Come on... say it! BF called a BRILLIANT game!

Welllll, I bet in all of college D1 football there was no other team that ran the center eligible play AND the QB punting play. So I am pretty sure we haven't run those plays before.

Or the "backed up deep in opponent's territory fake punt that my coach didn't actually call" play...

I just posted on another thread that Iowa needs to continue passing on first down based on Jon's tweet.

It worked against OSU.

I said after the OSU game and still think Wisconsin has to be confused. What will Iowa do on offense Saturday? Revert back to the run or totally mix it up.

We will see.

I just posted on another thread that Iowa needs to continue passing on first down based on Jon's tweet.

It worked against OSU.

I said after the OSU game and still think Wisconsin has to be confused. What will Iowa do on offense Saturday? Revert back to the run or totally mix it up.

We will see.
I'll take revert. I've seen it too many times.

So you think Kirk tells Brian what plays to run on first down?

I asked what plays were called that weren't allowed to be called before, all I got was silence.

There is no way BF called this game on his own. No way at all. Most of the credit should go to us fans because we've been posting what the offense should be doing. So we the fans called great game and the coaches finally listened!

Oh, for you Deano, I'm being scarcastic. Just making sure you are clear I'M NOT BEING SERIOUS.

I thought I bored you, why are you calling me out by name?

So you think Kirk tells Brian what plays to run on first down?

I asked what plays were called that weren't allowed to be called before, all I got was silence.

Sometimes what you say just leaves us speechless.
tumblr_m5vfp6zCcR1rys4czo1_500.gif

The guy just can't admit when he's wrong.

What was I wrong about? I disagreed with this, where am I wrong?

I believe BF told KF in their private conversation this past week, if you don't want anymore outbursts from the press box, let me call the the offense my way instead of the KF old-fashioned way.

Or as I've stated in the past month. Mary told KF to let BF run the dang offense his way because she's bored of watching AW run into a brick wall every Saturday.

I'm believing both happened. Pretty sure I saw KF on his headset say "are you sure of that play call" several times. BF can now say I told you so to KF.

I wouldn't call BF being "brilliant" about this. He finally used what most other coaches would have used if they had Wadley, Stanley, and Fant. Those of some of the top at their position in the Big. Congrats BF for finally being normal.
giphy.gif

So you agree that Brian told KF he would continue with his outbursts if KF didn’t let him call the game he wanted and that Mary told KF to stop putting constrains on Brian?

We don’t always see eye to eye TK, but you have never been a whack job before, so I’m not sure where this is coming from?

So you agree that Brian told KF he would continue with his outbursts if KF didn’t let him call the game he wanted and that Mary told KF to stop putting constrains on Brian?

We don’t always see eye to eye TK, but you have never been a whack job before, so I’m not sure where this is coming from?
You take this site way too seriously.

You take this site way too seriously.

Not serious at all. The problem is how big a babies some are on here. Call them out and they start wailing away like little bitches. Not me, I get called out just as much as I call others out, I don’t go around crying about it. If I had a dime for every time that @HawkGold started crying, calling me a bully and other things. I’d be even richer than I already am.

Not serious at all. The problem is how big a babies some are on here. Call them out and they start wailing away like little bitches. Not me, I get called out just as much as I call others out, I don’t go around crying about it. If I had a dime for every time that @HawkGold started crying, calling me a bully and other things. I’d be even richer than I already am.
79dd0f82-c776-4685-93e7-c0ea298e2305-giphy.gif

Iowa executed at a high level on Saturday, and passed the ball on 1st down 4 or 5 more times than they normally have been. I personally didn't notice any new plays (outside the fake FG and punt), that we hadn't run before.

Another thing Hawkeye Gamefilm pointed out is how often OSU was out of position, or flat out blew assignments. These things matter, and each and every time Iowa made them pay.

The game plan by Brian, which included deciding to pass more on 1st down, was certainly a big factor in the win. Yet I don't think the individual plays called themselves were any different than the rest of the year. I think execution was the difference. If we had 3 first down drops for instance, and 3 stupid offensive penalties, that is 6 drives potentially that could have been killed before they even got started. That, combined with taking advantage of OSU blown assignments was why this game happened. Iowa played a clean game, and OSU had so many mistakes that all came back to haunt them.

Obviously I'm on an island here, and many disagree.

As the quote from Kulick said yesterday, Iowa was searching for identity early in season. They found their identity over the last 2 WEEKS. The stuff they were doing against OSU they did against Minn as well. The difference was vs. Minn they dropped balls, had penalties, and missed blocking assignments. Also, Minn was more aggressive with blitz, and in the 2nd half it was clear that Minn could do nothing against Iowa D so the Iowa O played conservatively.

We also can't lose sight of just how much OSU screwed up assignments, and not due to any trickeration or tendency breaking. They just weren't prepared for plays that have been Iowa's bread and butter all year long. On the flip side, Iowa nailed their assignments across the board.

So any change really started taking place a few weeks before, and in reality it has been a gradual progression throughout the season. Iowa was very successful last year running even when everyone knew it was coming. For whatever reason, they have not been able to exert their will to the same extent this year (probably combination of losing Meyers/Boetger/Butler, new OL coach, Stanley not being afforded the same respect by opposing D's that Beathard was given). Should this progression have been more rapid? Probably, but it is hard to take that leap of faith in your 1st year QB and de-emphasize what has been your recent strength (OL and Wadley). Maybe a different staff would have seen the writing on the wall sooner. Then again, maybe a different staff would not be able to create a culture that leads to 100 young men believing they can route a top 10 team, and then putting in the work to do just that.

As the quote from Kulick said yesterday, Iowa was searching for identity early in season. They found their identity over the last 2 WEEKS. The stuff they were doing against OSU they did against Minn as well. The difference was vs. Minn they dropped balls, had penalties, and missed blocking assignments. Also, Minn was more aggressive with blitz, and in the 2nd half it was clear that Minn could do nothing against Iowa D so the Iowa O played conservatively.

We also can't lose sight of just how much OSU screwed up assignments, and not due to any trickeration or tendency breaking. They just weren't prepared for plays that have been Iowa's bread and butter all year long. On the flip side, Iowa nailed their assignments across the board.

So any change really started taking place a few weeks before, and in reality it has been a gradual progression throughout the season. Iowa was very successful last year running even when everyone knew it was coming. For whatever reason, they have not been able to exert their will to the same extent this year (probably combination of losing Meyers/Boetger/Butler, new OL coach, Stanley not being afforded the same respect by opposing D's that Beathard was given). Should this progression have been more rapid? Probably, but it is hard to take that leap of faith in your 1st year QB and de-emphasize what has been your recent strength (OL and Wadley). Maybe a different staff would have seen the writing on the wall sooner. Then again, maybe a different staff would not be able to create a culture that leads to 100 young men believing they can route a top 10 team, and then putting in the work to do just that.

Well said @CP87 I hope that as they say the toothpaste is out of the tube, and the Iowa offense will continue to run through Nathan Stanley and the passing game. With how well Iowa passed on 1st down, there is no reason not to try to stay 50/50 on 1st down between run and pass.

I never would've believed it had I not been there sitting on the 50 yard line with an opportunity to rush the field! Great game could be an interesting November.