Chicago Cubs 2014 Season Thread (super-official)

Soler is just a freak specimen. Built like a brick house and long strides.
David Kaplan brought up a very good point yesterday, in that if all these young guys can stick in the starting lineup next year the Cubs won't have very much money tied up in their lineup. They will have A LOT of $$ to spend if the right pieces become available. He also said the Cubs will win 80-81 games and be in Wild Card contention next year. I think they could if their pitching throws like it has been the last month. I really do see them going hard after Lester. Bryan'ts position is really the big ? with me. Where he plays will determine what we need to pick up IMO.

Another Great Quote on Schwarber in today's Tribune, which really excites me. So far has thrown out 34% of runners in 20 games catching.

"To say he has been better than advertised is fairly accurate," said Tim Cossins, the Cubs' minor league catching coordinator. "He has a desire to catch and has the natural ability to catch. His makeup, which is completely off the charts, has been the separator to his development thus far. He's catching very well."

Soler has 2 homers tonight. First one to tie the game at 2 to dead center and the second one was an absolute blast to left to put the Cubs up 6-2.

This is going to be a great ******* ride!!!!!

That was awesome watching that game tonight! Whenever you can blast the birds especially on their own field s simply the best! Still smiling and can't wait to see how these young cubs work out.

Chicago Cubs
60-74, 5th in NL Central Division

You guys need to focus on football. It will help us win. :)

Haha you gotta love the giddiness that us Cubs fans have, always hoping for and believing the future to be better. Finally it's starting to look like this time it might actually work out! Could be a fun ride the next decade!

Cubs win again today. Another nice showing by Soler Baez is struggling, but he has all the tools, and he's young. He will learn.

I think Baez just needs to cut down his swing in certain situations and work on seeing the ball as he swings at a lot of bad pitches. He'll hit bombs, I just don't want him to turn in to Mark Reynolds Either.
I was trying to think of who Soler reminds me of, then it came to me...Vlad Guererro. Similar long lean build and strong as an ox. Potential 5 tool player.

I think Baez just needs to cut down his swing in certain situations and work on seeing the ball as he swings at a lot of bad pitches. He'll hit bombs, I just don't want him to turn in to Mark Reynolds Either.
I was trying to think of who Soler reminds me of, then it came to me...Vlad Guererro. Similar long lean build and strong as an ox. Potential 5 tool player.

Now that you say it, Soler does kind of remind me of a young Vlad. Let's hope he can stay healthy and continue to get experience this month without any hiccups. As for Baez, I don't think anyone is surprised by his struggles. The same thing happened in AAA to begin the year. I agree with you that he needs to work on his approach, especially with 2 strikes. With his bat speed, he doesn't need to swing for the fences every pitch to impact a game. He will learn and eventually get his average up. How much it can go up is the question. I'm not sure he'll ever be a high average hitter but you never know.

Now that you say it, Soler does kind of remind me of a young Vlad.

Soler is the spitting image of Vlad Guerrero, complete with the nose to toes strike zone, and jack-hammer crack of the bat. If he can produce at that level, this team will be contending sooner, rather than later.

Shark looking to come back to Chicago after his contract is up with Oakland.

~LINK~

From Article:

"Samardzija said he expects to reach free agency in November of 2015, according to Bruce Levine of WSCR-AM (on Twitter). Though Oakland obviously attributed significant value to controlling him next year at a below-market salary, giving up Russell to do so, it is hardly surprising to hear that an extension is not in the works. Samardzija went on to say that he is open to both the Cubs and White Sox as a free agent and indicated that the city of Chicago is still a priority for him (link)."

Well Edwin Jackson is back. Gave up 5 runs in the first before his exit. On the bright side, Rizzo and Soler both have 1st inning RBI's. Soler is impressive. He's been doing it long enough now that I think he might be the real deal. Baez and Alcantara still have a ways to go.

Latest posts