* prospect that doesn't put up big numbers. Some posters put a lot of stock in that.
I think those are the main reasons people want to pick his game apart. The fact that he's Fran's son might have something to do with it too but I think it rates 3rd behind the other 2. And I think that because many posters aren't critical of Patrick right now. If his numbers flat line and his ranking slips by his SR year, you'll see him get the same treatment that Conner gets. If he ends up avg 30+ ppg and 10 rpg, you'll hear rave reviews and great support.

Couple of quick points in response. It is my general belief that because he is the son of a B1G coach that he gets more attention and earlier attention than most other recruits get. With attention comes a higher probability for scrutiny. Maybe this is what you think maybe not. I personally am of the opinion that Connor is towing the line for a 4 star recruit. I also think that Patrick will appear more dominate because he will be the go to guy for his team next year similar to Weiskamp this year.

How do you square that with the fact that Dad has said publicly that Connor wants to play major league baseball? This young man has many attractive options and some big choices to make. He might advance his baseball career further by beefing up some which would lessen his effectiveness in basketball. He has a chance to play for three or for years with his brother and a likely friend in Weiskamp and for his dad in basketball. And as a 4.0 student he has the smarts to do about anything he wants in life.

I don't think we can assume anything about what direction Connor will go and he has his senior baseball season ahead to get more of a feel of whether he can get a contract at this time in that sport. Not the average kid here in kind of a unique situation.

How do you square that with the fact that Dad has said publicly that Connor wants to play major league baseball? This young man has many attractive options and some big choices to make. He might advance his baseball career further by beefing up some which would lessen his effectiveness in basketball. He has a chance to play for three or for years with his brother and a likely friend in Weiskamp and for his dad in basketball. And as a 4.0 student he has the smarts to do about anything he wants in life.

I don't think we can assume anything about what direction Connor will go and he has his senior baseball season ahead to get more of a feel of whether he can get a contract at this time in that sport. Not the average kid here in kind of a unique situation.

It's becoming less and less unique.

Some of his success will be dependent on who is placed on the court with him. If he's placed with slower players, the results will be one way. If there are legit speedsters around him, his success will change. At some point if he's to get playing time in next 2 years, there will likely be 2 other "not fast nor quick" players on the court with him.

I suspect his success will be similar to what we've seen out of Iowa that past few years as his career and Iowa's success will parallel. Great games, disaster games, a lot of games in the middle. In the end neither a huge success nor anywhere close to a disaster. A Big title will be elusive. Never at the bottom.

Fran is building a team of a lot of high achieving, not quick, smart players. When it "Cooks" is will look terrific. When it doesn't...... think Villanova and Virginia on occasion, with an occasional Omaha. Lot's of bubble years. Most of these players have more offensive scoring promise than Fran's recently graduated players of the same mold.

Wut?

You can only be a star if surrounded by other stars? That's dumb. And there are countless examples to disprove that flawed logic.

Latest posts