Chicago Cubs 2015 Thread

I had it on my computer at home, not live though, 6th inning, Cubs up 4-2, until Schlitter gave up 3, I thought man, wtf....as if turned out, the youngsters came to play and pulled it out, great win....watched the Black Hawks (but not for the 3 OT periods).....yikes, I'd still be in bed...ha ha

The top of the lineup has the potential to be scary good and they have shown it early on. Once it starts to warm up, the ball will start to leave the field on a more regular basis as well. Soler, Rizzo, and Bryant all have 30+ HR capabilities.

I'm not too worried about Lester yet. His FIP is ranked 2nd best of his career so far just 3 games in for him. In other words, he's not walking/hitting a lot batters nor is he giving up a bunch of HRs. He's also striking out batters on a regular basis. Opposing batters have simply been finding the holes in the defense thus far. His starts should even out his ERA and hits given up over the next few weeks.

At least Jon Lester isn't getting paid ace type money to get blown up like he is....oh wait yes he is. So far that deal is like Edwin Jackson's only 4 times as expensive.
Certainly cause for concern. But he missed some of spring training and he's getting used to his new surroundings. I won't hit the panic button on him just yet. There are a lot of other things going on with the Cubs that are very exciting. If we were 3-10 I would honestly be harder on him, but at 8-5 I can be a little more patient :)

It will be interesting to see if Baez can put it together. Castro is off to a nice start, but Javy gives the Cubs a lot of power if he can get it figured out. Should be an interesting summer.

Baez has crazy bat speed, if he can put it together like you mentioned, he could be a special player. Sad story about his sister, I wonder when he'll be back playing.

Last edited:
Winning record for April and right with the Cards in the Central, I'll take it! This team is so much fun to watch. Biggest concern right now is the bullpen, mainly because Ramirez and Grimm are both a ways away from the sounds of it. Those two are very valuable to our team.

Whenever I see the Cubs bullpen:

images

Whenever I see the Cubs bullpen:

images

Desperately need to get Ramirez and Grimm back soon. Big losses. Cardinals are rolling, wow. Before the season though I think we all thought a Wild Card berth, or being in the hunt would be a big step. We are still leading the wild card ;) If we are there come July Theo will find some pitching I'd think.

bleepin Sterling Castro 120+ errors in 720 something games i am over him playing shortshop.

Been following this hapless franchise for over forty-five years. I ran out of next year's about seven years ago. Some say the new owner is rebuilding the farm system and it will just be a matter of time before the Cubs are on top. Didn't take the Marlins long to win two World Series did it? Brand new franchise and two world series in it first ten years of existence. What kind of farm system did they have???

The bullpen had a good series. Great way to get back on track

Yes they did! Joe Masson is starting to show why he's a great coach! That was a bold move taking Rizzo out of the game! I'm liking the Cubs way alot his year!

Very nice sweep, showed we could win close games all series long, hold a lead when needed and also come back from a 4 run deficit. Love the attitude of this team. They'll have their lumps here and there with how young they are, but overall finally a fun baseball team to watch! Rizzo becoming one of the premiere players in the league, another steal of a trade by Theo and Co. If we are in the wild card hunt, which I fully expect us to be, we need to find another starting pitcher. Wood and Hendricks just not getting it done.

Ok, so I had them on the radio up 7-1 while driving back from Decorah around 2:30 today....get to my dinner destination around 6pm and it's 10-10 top of 11....wtf? Well, damn it, at least they won...GO Cubs....

Looks like Wellington Castillo has been traded for Yoervis Medina. He's a relief pitcher with a career ERA under 3. He's had some control issues though and will start out at Iowa.

Looks like Wellington Castillo has been traded for Yoervis Medina. He's a relief pitcher with a career ERA under 3. He's had some control issues though and will start out at Iowa.

I think it's a good trade. They save money (about $1.5m), add roster flexibility in which they'll probably add Alcantara or Valaika (short term) and he could provide decent middle relief down the road, which the Cubs definitely need.

Knew it was probably a matter of time, but was a little surprised they didn't package him in a deal to grab a bigger name/impact player. Catching around the league is thin right now and he has some value as a guy who has a little pop in his bat and has become pretty dependable behind the dish. I would think you add him in with a Baez or someone it might push a trade a little further towards happening?

Latest posts