Chicago Cubs 2014 Season Thread (super-official)

Cubs haven't scored for 22 straight innings. They are one out away from making it 23 innings straight.

Ok which one of you dorks fist bumped me today at Wrigley? Yes I was sporting my black Hawkeye hoodie and hat. The color came in handy on a cold day.

Wood was the man last night. Glad the Cubs won! Like really glad!

All that aside I am still sticking to my guns and calling Ricketts a bum that has no business owning a team like the Cubs.

So I see that the Cubs win 5-1 yesterday. Alright, some offense! Then I see that the pitcher has 4 RBI's... LOL. I guess SOMEONE has to produce the offense.

Hey I get what the guy is doing but who lays a giant turd for half a decade and gives nothing to his fans to try and get a maybe to the playoffs. Just cuz a guy has a plan does not mean its a good one.
Or you simply don't understand the plan, the restrictions of the purchase, and the attempts they have made to sign attractive FAs? I'm leaning more toward what I said rather than what you said. Building a consistent winner long term is more important to me as a fan than building a team that can compete once in awhile and maybe try to get to the playoffs.

Or you simply don't understand the plan, the restrictions of the purchase, and the attempts they have made to sign attractive FAs? I'm leaning more toward what I said rather than what you said. Building a consistent winner long term is more important to me as a fan than building a team that can compete once in awhile and maybe try to get to the playoffs.

I was aware of the restrictions of the purchase and of the limitations of the exhisting farm system. There was nothing in the farm system. I just have trouble buying into the blind faith that this was the only way the cubs could be competitve in future. As in all restructures there is pain but this process has been beyond frusterating and does not seem to have any real end date. If they were going all in on the young tallent why arn't guys like Lake and Olt getting more at bats? I could get behind them more if that was the case.

I was aware of the restrictions of the purchase and of the limitations of the exhisting farm system. There was nothing in the farm system. I just have trouble buying into the blind faith that this was the only way the cubs could be competitve in future. As in all restructures there is pain but this process has been beyond frusterating and does not seem to have any real end date. If they were going all in on the young tallent why arn't guys like Lake and Olt getting more at bats? I could get behind them more if that was the case.

If the cubs did not tank the last two years they don't have Bryant and the #4 pick this year which I am guessing will be a pretty legit pitching prospect. In the next two years we will see a big wave of prospects. It's not like the cubs haven't tried for FA either. Anibal Sanchez simply wanted to stay in Detroit and Did you want to pay what they Yanks paid for Tanaka? Maybe price was ok, but the opt out after 4 years was silly.

I too would like to see Olt and Lake play more, but they are playing the platoon splits, and honestly they have to find time for Valbuena, Bonifacio, and Barney if anyone of them wants to get traded. I believe you will see a lot more of those guys once Barney is moved, which will possibly happen sooner than later.

If the cubs did not tank the last two years they don't have Bryant and the #4 pick this year which I am guessing will be a pretty legit pitching prospect. In the next two years we will see a big wave of prospects. It's not like the cubs haven't tried for FA either. Anibal Sanchez simply wanted to stay in Detroit and Did you want to pay what they Yanks paid for Tanaka? Maybe price was ok, but the opt out after 4 years was silly.

I too would like to see Olt and Lake play more, but they are playing the platoon splits, and honestly they have to find time for Valbuena, Bonifacio, and Barney if anyone of them wants to get traded. I believe you will see a lot more of those guys once Barney is moved, which will possibly happen sooner than later.

Good notes about the Barney move. I am a fan of Darwin but wish he could bring somthing more at the plate.

I hope they do Smarj go this year. He's been a loyal Cub and I think he can be a great 2 or 3 man in a rotation. Lets hope the guys back him up today and get his first W of the season.

Happy with what Rizzo has done as of late too. He started cold but is putting some good ABs together.

I don't follow a ton of farm stuff but sounds like the injury bug has bit some guys pretty good in the lowe ranks.

Theo has been flipping vetran players for prospects the last couole of years. Dempster,Soto, Byrd, Maholm, Johnson, and Garza deals have all brought solid prospects into the farm system. A lot of the names you are hearing about came from those trades. Just tellls you how bare the farm system was. I'm sure Theo plans to continue that trend with Samardzija, Barney, Bonifacio, Hammel and Jackson etc. if they play well enough.

Would like to just see them stick Olt out there and see what we have. I don't think Valbuena has much trade value anyways even if he does play. He wouldn't bring much in a trade so just play Olt.
I have noticed Rizzo has really changed his approach several times with 2 strikes this year which I love to see. I can definitely see a concerted effort to shorten his swing and stride in 2 strike situtations... especially against lefties. It is helping him out a lot.

How appropriate was it to have the Cubs snatch defeat from the jaws of victory on this day of celebration? So Cub-like.

Latest posts