Chicago Cubs 2014 Season Thread (super-official)

It has to be more than just one top prospect for an All Star SS. SS is a premium position and I don't know if people realize what a commodity it is. Smardz brought a couple high prospects plus Straily. I would think with Castro's age, position, plus the fact he has a very manageable locked up contract through 2019 (perhaps most important out of all) we would need to get at least 2 if not 3 guys we feel have a great chance to help us at the MLB level soon.

Agreed. Not that Castro has been THAT great so far, but he's been pretty darn good in August and he's still young. There's still time for him to be a .300+ hitter. He's done it before after regressing a bit the previous couple years.

You don't trade one proven player for one player that "might" turn out, straight up. As you said, at least 2 or 3 prospects.

Agreed. Not that Castro has been THAT great so far, but he's been pretty darn good in August and he's still young. There's still time for him to be a .300+ hitter. He's done it before after regressing a bit the previous couple years.

You don't trade one proven player for one player that "might" turn out, straight up. As you said, at least 2 or 3 prospects.

Especially when you are giving up a player who is just as young and who is signed for years as a decent salary

For a Rusney Castillo update, he reportedly may sign with a team by the end of this week. 6 teams are viewed as likely landing spots including the Red Sox, Tigers, Phillies, Yankees, Mariners, & Cubs.

Here is a link that shows how his stats compare to other top Cuban prospects the last couple of years.
~LINK~

For a Rusney Castillo update, he reportedly may sign with a team by the end of this week. 6 teams are viewed as likely landing spots including the Red Sox, Tigers, Phillies, Yankees, Mariners, & Cubs.

Here is a link that shows how his stats compare to other top Cuban prospects the last couple of years.
~LINK~

Think we are at the point we need to spend money on pitching, not sure this guy fills our need especially if we keep Alcantara in CF. Any idea what $ amount he is projected to go for?

Think we are at the point we need to spend money on pitching, not sure this guy fills our need especially if we keep Alcantara in CF. Any idea what $ amount he is projected to go for?

I'm not sure but according to Ken Rosenthal's tweet earlier today the Cubs, Yankees, and Phillies aren't expected to make high bids. The Tigers, Red Sox, and now the SF Giants are expected to be in the mix. No mention of the earlier stated Mariners interest.

Edit: According to MLBTradeRumors, the bidding could reach or even go above the $55Mil level.

Music to my ears! ~LINK~

Steve Adams:
Much has been made of the Cubs‘ plan to pursue top-of-the-rotation arms this offseason, but GM Jed Hoyer said to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times this weekend that a veteran position player is a priority as well. “…[T]here’s a lot of positions on the field that we want to dedicate to the guys that are here or to young players,” said Hoyer. “But I do think it’s important to have some veteran guys with good approaches that these guys can lean on… … It’s certainly something we want to find.”

Music to my ears! ~LINK~

Steve Adams:
Much has been made of the Cubs‘ plan to pursue top-of-the-rotation arms this offseason, but GM Jed Hoyer said to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times this weekend that a veteran position player is a priority as well. “…[T]here’s a lot of positions on the field that we want to dedicate to the guys that are here or to young players,” said Hoyer. “But I do think it’s important to have some veteran guys with good approaches that these guys can lean on… … It’s certainly something we want to find.”

My guess is they won't be in much on the Cuban guy then. Wonder who they could get though? Not a lot of great FA position players out there this offseason, may have to be via trade? Or just a lesser type player not a star.

At this point my guess would be an outfielder of some sort. The infield is pretty much set for the foreseeable future barring a trade. Perhaps Melky Cabrera can be pulled away from Toronto or a guy like Delmon Young can be had cheap to settle the OF until Almora and Soler are ready.

Arietta with another dominate outing today. Boy that trade is looking like a steal right now. Please Please Please let him stay healthy the next 4-5 years!!!

Arietta with another dominate outing today. Boy that trade is looking like a steal right now. Please Please Please let him stay healthy the next 4-5 years!!!
I've been impressed with he and most of of the starting pitchers lately. Obviously Jackson is horrible, and Wood has struggled at times, but you add a true #1 pitcher to this staff and I think it's a solid staff.
Baez homers again today. He is taking his lumps at the plate, but fun to see him a hit a few out. I don't think we have to worry about his confidence being shaken.

Dang you Cubs! You go and sweep the Orioles! How are we going to get a top 5 pick if you keep winning! Enough already :D

The potential for me to win my bet that the Cubs would lose 100 might be taking a hit too!

I know they are completely screwing things up winning!
Wish they'd get Bryant some OF time, I think he's ready to hit next year but is a really weak 3B. I like the Coughlan pick up by the way, he has played pretty well and would be a good 4th/5th OF behind Soler/Alcantara and maybe Bryant. I think he has 5 triples on the year. Either that or I'm still not against moving Alcantara back to 2B and Baez/Castro on the left side. Easier to find OFers this offseason than good INF i think.

Soler has now been apparently called up.

Keith Murphy ‏@MurphyKeith 19m

The Iowa Cubs are now the Chicago Cubs. RT @thekapman: Cubs call up outfielder Jorge Soler from Triple-A Iowa

Soler has now been apparently called up.

Keith Murphy ‏@MurphyKeith 19m

The Iowa Cubs are now the Chicago Cubs. RT @thekapman: Cubs call up outfielder Jorge Soler from Triple-A Iowa

I kinda wish they'd have left some guys for the ICubs to make a playoff run. :(

Latest posts