Chicago Cubs 2015 Thread

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Montero comes back. Maddon has said you have to keep a bat like Schwarber in the lineup so I could see Soler being the odd man out. Schwarber in left, Coughlin in right and Soler in spot starts. It'll be tough to do but Coughlin has out-performed him. They have also used Coughlin at 2nd so Russell can slide over to SS to relieve Starlin since he is also struggling. Then there's this whole 'problem' of Javy Baez absolutely raking in Iowa...

he says that, then benches him the last two games. I know those were two lefties, but he's never going to learn to hit them if he's on the bench and it's not like Ross can hit them either.

he says that, then benches him the last two games. I know those were two lefties, but he's never going to learn to hit them if he's on the bench and it's not like Ross can hit them either.

Obviously it's a work in progress. They aren't just going to trot Schwarber out in left everyday. He is still learning the position. It will be interesting to see what happens with Ross too. His defense has been amazing.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Montero comes back. Maddon has said you have to keep a bat like Schwarber in the lineup so I could see Soler being the odd man out. Schwarber in left, Coughlin in right and Soler in spot starts. It'll be tough to do but Coughlin has out-performed him. They have also used Coughlin at 2nd so Russell can slide over to SS to relieve Starlin since he is also struggling. Then there's this whole 'problem' of Javy Baez absolutely raking in Iowa...
I know this is a "problem" and then went to get him at bats every day, but if he is hitting like that, it might be time to give Starlin a break for awhile. Castro does seem to be coming around a little bit, but with the power in Javy's bat, and the way the Cubs have struggled to score runs, I'm not sure it's not worth a shot to see what the kid can do. Certainly a gamble though.

I hope Castro, for his own sake, realizes that his career, at least as the starting SS for the Cubs, is at a very real crossroads. Time to focus on every pitch, both in the field and at bat, and start producing or give up the job. The team has a slew of good prospects that can play his position.

I hope Castro, for his own sake, realizes that his career, at least as the starting SS for the Cubs, is at a very real crossroads. Time to focus on every pitch, both in the field and at bat, and start producing or give up the job. The team has a slew of good prospects that can play his position.

Maybe he's been thinking about that all year and that's why he been so bad?

He just needs to stop thinking and swing away, trying to take more pitches isn't working out for him. He should just go back to swinging at the first pitch he thinks he can hit. Addison Russell will be the starting SS next year no matter what. It wouldn't shock me if the Cubs put him through waivers and if he gets claimed they move him.

Maybe he's been thinking about that all year and that's why he been so bad?

He just needs to stop thinking and swing away, trying to take more pitches isn't working out for him. He should just go back to swinging at the first pitch he thinks he can hit. Addison Russell will be the starting SS next year no matter what. It wouldn't shock me if the Cubs put him through waivers and if he gets claimed they move him.

Agreed. He seemed to be at his best when he was a hacker. It's in the best interests for him and the Cubs to get back on track so it's still hard to bench him. Kind of like Soriano, as bad as he was at times you couldn't really bench him because he needed to get out of his slump to provide and value in a trade. Starlin needs to do the same.

Agreed. He seemed to be at his best when he was a hacker. It's in the best interests for him and the Cubs to get back on track so it's still hard to bench him. Kind of like Soriano, as bad as he was at times you couldn't really bench him because he needed to get out of his slump to provide and value in a trade. Starlin needs to do the same.
He does really have a lot of talent, but he sometimes doesn't seem like he is trying that hard. Maybe he's just thinking too much? Maybe he just needs to start having fun again.

I think I saw something today where the Cubs are 12-3 in Ross starts as of late? His hitting frustrates me for sure, but perhaps he is helping us win in other ways that are hard to see on this side of the dugout.
Maddon will put Schwarber in situations he thinks he can be successful in, he won't be tossing him out there against great lefties. I think Castro will relax now that the deadline has passed. He makes the highlight reel plays, i just want him to make the routine play consistently. He may be coming out of his hitting slump at just the right time now. If he starts hitting, it'll be almost like we made a trade since we've gotten nothing out of him the last couple months.

I think I saw something today where the Cubs are 12-3 in Ross starts as of late? His hitting frustrates me for sure, but perhaps he is helping us win in other ways that are hard to see on this side of the dugout.
Maddon will put Schwarber in situations he thinks he can be successful in, he won't be tossing him out there against great lefties. I think Castro will relax now that the deadline has passed. He makes the highlight reel plays, i just want him to make the routine play consistently. He may be coming out of his hitting slump at just the right time now. If he starts hitting, it'll be almost like we made a trade since we've gotten nothing out of him the last couple months.

Ross only catches Arrieta and Lester, guessing it may have a little to do with the guys on the mound.

10 of 11 now and a four game sweep of the WS Champ Giants. Pretty sweet. Seems as though the bats of the youngsters are starting to come alive again. Now we are in a long stretch with a lot of teams with losing records. Can't let up.

10 of 11 now and a four game sweep of the WS Champ Giants. Pretty sweet. Seems as though the bats of the youngsters are starting to come alive again. Now we are in a long stretch with a lot of teams with losing records. Can't let up.
Benching Castro was a huge move, but I think we have to go with our best offensive lineup, and Addison is an upgrade at shortstop. Now left field and 2nd base are a different story, but it hasn't really hurt yet.
It's somewhat frustrating that we can't gain much ground in our own division, but right now at least the playoffs look like a very real possibility. Like you said, just need to beat down the bad teams coming up. I'll in Wrigley in one week!

This is starting to get crazy! 14 of 15 and solidly in wild card now...right behind Pirates for that game at to be a Wrigley. The pitching staff has been lights out and bats doing their thing as well. A sweep of the Sox would be very nice!!! Arrieta on the mound today...feeling good.

Well we can possibly knock the Giants out with a good showing this week in SF. These team is a lot of fun to watch and with Maddon Managing doesn't seem to be overwhelmed by the hype and they come to play every day. Bryant has the amazing ability to slow the game down in big moments, he's going to be good for a long long time. Hard to believe we have one of the top records in all of baseball but just happen to be in the same division as the other 2 best teams! KC is the only team with a better record than any of the 3 in our division I believe! Crazy

Well we can possibly knock the Giants out with a good showing this week in SF. These team is a lot of fun to watch and with Maddon Managing doesn't seem to be overwhelmed by the hype and they come to play every day. Bryant has the amazing ability to slow the game down in big moments, he's going to be good for a long long time. Hard to believe we have one of the top records in all of baseball but just happen to be in the same division as the other 2 best teams! KC is the only team with a better record than any of the 3 in our division I believe! Crazy
I've had more fun watching baseball this year than I have in a long time. It is a bit frustrating that we just can't make up as much ground as I'd like on the Pirates and Cardinals, but who would've thought that we would be 21 games over .500 at the end of August? This is a big week, but we have enough cushion that it wouldn't destroy us to have a bad week. But a good week would crush the Giants. Not used to being this interested so late in the year.

Honestly, I think the Cubs will be in great shape just as long as they don't get swept @SF. Win even one game in that series, they're guaranteed no less than a 5.5 game lead (6.5 as I type this) when they leave SF. Arrieta on the hill tonight is a great way to start.

Definitely an opportunity to put this thing away by winning 2/3 or sweeping..

Go Cubs!

Latest posts