Chicago Cubs 2015 Thread

I've had more fun watching baseball this year than I have in a long time. It is a bit frustrating that we just can't make up as much ground as I'd like on the Pirates and Cardinals, but who would've thought that we would be 21 games over .500 at the end of August? This is a big week, but we have enough cushion that it wouldn't destroy us to have a bad week. But a good week would crush the Giants. Not used to being this interested so late in the year.

Thank goodness for that 2nd wild card. In the old system, the Cubs would still be on the outside looking in. The NL Central is crazy good this year.

Still several games with STL & Pitt left, though, so opportunity to make up ground remains.

Thank goodness for that 2nd wild card. In the old system, the Cubs would still be on the outside looking in. The NL Central is crazy good this year.

Still several games with STL & Pitt left, though, so opportunity to make up ground remains.
I know I'm dreaming a little but it would be great to catch St. Louis and win the division. That would probably put this season at #1 on the list in my lifetime. Other contenders (playoff years) would be 2008, 2007, 2003, 1998 (Sosa vs McGuire), 1989, and 1984. Of those 1984 is up there for me because it's probably the year I fell in love with the Cubs as a young boy, 2003 was great because we were so close and had exciting young pitching, and 1998 was just a great year for baseball because of all the cheating.

I know I'm dreaming a little but it would be great to catch St. Louis and win the division. That would probably put this season at #1 on the list in my lifetime. Other contenders (playoff years) would be 2008, 2007, 2003, 1998 (Sosa vs McGuire), 1989, and 1984. Of those 1984 is up there for me because it's probably the year I fell in love with the Cubs as a young boy, 2003 was great because we were so close and had exciting young pitching, and 1998 was just a great year for baseball because of all the cheating.

DJL.

This is was the year I got married, and spent my Honeymoon in Wrigley...1984 was a great year for me and my wife, Sarah.....she's been hooked ever since....I literally ran into Jack Brickhouse when we first entered the stadium....I was gawking around and wasn't paying attention.........We went back to a Cards/Cub game this past July.....that was the first time since 1984, awesome place and great experience since they won.........Go Cubs

DJL.

This is was the year I got married, and spent my Honeymoon in Wrigley...1984 was a great year for me and my wife, Sarah.....she's been hooked ever since....I literally ran into Jack Brickhouse when we first entered the stadium....I was gawking around and wasn't paying attention.........We went back to a Cards/Cub game this past July.....that was the first time since 1984, awesome place and great experience since they won.........Go Cubs
That's a great memory and a great way to spend a Honeymoon! Unfortunately the Cubs lost when I took my kids to their first Cubs game last week, but it was a fun game and the kids loved it. I have a feeling they will be asking me to take them to more.
The 2003 "Bartman" game was my 3rd wedding anniversary. That game kind of ruined the night,

2003 was a lot of fun but it was a pretty average team that just rode Prior and then caught fire in September after the Ramirez and Lofton trade deadline pick ups. Taking four out of five in a September series against the Cardinals is probably my favorite regular season series ever.

2004 sucked, no other way to put it. So much hype, the Prior-Wood-Clement-Z-Maddox rotation started in order once all year, so many injuries, players fighting with Steve Stone, Moises Alou ******** all the time, just a pretty unlikable team by the end of the year.

2007 was fun because the previous few years the team was so bad, but was mostly the result of playing in a terrible division. Got black out drunk after they lost Game 3 to the D'Backs and woke up in my apartment hallway the next day though.

2008 was the best 1-25 man Cubs team in my lifetime. 97 wins, season highs of 35 games over .500 and +200 run differential, led the NL in runs scored, 2nd in the NL in runs allowed, just all around dominant numbers. They were incredibly deep but didn't have a ton of elite talent and it turned out to be a somewhat lightening in a bottle type year. I felt like that team was way too aware of the pressure on it come playoff time, they had the division wrapped up for weeks and Dempster struggling early on in Game 1 just gave way to a "here we go again" sense of dread in Wrigley.

2015 is a little fluky, not an outstanding run differential, great record in close games, but they're 21 games over .500 starting four rookies. There's elite prospects all over the place. Feels like we're playing with house money here because this team is going to be a ******* juggernaut over the next few years as Bryan/Schwarber/Russell/Soler all develop and Baez joins the team or is traded for another big piece, so just playing meaningful games in the fall is a successful season.

I'm just glad to be talking about the possibilities in August, instead of "there's always next year"....This has truly renewed my belief that this team and future Cubbies are going to do it.....this has been fun to watch and watch unfold......now I look forward to watching to whole game instead of the 1st few innings.....

2003 was a lot of fun but it was a pretty average team that just rode Prior and then caught fire in September after the Ramirez and Lofton trade deadline pick ups. Taking four out of five in a September series against the Cardinals is probably my favorite regular season series ever.

2004 sucked, no other way to put it. So much hype, the Prior-Wood-Clement-Z-Maddox rotation started in order once all year, so many injuries, players fighting with Steve Stone, Moises Alou ******** all the time, just a pretty unlikable team by the end of the year.

2007 was fun because the previous few years the team was so bad, but was mostly the result of playing in a terrible division. Got black out drunk after they lost Game 3 to the D'Backs and woke up in my apartment hallway the next day though.

2008 was the best 1-25 man Cubs team in my lifetime. 97 wins, season highs of 35 games over .500 and +200 run differential, led the NL in runs scored, 2nd in the NL in runs allowed, just all around dominant numbers. They were incredibly deep but didn't have a ton of elite talent and it turned out to be a somewhat lightening in a bottle type year. I felt like that team was way too aware of the pressure on it come playoff time, they had the division wrapped up for weeks and Dempster struggling early on in Game 1 just gave way to a "here we go again" sense of dread in Wrigley.

2015 is a little fluky, not an outstanding run differential, great record in close games, but they're 21 games over .500 starting four rookies. There's elite prospects all over the place. Feels like we're playing with house money here because this team is going to be a ******* juggernaut over the next few years as Bryan/Schwarber/Russell/Soler all develop and Baez joins the team or is traded for another big piece, so just playing meaningful games in the fall is a successful season.
The 2004 Cubs season kind of reminds me of the 2010 Iowa football season. So much talent and expectations only to be let down.

I'm amazed how quickly this team became so good. I was hoping to be a little better than .500 this year.

Nice win last night, the kids are having fun and playing loose, Arrietta was fantastic (16-6 record).....Just keep it going....

Nice win last night, the kids are having fun and playing loose, Arrietta was fantastic (16-6 record).....Just keep it going....
There are not many guys I would rather have pitching other than Jake right now. He has had an unbelievable run this year.

Crazy to think we have an MVP and CY Young Candidate in this lineup too. This team has guts which most Cubs teams haven't. The comeback wins we've had in the late innings say a lot about the heart of this team. Throw out the stats and give me a team that is unified and has their kind of character any day! This is just a very likeable team, great group of guys it seems like. Perhaps the best acquisition was Maddon though, he has done an amazing job and even through some tough decicions recently has kept the team together.

Crazy to think we have an MVP and CY Young Candidate in this lineup too. This team has guts which most Cubs teams haven't. The comeback wins we've had in the late innings say a lot about the heart of this team. Throw out the stats and give me a team that is unified and has their kind of character any day! This is just a very likeable team, great group of guys it seems like. Perhaps the best acquisition was Maddon though, he has done an amazing job and even through some tough decicions recently has kept the team together.

Maddon's been great. The Cubs have a great organization from the top down right now. They're going to be contenders for a long time to come.

Maddon's been great. The Cubs have a great organization from the top down right now. They're going to be contenders for a long time to come.

Agreed, sure seems like we should be competitive for a few years if we avoid major injuries. SP would be my main concern should we run into an injury or two. It also appears the Cards and Pirates should be good for a few years too so the division will remain very tough.

I'm amazed how quickly this team became so good. I was hoping to be a little better than .500 this year.

Yeah before the beginning of the year I was just happy if we were in the wild card hunt the last week of the season. Just too bad we're in the Central Division. Would be awesome if we could somehow catch the Cards and avoid a 1 game playoff.

A much needed win last night for the Cubs, and what a way to get it! Jake has a legit shot at the Cy Young.

Jake was absolutely fantastic on the mound, and yes, I agree, we needed that win, get us back home and get going again and sweep the Reds.....it's crunch time boys and girls.....it will be a crazy end of the season, September is full of great games....

Man I love taking it to the Cardinals!!! Absolutely love how this team is coming out and punching them in the mouth first, before they even know what hit them! I know I said it earlier, but I don't recall a Cubs team in my lifetime playing with so much swagger and confidence!
Couple things that came to mind last night: first, I really liked the infield of Baez/Russell/Castro/Rizzo. Baez looked great at 3B, and Bryant has really looked pretty comfortable in the OF for his limited time there. I don't know what'll happen, but that was an awfully athletic infield. If Castro can improve his defense we'd have something. Speaking of Castro, the fact he didn't sulk when being "demoted" and is still battling and starting to hit now says a lot about his makeup. I'll admit I've been ready to trade him numerous times, but his character and being a good team player should be noted. He is helping the team any way he can and I have to say I think he can still play and the best is hopefully still ahead.

Man I love taking it to the Cardinals!!! Absolutely love how this team is coming out and punching them in the mouth first, before they even know what hit them! I know I said it earlier, but I don't recall a Cubs team in my lifetime playing with so much swagger and confidence!
Couple things that came to mind last night: first, I really liked the infield of Baez/Russell/Castro/Rizzo. Baez looked great at 3B, and Bryant has really looked pretty comfortable in the OF for his limited time there. I don't know what'll happen, but that was an awfully athletic infield. If Castro can improve his defense we'd have something. Speaking of Castro, the fact he didn't sulk when being "demoted" and is still battling and starting to hit now says a lot about his makeup. I'll admit I've been ready to trade him numerous times, but his character and being a good team player should be noted. He is helping the team any way he can and I have to say I think he can still play and the best is hopefully still ahead.
I agree. It's nice to have some serious depth. Next year Cohglan may just be a bench guy. He's a solid versatile player to have on the bench. It's tough to find a spot for everyone though. I like Montero behind the plate, and Schwarber has to play when healthy. Soler is pretty solid, obviously Bryant has to play. So who do you sit? It's a nice problem to have.

Too early to say the magic number is 16?

Latest posts