Chicago Cubs 2015 Thread

DJL

Pitchers and catchers have reported. The Cubs have a boat load of talent. I put the over/under total at 83. Whatcha got?

After being dead last the past handful of years, it's hard for me to blindly pick a great record, but I know this team has built up some talent, so I do expect them to be much improved, and break the .500 mark this year. A lot of good young talent coming up, adding Lester, etc. Maybe 82-80 or 84-78 territory? It's awfully tough to predict the outcome of a 162 game schedule.

The pessimist in me would probably stay conservative and take the "under" on 83 wins, but who knows?

I'd guess 81-81. I think they'll take clear steps forward this season but they're still so young on offense it's hard to expect the playoffs this season. Once Bryant, Baez, Soler, and Russell are up and comfortable the offense should really take off. Hopefully Baez can cut back on the K's. Schwarber, Edwards, and Alcantara could also be decent contributors next season. Lester and Arrieta should be great anchors in the rotation. Hopefully they bring up Bryant and Russell sooner than later because that will be a very exciting lineup.

AHH ... I just came here specifically to start this thread!

Anyway, since you beat me to it, I'll just make my prediction ...

Preface: last year I said 70 wins, and they got to 73

In 2015, the Cubs will win at least 85 games, get a wildcard spot, might win a playoff game or two, but will not make it to the WS. So, no-dice on the Back-to-the-Future prediction.

jgcecy2vwgb6kkl0spnrkimhv.png

I think they are still a year away. My guess would be the young guys will have their ups and downs but the team will improve their W column by a few games. I'm thinking they'll end up around .500.

I'm thinking around .500 next year, then next year is the start of a long Cubs run of real success. The Cubs front office has said several times they are targeting 2019 for when this group of players start to peak.

I'm guessing around .500 too this year. There is a chance they could make the playoffs but to do that will need some offensive production from some of the young guns. How fast we turn the corner really depends on how fast Bryant/Baez/Soler are consistently productive. I think the Fowler addition could be sneaky good too. I already like the vibe of spring training articles I've read with Maddon running the ship too. If our pitching is solid, which I believe it will be we'll be able to stay in games and be competitive.

Kyle Schwarber hits a Grand Slam in his first spring AB. I'm going to say it again boys, don't mean to sound like a broken record, but this kid is a WINNER!!!! Absolutely love him and hope they don't hold him back to long if he can play decent Defense.

Kris Bryant should be their opening day 3B but won't be only because of that stupid extra year of player control thing. Baseball needs to change that. I personally think it's ******** that teams will not put their best lineup on the field simply to save some money 5 years down the road.

Kris Bryant should be their opening day 3B but won't be only because of that stupid extra year of player control thing. Baseball needs to change that. I personally think it's ******** that teams will not put their best lineup on the field simply to save some money 5 years down the road.
I agree, but it's worth waiting 3 or 4 weeks to have him for another year. Kris gets it, he may not like it, but he said right now the team has the hammer, and someday he will have the hammer. I like his confidence. If he is as good as we all think he is, then he will make plenty of money and spend a lot of time playing at the Major League level.

Was at yesterdays spring training opener for the Cubs. It was my first time at Sloan Park (have been to HoHo park many times). Needless to say the new park blows away the old one. Had tickets behind first base, but it was so nice out we sat in left field to get some sun. It was s split squad game, so we didnt see Swartz's HR, but saw Olt take one yard on a line. Going to the full squad game today so we will get to see more of the regulars and younger guys. Really want to see Russell, and Swartz.

Was at yesterdays spring training opener for the Cubs. It was my first time at Sloan Park (have been to HoHo park many times). Needless to say the new park blows away the old one. Had tickets behind first base, but it was so nice out we sat in left field to get some sun. It was s split squad game, so we didnt see Swartz's HR, but saw Olt take one yard on a line. Going to the full squad game today so we will get to see more of the regulars and younger guys. Really want to see Russell, and Swartz.
I'm definitely jealous. It's on the bucket list to go to Spring Training.

He's only on a minor league deal for now.

If he does his regular he will be dominant in the minors and move up. Then in the majors he will look like the best pitcher on the team for all but one pitch. Usually that one pitch is a two run shot or a base clearing double.

Latest posts