Christian Williams Leaving Team

Is this official official? I mean, coming from Rob, I have to think that it is, but I haven't seen it really reported any where as a done deal?

Also, I liked Williams, he just wasn't IMO, ever going to be able to play the roll Iowa needed him to play. I actually think Iowa just got a lot better at PG this season.

Official? No. Going to happen? I'd be surprised if it didn't.

CM owes it to Rick Heller to sit down and talk about it, however, before it becoming official. Heller passed on other players and if he loses CM for this season, he can't just go out and replace him at this point.

Heller actually came up with the plan for CM to RS in basketball and play baseball the first year. CM then spent the fall focusing on baseball then sprinkling in basketball. There are two Hawkeye programs involved here and they need to work through all the details.

I can't imagine it not happening...given the surprise (?) departure of the Iowa PG depth...and playing for his dad with a talented team ready to take off with a talented PG option...

I don't think this is so cut-and-dry. Basketball may be more important to us than baseball, but CM, by all accounts, can make money playing baseball. He's probably a draftable prospect if he plays at Iowa. I don't think anyone believes that he'll make dollar one playing basketball. That's quite a sacrifice we're all assuming he'll make...put off an entire year of baseball development so he can be a backup PG for the basketball team. I'll believe it when I see it.

I don't think this is so cut-and-dry. Basketball may be more important to us than baseball, but CM, by all accounts, can make money playing baseball. He's probably a draftable prospect if he plays at Iowa. I don't think anyone believes that he'll make dollar one playing basketball. That's quite a sacrifice we're all assuming he'll make...put off an entire year of baseball development so he can be a backup PG for the basketball team. I'll believe it when I see it.
Yeah I don't think he's been hyped as a future NBA guy but that doesn't mean he couldn't make a nice living over seas.. I saw that Jaryd Cole from a few years ago just decided to hang it up and he played quite awhile over there. Yet getting your foot in the door for baseball is big big money. He's a tall 1b prospect and those guys get big time moola. So from strictly a future financial decision baseball seems like the route to try. It'd be a heck of a decision to have to make. He seems to love both. Getting to play for your Dad and with your brother eventually would have to be a heck of a heart string to have pulled on...

McCaffery is a good player, but I'd rather have watched Williams play this year. It is to bad he was injured in the off season.

And so it begins. I think this makes the basketball team significantly better with him playing instead of Williams. I think he's just the prototypical coaches kid from his approach to the game that playing/focusing on hoops day 1 will just make him that much better. I'm fired up over this news

Colorado has a freshman four star power forward ruled ineligible this year. A guy named Battey. It might help Iowa in their game in December.

And so it begins. I think this makes the basketball team significantly better with him playing instead of Williams. I think he's just the prototypical coaches kid from his approach to the game that playing/focusing on hoops day 1 will just make him that much better. I'm fired up over this news

I think the team is better with Connor as well, But I think we need to realize Connor isn’t going to play a big role on this team.

I think the team is better with Connor as well, But I think we need to realize Connor isn’t going to play a big role on this team.
I agree he'll hopefully only have to play a lot if JBo is in foul trouble early in games or God forbid something worse. But yeah 10 mins a game or so might be his ceiling. Which is totally fine by me. I think that'll be great going forward for him. Hopefully Ellingson can play the pg spot well enough too at times so the pressure isn't there for CM to be all in as the second PG. I really hope Ellingson can step up and be more then just a spot up guy.

I think it depends on what you consider a big role. I think he'll play 10-15 minutes per game and I think he'll be pretty good.

absolutely, but honestly, I think that was basically the same ROLE that Williams was looking to play this season too - I just think it might be better served with Connor now, and it could continue to expand as the season progresses. CMAC was a top 100 kid and a 4 star and Iowa is replacing a 3 star that never really panned out. I'm just excited because I've thought, imagined and said he was going to play this season since day 1 and was super bummed when I found out he wasn't. It actually gives me more hope for this team long run.

absolutely, but honestly, I think that was basically the same ROLE that Williams was looking to play this season too - I just think it might be better served with Connor now, and it could continue to expand as the season progresses. CMAC was a top 100 kid and a 4 star and Iowa is replacing a 3 star that never really panned out. I'm just excited because I've thought, imagined and said he was going to play this season since day 1 and was super bummed when I found out he wasn't. It actually gives me more hope for this team long run.
I've never seen him play, and I hope you are right.

I think he'll get the same mins at the same position(s) but I don't think the role will be exactly the same. Williams wasn't asked to stretch the floor as a shooter or even run the offense in the same way I think CM will. Williams was a good defender and it remains to be seen if CM can defend as well. I don't suspect he can at least not at first. The stars aren't really relevant once they put the jerseys on we all know that. JBo probably never got a star and he might get some first team all BIG votes this year. (not saying he'll win that but you get my point)

I've never seen him play, and I hope you are right.

I've only seen 2 games + HS highlights (The summer game that was televised + the exhibition) and I am already convinced he's an upgrade.

I like Williams, I liked his upside. I liked his length. Liked what I thought he could be. He unfortunately never really flashed more then a couple of series in 2 years. Always looked lost on offense, never seemed confident, had horrible body language and always looked unhappy. Maybe that's just the way he looked. I wish him the best, but I think Connor instantly makes the back up PG position better this season.

I've only seen 2 games + HS highlights (The summer game that was televised + the exhibition) and I am already convinced he's an upgrade.

I like Williams, I liked his upside. I liked his length. Liked what I thought he could be. He unfortunately never really flashed more then a couple of series in 2 years. Always looked lost on offense, never seemed confident, had horrible body language and always looked unhappy. Maybe that's just the way he looked. I wish him the best, but I think Connor instantly makes the back up PG position better this season.
Those are things that won't be the case one bit with CM. I bet CM knows the Xs and Os of what Fran wants done at all times better then most. The kid is a 4.0 student from what I've read along with being a coaches kid. I'll be surprised if he isn't a leader on the floor the second he's on it regardless of the amount of mins he gets.

I hope Connor only gets between 5-10 MPG honestly. He is still a Fr. and he is going to struggle for the most part. If he can just get the ball up the court and the offense into the motion for 5-10 MPG that is a win. I feel like Williams biggest weakness was just how loose he was with the ball, and that he just didn't get the team into the offense effectively.

Latest posts