Compare Resumes: Iowa and ISU

then why are we bragging so much about beating them?

This. If ISU is so average why are they likely going to the NCAAs? And if "average" teams make the NCAAs, what does that make Iowa?

Iowa would get beat down in Hilton today. When that one game (which is about 3% of the season, btw) was played, Lucious was awful. He's improved CONSIDERABLY since then and that's the main reason ISU appears to be in solid shape.

Winning by less than 10 is a whitewashing? Kicked the "blankety-blank" out of them? You need to watch some non-Big 10 games, son...

ISU will be raw at the start of the year next year, for sure...but they have 2 top 100 players coming in and some very good JuCo bigs. Yes, I know, Iowa has Jok and Uthoff, so maybe that's a wash...(not whitewash though). Say what you want about Hoiberg's strategy, but he's getting good high school talent now and is just using the Juco/transfer ranks to fill the gaps until the recruiting machine is self-sustaining...after this summer I'd bet they've got a few more big-name recruits committed to ISU.

It's a fun time in Iowa - both programs are coming back to life - one is clearly ahead of the curve, but at least it's not so one-sided any longer.

You saw the game. Other than the last 5 minutes of the half, Iowa dominated. The final margin was 9 points, but once Iowa regained the lead in the beginning of the 2nd half, there was never a doubt who was going to win that game.

I guess for comparisons sake you could use Iowa's game against Wisconsin at Carver, only without the 5 minute "comeback" at the end of the half.

You saw the game. Other than the last 5 minutes of the half, Iowa dominated. The final margin was 9 points, but once Iowa regained the lead in the beginning of the 2nd half, there was never a doubt who was going to win that game.

I guess for comparisons sake you could use Iowa's game against Wisconsin at Carver, only without the 5 minute "comeback" at the end of the half.

I saw the game and ISU played their worst game of the year. It was Iowa's Super Bowl and should be commended because they deserved to win. I don't even think Iowa played that well either.

I'm also not convinced that ISU is going to make the tournament.

I'm actually a big fan of the Clones people trying to use the 'super bowl' excuse.

Its a great joke ... But I'm not sure they're joking.

I saw the game and ISU played their worst game of the year. It was Iowa's Super Bowl and should be commended because they deserved to win. I don't even think Iowa played that well either.

I would agree with that. I think Iowa played better games in the home wins against Wisconsin and Minnesota, and in the first game against Indiana.

Yes, I know they lost to Indiana. It is possible to play a good game and get beat.

I thought Iowa moved the ball really well against Iowa State (granted their defense isn't good) and I thought Iowa defended really well. But I agree it wasn't our best game. Of course Iowa State's best player didn't score and their PG does look like a different player the last month.

Who cares, we won, they lost. Home court makes a huge difference. Just wait until we pound on Nebraska to prove it

I'm not convinced unless we win over Kansas tonight. Then it's pretty much a lock...though the committee does have a few screws loose from time to time.

I think both teams are pretty comparable, IMO. If Iowa/ISU played 10 times throughout the year on a neutral court, I think we would split 5/5.

Home court advantage is huge, as both teams have seen this year.

There's no doubt Iowa beat us soundly in IC in December, but I think ISU has improved greatly since then, especially at PG. I don't see as much improvement with Iowa. Probably due to a lot of FR hitting the wall.

This. If ISU is so average why are they likely going to the NCAAs? And if "average" teams make the NCAAs, what does that make Iowa?

Iowa would get beat down in Hilton today. When that one game (which is about 3% of the season, btw) was played, Lucious was awful. He's improved CONSIDERABLY since then and that's the main reason ISU appears to be in solid shape.

Easy bud. I know you're excited about how your team is playing but let's not pile on. While Iowa just experienced the biggest meltdown in a season of meltdowns, they aren't a bad team. They haven't been beat down by anyone outside Michigan and although I'm sure you're high on ISU, they aren't quite at that level.

ISU is going to make the tourney and Iowa likely won't. Most realistic Iowa fans recognize this. Iowa has improved throughout the season as well, they just haven't figured out how to close out games. They don't have a proven leader to take over down the stretch like they had last year. I'm sure if the two teams played again tomorrow Iowa would hang, regardless of venue.

We beat you, you just had an easier road to the dance. Congrats to you but we are the better team as demonstrated on the court and confirmed by the scoreboard. Maybe next year little sistet

And your on our message board because you are and always have been jealous of our successes. You want to be a hawk but we won't take you. Stuck in lames wishing you were on IC.

It'd be nice to be playing in the weak B12 right about now.

First things first. Is the Big Ten the best basketball conference this year? Yes. However, to say that Iowa had a favorable schedule is beyond an understatement. Below are the current conference standings and how many times the Hawks play each opponenet this year:

Indiana - 2
Mich St. - 1
Michigan - 1

Wisky - 2
Ohio State - 1
Illinois - 1

Minnesota - 2
Iowa
Purdue - 2
Nebraska - 2
NW - 2
Penn St - 2

Notice a common trend there? They play all five of six (Iowa is bottom half) of the bottom half of the league teams twice. They only play two of six of the top half of the league teams twice. Iowa has eight games vs. the likes of Penn St/NW/Nebraska/Purdue. Real difficult schedule there! If you can't compete in your conference with that favorable of a schedule you need to stop comparing yourself to others and worry about yourself. That's pretty dang poor.

Iowa hasn't won a regular season conference title since 1979. They've had one first round draft pick in the past twenty years which came in the form of Ricky Davis. Sit back and give credit where credit is due. Iowa State is currently the superior program and has been for years. Iowa has a young team and should have some promising seasons on the way.

To say it'd be nice to be playing in the weak Big 12 is ignorant. It'd be nice to have Iowa's incredibly weak conference schedule!

To say it'd be nice to be playing in the weak Big 12 is ignorant. It'd be nice to have Iowa's incredibly weak conference schedule!

Iowa had a favorable B10 slate this season but it's still considerably tougher than the toughest B12 slate. As I stated earlier in this thread, the best team in the B12 would be 4th in the B10. Iowa still has more games vs. tougher teams than ISU.

I will throw you your bone though, ISU has been a better team than Iowa for the past decade. I don't think that can really be debated. If you want to go all the way back to 1979 and compare resumes, that's not the case. Iowa is on it's way back up. Not quite there yet, but close. Hoiberg has done a great job of finding guys from other programs to come in right away and contribute without having much of a development process. Fran has done it the more traditional way which obviously takes time. I think both methods will produce results and both programs have a bright future. I for one am looking forward to the rivalry intensifying in the near future.

Iowa had a favorable B10 slate this season but it's still considerably tougher than the toughest B12 slate. As I stated earlier in this thread, the best team in the B12 would be 4th in the B10. Iowa still has more games vs. tougher teams than ISU.

I will throw you your bone though, ISU has been a better team than Iowa for the past decade. I don't think that can really be debated. If you want to go all the way back to 1979 and compare resumes, that's not the case. Iowa is on it's way back up. Not quite there yet, but close. Hoiberg has done a great job of finding guys from other programs to come in right away and contribute without having much of a development process. Fran has done it the more traditional way which obviously takes time. I think both methods will produce results and both programs have a bright future. I for one am looking forward to the rivalry intensifying in the near future.

Right - Kansas would finish fourth in the Big Ten. It's not like they've won 11 of their last 12 regular season conference titles and made the NCAA tourney every single year since 1983 (their highest seed being an 8 I might add). They aren't a prideful program at all though and they have a terrible home court advantage. Pencil them in for fourth though you're right!

Latest posts